Microprocessor controlled Led Lenser and NiMH

wobble987

Newly Enlightened
A lot of people here associate/relate Led Lenser torch as unregulated. Though most are referring to the P-series.
Now that Led Lenser came out with the M-series - which is a microprocessor controlled series. Does that mean that Led Lenser Torch are now 'regulated'?

As such, can one use NiMH battery with our Led Lenser?

I have M14, M5, and H14. all is powered by AA battery.

In the user manual;
M14 says i can use any battery (AA, Accumulator/NiMH/Lithium)
M5 says that i must use alkaline only
H14 says that i must use alkaline only.

Dirtbasher

Newly Enlightened
A lot of people here associate/relate Led Lenser torch as unregulated. Though most are referring to the P-series.
Now that Led Lenser came out with the M-series - which is a microprocessor controlled series. Does that mean that Led Lenser Torch are now 'regulated'?

As such, can one use NiMH battery with our Led Lenser?

I have M14, M5, and H14. all is powered by AA battery.

In the user manual;
M14 says i can use any battery (AA, Accumulator/NiMH/Lithium)
M5 says that i must use alkaline only
H14 says that i must use alkaline only.

I use AAA NiMh in my MT7, and they work in the P7 too
the AA lights have difficulty taking the larger diameter /mAh NiMh batteries ,but the 2000mAh cells fit

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Microprocessor controlled" and "regulated" aren't the same thing. You can have either without the other, or you can have both. I would follow the manufacturer's recommendations unless you are adventurous and willing to risk a :poof:.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume the light has 3 cells in it. If you used NiMH instead of alkaline, it's possible that you would reduce the LED's lifetime, possibly as short as a few seconds. Alkalines have high internal resistance, which will help limit the current, like a resistor in the circuit. NiMH have much lower internal resistance, so can produce much higher current. A small overcurrent might overheat the light and cut the LED lifetime, or could damage something if it gets too hot. A large overcurrent could destroy the LED quickly. To really make a decent guess about what might happen, you'd have to know what LED is in the light. If it's a Cree, you might be okay short term at least. If it's Philips or other low-Vf device, you're more likely to have trouble.

wobble987

Newly Enlightened
I assume the light has 3 cells in it.
M5 has 1 Cells
M14 has 4 Cells
H14 has 4 Cells

To really make a decent guess about what might happen, you'd have to know what LED is in the light. If it's a Cree, you might be okay short term at least. If it's Philips or other low-Vf device, you're more likely to have trouble.
as far as i can gather.
M5 Cree 1.25W
M14 Cree X-RE
H14 unknown

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, that clears things up at least a bit. M5 clearly has a boost regulator in it, and so is regulated. That's why you can use any type you want.

The other two, using 4 cells, still unclear. Four alkaline AA cells in series could easily provide way more than the rated current of the X-RE if unregulated. If the LED has really good heatsink, and the light has a little resistance, it might survive this, but I would consider it irresponsible to manufacture a product this way. NiMH cells can provide higher voltage at very high loads, but with 4 cells I can't see how NiMH would damage a light that can survive new alkalines.

I stand by my initial recommendation - if you're timid, obey the manufacturer's recommendations. If you're bold, try NiMH!

wobble987

Newly Enlightened
thanks DIW, strange isn't it?

I will adhere to the manufacture recommendation. I would like the option to use NiMH on those 2 torches though, i like having fresh battery when i wanted to. with alkaline i can't throw it out until i finish the entire battery capacity.

i currently have:
eneloop on the m14
and
duracell alk on the m5 and h14

the response from led lenser.
The H14R will operate on 220 lumens in boost power while the H14 is on 210lumens and maximum running time for H14R is 25 hours in low power while just 13 hours for H14.

The torches that can accept the normal batteries will still operate on NiMH batteries. However we do not recommend you to use them due to these below reasons:
- The NiMH battery run in a lower voltage than the normal battery, therefore it will not function the SLT mode properly.
- The NiMH battery will make an inconstant running of voltage of the torch (up and down/high and low), therefore in instant or in the long run it might damage the unit.

does this makes sense?