Flashlight mods for class projects?

jeff29520

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. I'm a Carolina boy that left industry 5 years ago as an industrial electrician (18 years) to teach Mechatronics (A mechanic and electrician rolled into one) at my local high school. I love tinkering and try to pass it on to my students. I'll be moving 8 miles away to another high school this year and when things get rolling good, I'd like to try a few simple, cheap mods as class projects. Mods for these small cheapo flashlights would be great. Any ideas???

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hello all. I'm a Carolina boy that left industry 5 years ago as an industrial electrician (18 years) to teach Mechatronics (A mechanic and electrician rolled into one) at my local high school. I love tinkering and try to pass it on to my students. I'll be moving 8 miles away to another high school this year and when things get rolling good, I'd like to try a few simple, cheap mods as class projects. Mods for these small cheapo flashlights would be great. Any ideas???

Take a look at Vinh's threads. He includes tutorials you could use as a baseline. LOTS of mods are covered.

:D

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDs might have qualities that might lend themselves to your projects:

Low cost
Various colors
need simple soldering/calculations for resistors
lets them build & keep something useful

Tiresius

Enlightened
Build a couple of model lights without the parts entirely wired up. Then use them as teaching tools in lectures. Have students wire them up (electrical engineering talk) and see if they work. Various boards, LED's, bulbs, and safety batteries. The way school is on a budget, something simple and inexpensive is the key.

Also, put safety as top priority. Students cannot be getting themselves electrocuted and bringing up a lawsuit against the school and/or yourself.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
LEDs might have qualities that might lend themselves to your projects:

Low cost
Various colors
need simple soldering/calculations for resistors
lets them build & keep something useful

Power electronics with various driver circuits that can be "hand-rolled", thermal design and analysis, housing design if you've got access to machine tools, optics...

Sounds a lot more fun than the DC electronics course I took years ago where smoking 1/8-watt resistors was as exciting as it usually got.

EDIT: On a different tack, look at all the altoids tin projects out there - everything from headphone amplifiers to wifi finders to (of course) flashlights.

Last edited: