Can I run an EB2 head on an EB1 Body?

Jdunn709

Newly Enlightened
I'm relatively new to flashlights (coming over from the knife world) so please forgive me if this is a silly question, but...

Would it be possible to get the power of the EB2 with the size of an EB1 by using the short body tube and a higher voltage battery?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I don't think so. I do not have a EB2 as of yet but I do have an E2DLU and my understanding is that they are very similar. I cannot run the E2DLU on a 17670 so I assume you can't run an EB2 on a 16340. I get the impression that Surefire is making their electronics so we cannot use lith - ion batteries.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EB2 and E2DL Ultra heads will produce about 30% less maximum output when run on a 17670. When I tried the EB2 head powered by an AW16340 in the EB1 body the output looked similar, as would be expected. However, when powered by the 16340 the EB2 head would sometimes drop into low mode instead of staying on high. I didn't fool with it much after that.

Flashlight Dave I'm not sure why your E2DLU wouldn't work on 1x17670. Is it possible that the battery was not far enough into the tube to make contact with the tailcap spring? I know on mine that an AW 17670 will fit but it requires a little bit of help to get all the way in as it seems the battery compartment tapers slightly near the tail. The spring on the head is not strong enough to push it all the way into the tube.

On the other hand, the 17670 fits fine in both EB2's I have tried it with. It's snug but not so tight that the battery can't slide out on its own.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
Flashlight Dave I'm not sure why your E2DLU wouldn't work on 1x17670. Is it possible that the battery was not far enough into the tube to make contact with the tailcap spring? I know on mine that an AW 17670 will fit but it requires a little bit of help to get all the way in as it seems the battery compartment tapers slightly near the tail. The spring on the head is not strong enough to push it all the way into the tube.

On the other hand, the 17670 fits fine in both EB2's I have tried it with. It's snug but not so tight that the battery can't slide out on its own.

The voltage on the battery was 3.9v so it might be a little low but still the E2DLU don't like the battery. It runs well below 500 lumens and flashes when it comes on.I got lucky with the tube. The 17670 fits smoothly without any friction at all. I can turn it upside down and it will slide right out.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
Well it turns out that my 17670's voltage was a little too low. After charging the battery it performed much better with the E2DL head .I still had a bit of a preflash but it performed much better than before.