Fenix Torture Test

Lunaoutdoors

Newly Enlightened
Good morning CandlePower Forums!

I'm new to posting, but have been an avid reader for several years now.

I'm planning a beat-it-'till-it-dies torture test for two Fenix Flashlights: the TK22 and the PD32.

I'd like suggestions on what kinds of things to do to the lights. There have been torture tests in the past, but I'm wanting to reach out to the community to get suggestions on what kinds of tests I should perform.

I think that in the end I'm going to shoot it with a rifle and a shotgun, and if that doesn't kill them, going to blow them up. :)

Any ideas?

Swede74

Enlightened
It's not something most lights will ever have to endure in real life, but it would make a fun video if you have the equipment you need. Tie one end of a rope to the light and the other end to the back of a car and drive at different speeds on different surfaces. Have someone else drive behind you in another car, and a third person film the torture. Or, you could just drive the car with the light tied to it yourself, then take photos of the result. I'm sure it has been done before, but not often enough :) It's probably best done in the dark, with the light turned on.

mmjsport

Newly Enlightened
I was always interested in how long a fenix light could last when you take it swimming below the 2 meters they state it's good for. I wonder if you can use them at 15 feet or 50 feet. And if so, for how long. People say they aren't diving lights, well someone put that to the test. But if your just wanting to kill a TK22 for no reason, you can always send it my way and I'll make sure it lives. lol

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to see drop tests onto a hard floor from different heights, as I think that's the most realistic abuse test for what a light may encounter in reality. I remember seeing a Nitecore D10 repeatedly dropped from above head height, a Quark Mini AA thrown off of a bridge, an E01 from a few floors up. Repeated drops are the key factor, to see how well the connections inside hold up.

Waterproofing is another good one to know about, but most others are just for fun.

Lunaoutdoors

Newly Enlightened
Make it watch Oprah Winfrey!

I'm afraid that I wouldn't live through that... :)

All good ideas so far:

Shot with shotgun
Tied behind car and driven at varying speeds (daytime and nighttime)
Depth test - 2+ meters (not sure if i'll be able to get it down past 2 meters with the facilities available to me, but I"ll wee what I can do)
Boil it
Freeze it
Burn it (I'm thinking this would melt the seals - if i do it it will probably be after the depth test... :) )

Great ideas. Anything else?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a similar test done on a Zebralight CR123 a year or two back.

Don't forget:
- Run through washing machine.
- Run through drier.
- Run through blender.
- :thinking:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Real world type abuse followed up by something spectacular.
Drop from heights a light would normally be used, run through the washing machine, drop off a bicycle at road speed, etc. Try exposing the light to chemicals.
If the light is still alive, shoot it or crush it at the end of testing.

zoom6zoom

Newly Enlightened
I was going to weapon mount my PD32, but was very disappointed to find they don't make a remote tailcap switch for that series.

Capolini

Banned
I have some ideas but they don't belong on here!

ciao,Roberto,,,,,,"Capo di Capo",,,,,,,,,,,"Keep Lighting Up The Darkness"

I just thought of PG rated one!!

Blast Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Chile' [Slight Return] on a VERY powerful stereo and see if the lens is still in tact and not shattered after the song is over!!!:rock::clap::rock:

Last edited:

foxxkat

Newly Enlightened
I was always interested in how long a fenix light could last when you take it swimming below the 2 meters they state it's good for. I wonder if you can use them at 15 feet or 50 feet. And if so, for how long. People say they aren't diving lights, well someone put that to the test. But if your just wanting to kill a TK22 for no reason, you can always send it my way and I'll make sure it lives. lol

i second this and the drop test suggestion. they are the most practical, and results the most useful in real life imo. however other suggestions are all fun to watch :)

what about throw (literally) against a wall test? scenario: u're chasing a thief and losing the race and the only thing on hand is your light...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk