Zebralight SC600w II L2 Announced for September

Belcantor

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight has recently updated their roadmap. They announce a revised SC600w II L2 for September. As in the SC52w they will use a neutral-white (4400 K) XM-L2 with estimated 1020 lumen.

Hopefully they can manage the appointed date.

Interested in the original information? http://www.zebralight.com/ (Press the red button "Compare All Models" on the left side.)

3Cylinders

Newly Enlightened
Great find! I have been eagerly awaiting this one. I also saw that an H600w Mk II with the same specs are on the roadmap. I will be picking up both of these for sure.

Belcantor

Newly Enlightened
Especially interesting seems to me the proposed thermal regulation with 384 levels. No longer a stupid step down. Can't wait to hold this masterpiece in my hand!

jak

Enlightened
14 modes? I wonder what the 3 additional modes are compared to the non-w SC600 II...
One more additional mode per level?

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
I'm not sure why no one mentioned the PID regulation that is listed in the spreadsheet. It is the coolest part of this light.

Basically, the light has 384 discrete levels controlled by PID thermal regulation.

In a nutshell the light will maintain highest output possible based on thermal temperatures using 384 levels and a PID controller. The PID not only regulates the output based on the temperature it is reading, but it also monitors present conditions and the rate of heat rise to regulate the output. If the light is outside in a cool environment it will not need to cut back on the output as much as if it is sitting on a table with no breeze in a 75 degree house. It monitors how much it needs to cut back and self adjusts to keep from overshooting optimal output.

Use of the PID cuts the output as little and as slow as possible to maintain the absolute highest output possible. No cutting 300-400 lumens to keep it from overheating like other lights do. And for the most part, and according to ZL, nearly imperceptible.
[h=1][/h].

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm not sure why no one mentioned the PID regulation that is listed in the spreadsheet. It is the coolest part of this light.

Belcantor mentioned it, and I agree it will be a really nice feature to have!

Ti²C

Newly Enlightened
the PID thing is indeed a nice addition to one of the best UI,
but do you think they'll someday be more confident in their products and offer a better support than a single year of warranty ?

juplin

Enlightened
I just have 3 letters and 2 numbers in response to this thread. SC62d........ But When? And How Bright?
SC62d is more attractive, considering it will be the only Hi CRI cadidate of ZL's 18650 flashlight family.

juplin

Enlightened
I found a good layman's explanation here.
But don't forget PID Thermal Regulation also means that the LED current is not current regulated anymore.
PID Thermal Regulation is actually a compromise between maximum light output and flashlight size at the cost of constant LED current.

Bill S.

Newly Enlightened

Basically, the light has 384 discrete levels controlled by PID thermal regulation.

In a nutshell the light will maintain highest output possible based on thermal temperatures using 384 levels and a PID controller. The PID not only regulates the output based on the temperature it is reading, but it also monitors present conditions and the rate of heat rise to regulate the output. If the light is outside in a cool environment it will not need to cut back on the output as much as if it is sitting on a table with no breeze in a 75 degree house. It monitors how much it needs to cut back and self adjusts to keep from overshooting optimal output.

Use of the PID cuts the output as little and as slow as possible to maintain the absolute highest output possible. No cutting 300-400 lumens to keep it from overheating like other lights do. And for the most part, and according to ZL, nearly imperceptible.

Sounds great, but what happens if you drop it?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
How thick is the heat sink which the LED is mounted on? I assume the board which the LED is mounted on is heat sinked to the body somehow with a nice thick heat path to the aluminum head/body.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
How thick is the heat sink which the LED is mounted on? I assume the board which the LED is mounted on is heat sinked to the body somehow with a nice thick heat path to the aluminum head/body.

Im no expert, but do know that the Zebralight body is made of one solid piece of Alcoa aluminium so heat transfer is thru one solid path. The only other piece of the body is the tailcap. So heat dissipation is very good in these lights.