Surefire L2 (luxeon IV) - what batteries are safe (2xRCR123?)

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,
This may well be a question that has been asked several times over the last 7, or more, years, but allow me to ask it again.

Recently, Surefire started offering rechargable batteries for several of it's flashlights. One of which is the recent L2, 200 lumen.

so, if Surefire endorses the use of 3.0 volt rechargables for the current L2, I guess the same goes for the older Luxeon version (100 lumen)

But, can it also run on two 3.7 volt cells?? I've only tried this setup for some 30 seconds, without harm.

Does anyone has any experience with such a setup??

Thanks for shedding light on this matter.
Joris

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no such thing as a luxeon IV

The old L2 uses a luxeon V emitter and the newer LX2 uses a cree XR-E

The L2 driver boosts ~6V into an LED with Vf ~7V, so that's a definite no on the 3.7V cells as they come off the charger at 4.2V each. You would end up frying the driver or overdriving the LED.

The LX2 uses a buck driver to lower the voltage from ~6V into Vf ~ 3.2V, so maybe 2 x 3.7V would be OK but that depends on the upper voltage limit of the driver. A better option would be to use 1 x 14670 or get the light bored for 1 x 17670.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a single 14670 in my old LuxV L2
Works pretty well, but I have no real runtime test, so I couldmt tell you how long it runs.

Boring it for a 17670 is probably the best option