ThruNite TiS- a few observations

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened
ThruNite is having a promotional sale on the TiS, pricing them at $6.95 rather than the $16 list price. I bought two. Shipping was $2 for two. It runs on a single AAA cell.

Appearance
I ordered the green and the blue. They are beautiful! I prefer any color to black, but these lights are good-looking. It is also available in red and (yuck) black. Knurling is really rough! If you like it, call it grippy. If it's too coarse for you, you can file your nails with it.

Build Quality
The TiS uses a twisty interface for its single mode. It seems well made, but it uses a compressible rubber donut instead of a spring to press the battery into the head contact. On one of my copies, the rubber donut fell off. On both copies, I have to tighten the head all the way to the end of its travel to activate the light. If the donut wears, I might not be able to tighten the head enough to make the contact. I'll have to put some tinfoil in the bottom of the battery tube to pad it out. Threads are smooth and lubricated.

The light has a lug at the end for a split ring (which is included), so it will not tail stand. It's a fraction longer than a Fenix E05, but that's fine with me.

Light Quality
The Cree XP-E R4 emitter puts out a pleasant cool white, which ThruNite specs as 60 lumens with 65 minutes runtime. The light has a deep reflector, and the beam has a tight hot spot with wide but dim spill. For indoor use, I find too much contrast between the spot and the spill. It would make a nice ceiling-bounce light, but as I said, it doesn't tail stand. It's very throwy for such a little light, and seems better suited to outdoor use. I compare it to a Fenix E05, which is less bright but has a more diffuse beam, which I prefer.

Shipping from the US ThruNite store was quick, and at $2, a good deal.

Would I buy this light again?
At $6.95, it's a great light to give away to friends. With its single mode, it will not confuse anyone, it looks spiffy and it puts out a lot of light. At $16, I'm not sure I'd buy it again; I don't love the hot spot, and I prefer a light that can tail stand.

DPRoberts

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I just got my blue TiS yesterday as well. It's a great little light. It's my first "real" flashlight - I have 3-4 other cheapy flashlights, from a 2xAA LED penlight to a 2xAA incandescent Mini Maglite, and the TiS blows them all away. Personally, I was very impressed with its beam - it has a good, even hotspot and what I feel is pretty good spill & throw (especially compared to the other lights).

I would agree with you about having to tighten the head all the way to turn it on - I'll have to remember the aluminum foil trick. Also, mine arrived with a fair amount of grit gumming up the threads. I'm going to have to clean it up when I find some good silicone lubricant.

Overall, I think it's a great light for noobs like me who don't know how much better good lights can be. I wish I had bought a few extras to give as gifts.

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
ThruNite is having a promotional sale on the TiS, pricing them at $6.95 rather than the $16 list price.
At $6.95, it's a great light to give away to friends. With its single mode, it will not confuse anyone, it looks spiffy and it puts out a lot of light. At $16, I'm not sure I'd buy it again; I don't love the hot spot, and I prefer a light that can tail stand.
Agreed! However, with some very careful placement on a near flat surface, it can tail stand lol..