Why 2D to 3C Maglight

jeff29520

Newly Enlightened
Considering ordering a Malkoff drop in for my 2D MagLight and had noticed that several have converted to 3c. What are the advantages to the 2 to 3 conversion?? I may do both.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please explain. Who is doing what conversion?
What are they converting? The Mag or the dropin?

I have several Malkoff dropin and lots of Mags.
I just don't see any "conversion" options.

Buy dropin then drop it in is what I do.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering ordering a Malkoff drop in for my 2D MagLight and had noticed that several have converted to 3c. What are the advantages to the 2 to 3 conversion?? I may do both.
could be because that, some drop ins might not be available for 2 cell. one of my drop ins, (not malkoff) works with 2 cells but with 3 it is brighter, i use 3c in 2d, mag cuz it is brighter, idk if same happens in malkoffs

Last edited:

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
The choice in Malkoff Mag Drop-ins used to be either 2-3 cell or 4-6 cell. Now the choice is either a 2 cell or 3-6 cell drop-in. 3 cells provided better performance out of the 2-3 cell version.

jeff29520

Newly Enlightened
Chodes I guess my thought process was unclear. I have a 2d incan maglight that I want to upgrade. I was wondering which would have a longer run time. The 2d drop in or convert to 3c and get the drop in.

jeff29520

Newly Enlightened
A 2D(3 volts) can be modified to use 3c batteries (4.5 volts) by shortening the spring in the tail cap and using a sleeve to compensate for the smaller diameter of the c batteries. If I understand my fellow flashlight enthusiast from the Palmetto state correctly, the 3C and drop-in will give me better performance.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there really that much difference in performance? I mean you are trading a higher input voltage for less amp-hour capacity.

Yes, big difference.
10% output not huge, runtime difference is.
(50% more cells = 100% more runtime and 10% more output. Explained below)

I notice all through this thread 2D and 3C used. This can be confusing - 3C Maglight or 3Cell dropin?

Malkoff XPG dropins, in D Mag size are:
2D ( ie 2 cell)
or
3-6 Cell.

Regarding those, the 2D is rated 270 Lumens for 3+hours on 2 D Cells.
The 3-6 Cell is rated 300Lumens for 6+ hours on 3 x D cells.
(Therefore 50% more cells = 100% more runtime and 10% more output.)

It's all entirely logical and predictable.
2 cell dropin will need a boost driver to boost the low voltage of the 2 cells, boost drivers known to be inefficient.
The 3-6 cell must use a buck driver, known to be efficient.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the case. Assume quality NiMHs. Assume LEDs.

2D is about 3.0V x 10 A*h = 30 watt*hours. Est. 85% efficient, or 25.5 W*h
3C is about 4.5V x 5 A*h = 22.5 watt*hours. Est 95% efficient, or 21.4 W*h
3D is about 4.5V x 10 A*h = 45 watt*hours. Est 95% efficient, or 42.75 W*h

Incandescent lights don't use drivers, and the bulb efficiency rises roughly in proportion to supply voltage.

jeff29520

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. This is a case where it's hard to put your thoughts into words. I'm definitely getting rid of the incandescent bulb and going to a LED and from what I've read, a Malkoff device is the way to go. The 1.5V difference in the two combinations is what had me curious. Sounds like it's time to buy another flashlight and try both combinations.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, but you are stepping down from D size to C size, which gives you a reduction in amp hrs available.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

It's till not clear if OP means 3C as in 3Cell or 3C as in 3C Mag.
My comments were regarding the differences between dropins. Both C and D size Malkoff dropins are available in 2 cell and 3-6 cell versions.