JETBEAM BC-40, What do you think?

Capolini

Banned
I hit the "search" key to make sure there was not a similar thread, I think I am good to go!

I would like to know if anyone has one and what they think about it? I would venture to say that there are some of you out there!!
:sssh:

This was my first decent light. However, since I am a true "Flashaholic" and wanted more, more, more and brighter, brighter and brighter, it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle!

Tonight, I got a rekindled appreciation for it. Since One out of the Two powerful torches I have is getting fixed[TK-75] or replaced, I am alternating my BST[Black Shadow Terminator] with my Jetbeam BC-40.

The Jetbeam BC-40 is a Two mode light. Low:130 Lumens, High: 830 Lumens. Regardless of which light I use, I like to light up the forest, so I rarely use low! It is a light, light[no pun intended], easy to carry, does NOT get hot one bit[takes two 18650] and is 8.66" long, with a throw of 377 yards and uses Cree XP-G, R5 LED's.The optics are very nice[ Quality reflector]. The price was also right, $60.00. I will say for the money it is my BEST light. Certainly sufficient enough to walk the Dog at night. That is what brought me to this new addiction!

It has a very clean, useful and potent beam. When I take walks at night with "Capo" my Siberian, we go to isolated areas, back roads where we are lucky to see a couple cars in an hours time. This one walk in the woods is on a trail with a Creek on one side[ about 100 foot drop] and a rising bluff on the other. Basically the trees form a canopy over the trail which resembles a tunnel. So, as I was using the Jetbeam tonight I am thinking, this light is awesome! There are some straight away stretches that are several hundred yards long and it has no problem shining all the way down natures tunnel!

To end the chatter, If I am honest with myself, I DO NOT need these other lights that have tremendous throw, flood, ect.,, just to walk the Dog!!Someone on this site said a few weeks ago, "You use a TK-75 to walk your Dog??!!!"
:huh: But I do it anyway because I am a flashaholic!! Don't get me wrong, I do not use my TK-75 to walk the Siberian through neighborhoods!! I am in dark, desolate areas where I can enjoy the beauty of these lights!

The Jetbeam BC-40 really is a great light. It may help me realize that I do not have to keep on buying and buying and buying,,or will it tame this Flashaholic?

:thinking::laughing::mecry:
So, here is where you fine Ladies and Gentlemen come in.

I would enjoy your input, experience and opinion on the Jetbeam BC-40.

Thanks for your time, enjoy your torches!

Ciao,,,,,,,,,,Roberto,,,,,,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's definitely a review around here somewhere (by selfbuilt I think).

It's a great light with a simple user interface which you don't see too often these days. The only thing I didn't like with mine was the PWM flicker on low mode. If they released a XM-L2 version with no PWM I'd definitely buy another one.

Capolini

Banned
There's definitely a review around here somewhere (by selfbuilt I think).

It's a great light with a simple user interface which you don't see too often these days. The only thing I didn't like with mine was the PWM flicker on low mode. If they released a XM-L2 version with no PWM I'd definitely buy another one.

Thanks for the reply! Somehow , and I am glad about this, I don't notice the PWM on this light or my BST[Black Shadow Terminator]!! You guys with more experience regarding this probably have a better eye than me.:)
Oh Yaaaa,,,,,,the reason I do not notice it on this one [and the BST] is because I always have it on high[Jetbeam] and Turbo[BST]!!!!

Ciao,,,,,,,,,Roberto,,,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Last edited:

full m3tal

Newly Enlightened
I have tried to convince myself that some of my other lights are superior to my BC-40. While some are, the BC-40 is simply a great flashlight (price considered).

Capolini

Banned
I have tried to convince myself that some of my other lights are superior to my BC-40. While some are, the BC-40 is simply a great flashlight (price considered).

Thank you full m3tal!!! Well said!

Ciao,Roberto,,,,,,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

P.S There is something I wish all you fine people could help me with!! Some imbecile[learned this word from my dad and the Three Stooges when I was a kid!!! lol!]
from one of the "Philly" post offices sent my TK-75 to St. Paul Minnesota instead of Broken Arrow, OK.[Fenix outfitters] !!:oops::sigh: Like they say, "Don't sweat the small stuff"! But that is MAJOR,,,I am a "Flashaholic" going through withdraw!

Capolini

Banned
Here's selfbuilt's review:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...igh-Output-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!

@Capolini, I couldn't help notice that you are from the US but you use the word "torches" like we do here in the UK. Is that normal in that part of the US or are you from somewhere else?

Thanks for selfbuilts review,I will check it out.

I am from Jupiter!!

I have lived in Suburban Philadelphia for most of my life. I have heard many people in the States use the term "Torch". I think I also may have picked it up from different dealers and their descriptions of lights[ Hey I said lights!] and also on some reviews! So, if I confused you, I totally understand! I guess you can say I am diversified in that regard! One minute I will say torch, the next minute I will say light!

Ciao,,,,,,Roberto,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

P.S However, My blood line comes mostly from Italy with some German and Polish mixed in!!

oh,,,no,,,,,,,,,,,,Here comes the jokes!

wjv

Enlightened
I've always liked JetBeam. I have the BA20 and it is a nice light with lots of throw for its class of light. However, lately I think that JetBeam has been exaggerating their run times by a significant amount, which also make me question their lumen numbers. I think all flashlight companies push the numbers somewhat, but unless JetBeam has found a major breakthrough in efficiencies. . . For example with the SA10 they are claiming 100 lumens for 11 hours off of a single AA battery!

That said, I have had zero complaints about my BA20 and it definitely out-performed my expectations.

On a side note, I'm just the opposite of you. I also live in a rural area and when I walk my dog I take my Fenix LD10 set on 3 or 13 lumens. . Lately I have been focusing on flashlights with lower modes than big lumen numbers. I love the fact that in "normal" mode the LD10 cycles through 3->13->45 and always turns on in the 3 lumen mode. Of course if I need real power, I can always switch to Turbo mode and get that whopping 100 lumens :laughing: Like many Fenix lights, the LD10 favors throw over flood.

If I need more "reach", I can always grab my PD32UE or the TK15. . . .

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
I've always liked JetBeam. I have the BA20 and it is a nice light with lots of throw for its class of light. However, lately I think that JetBeam has been exaggerating their run times by a significant amount, which also make me question their lumen numbers. I think all flashlight companies push the numbers somewhat, but unless JetBeam has found a major breakthrough in efficiencies. . . For example with the SA10 they are claiming 100 lumens for 11 hours off of a single AA battery!

That said, I have had zero complaints about my BA20 and it definitely out-performed my expectations.

On a side note, I'm just the opposite of you. I also live in a rural area and when I walk my dog I take my Fenix LD10 set on 3 or 13 lumens. . Lately I have been focusing on flashlights with lower modes than big lumen numbers. I love the fact that in "normal" mode the LD10 cycles through 3->13->45 and always turns on in the 3 lumen mode. Of course if I need real power, I can always switch to Turbo mode and get that whopping 100 lumens :laughing: Like many Fenix lights, the LD10 favors throw over flood.

If I need more "reach", I can always grab my PD32UE or the TK15. . . .

Where do you live Bill,Seattle area? Oregon? I live a few miles from town [suburban Philly]where you can get everything you need, and a few miles from rolling hills and hiking trails where it is DARK! I love lighting the trails up with my TK-75,and as I have found a rekindled appreciation for the BC-40 that I have realized does a darn good job on high[840 lumens]!!

Ciao,Roberto, "Capo di Capo"..."KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

wjv

Enlightened
Where do you live Bill,Seattle area? Oregon? I live a few miles from town [suburban Philly]where you can get everything you need, and a few miles from rolling hills and hiking trails where it is DARK! I love lighting the trails up with my TK-75,and as I have found a rekindled appreciation for the BC-40 that I have realized does a darn good job on high[840 lumens]!!

Ciao,Roberto, "Capo di Capo"..."KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Rural SW WA State. . .

Capolini

Banned
I have too many torches. this BC-40 has been designated to tail stand and act as the dining room light!!

Who needs lights for the house when most of us have numerous torches!!!