Cross a D10 with an Eo3?

Phantom309

Newly Enlightened
Some of you may have noticed me making a fool of myself over in my V11R thread. I'm a big fan of flashlights, but really just one in general. Nitecore's D10 does everything just right for me, save one thing, it's not that bright. With the lumen wars raging, I have been looking around for a replacement for my beloved D10. So far I have had little luck. I did order a xeno Eo3 awhile back because of it's similar form and size to the D10, along with it's much higher output on 14500's. But I just don't trust it as my main work light. Clicky switches feel cheesy to me, and this one more so than most. SO here comes the silly suggestion by a noob part. Why can't I (or someone smarter) swap the "bright parts" from the Eo3, into the body, and UI of the D10? I took my E03 apart tonight, and if it weren't for the different thread profile, the pill would screw into the D10 body. But before I whip out the soldering iron and ruin a couple good lights, I thought I'd run it through here once. I'm assuming that I would have to find a way to move the driver and led from the E03 to the D10 board since I would need to retain the PD components. Has this been done? Or something similar that achieves a similar result? Or should I just suck it up and live with what I have?

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprisingly enough a lot of piston drive lights ended up with parasitic drain, I don't remember what caused it, something to do with the machining of the pd.
not just Nitecore, other manufacturers have had the same problem.
If you don't like clickies and mclickies, have you thought about digital switches? There a thing of beauty, HDS, Sunwayman, Zebralight and a few other manufufacturers are using them in some of there lights.
The Zebralight sc52 runs at 500 lumens on a 14500.

You could ask VinhNyugen in the custom modified bst to do an emitter swap (driver too maybe?)
an XML2 would give you some umph ;)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?356048-vinhnguyen54-Need-Modded-Work-2013-)

Phantom309

Newly Enlightened
I'll check those out. But parasitic drain isn't really an issue for me. I use my lights a lot at work, and the eneloops get charged frequently. Mine don't sit in a drawer waiting for a power outage, with my job I'm a walking power outage. I would just like some really horse power available if I wanted it.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Balder HD-1 which is another pd light, would drain a 14500 dry within a few days. It was fine on AA batteries (took more than a month to kill an alkaline)

I used to love my d10 but with the new UI choices, I found myself like lights like the zebralight sc600 and Sc52 or Nitecores Ec1 and ea1.

my currend edc while at work is the Sunwayman D40a, its absolutely awesome. 4 Nimh AA batteries, over 900 lumens and quick access to all my favorite modes. ;)

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
I really like my D10. Silent switch and ramping output. My wife is currently using a JetBeam RRT01 XML2 that has those features. And just darned bright, but I still preferred the D10 for pocket carry. A friend here upgraded my D10 with XML emitter, new custom springs, milled GITD piston and SS pocket clip. The emitter swap easily doubled the output of the original R2, on a L91 primary and the beam tint is so close to sunlight. Don't write your D10 off yet, even the XP G2 is a good deal brighter than the original emitters.

Last edited:

Phantom309

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Tip. I just bought a Sunwayman V11R, similar to the RRT01. I'm not at all pleased with it's beam characteristics. Or having to change grips, or use both hands to change the brightness. And a switch that actually clicks loudly is very disconcerting after years of silent piston use. I changed out the rubber switch to the titanium one, better, but not great. I may fish around for someone to modify a D10 for me, or play with it myself. I still owe you for sending me the new D10 body. I haven't found any more complete lights, but did pick up one D11. Not crazy about the UI changes from the D10. Maybe it would be a good one to cut up and splice in the E03 emmiter, just to see what happens. I have been carrying it as my work light since it is similar to, but much more expendable than my D10's. I carried it about 15 miles down the current river a few weeks ago. It was in my pocket all day, wet and dry. Not even a speck of condensation even after plenty of swimming.