• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Limited Time Services Offered: Nocturnal Putrid Frost

NocturnalKnives

Newly Enlightened
Yes, Putrid Frost. It's not a Swedish Metal band, but it's just as cool. This is a service offered to my fellow milky white, mule'y, floody, creamy, beautiful beam loving friends. Please read post #1 in it's entirety. Thank you

Behold, Putrid Frost (right)

CCD7E57D-64F5-4935-99BD-D26CC256E678-547-00000048D1C785B4.jpg

85B0DE30-AF79-44C9-A5DD-BB1E92290E15-547-000000490FCC0445.jpg

6AFE4D00-B0C7-4419-9F6F-91D897572A41-547-00000049984EA005.jpg

81E9E628-9B2A-4D7E-9CB6-221222285AA3-547-0000004988C728C8.jpg

Explanation:

The lens is frosted and glow material is applied around the emitter (shown in the light with the UCL on the left in the first picture). When the light is off the light glows green through the frosted lens. This does not affect the tint of the emitter. When the light is turned back on again you get a creamy, luscious, white, floody beam profile.

The glow application will keep an extremely bright afterglow for well over 10-12hrs while the light is off. It's great for nightstand duty, etc. To give you an idea the glow is a VERY good bit brighter than Tritium, and glow rings are not even in the same league. Also, this glowing material will virtually last forever....at least long enough for your kids, kids, kids, kids, to see it.

Coatings:

The frosted light is also coated with 2400 series KG coating. Here at Nocturnal Knives we coat all our knives with 2400 series KG. In our testing it's a good bit more impact, and abrasion resistant than Cerakote. The Average hardness of "C" series Cerakote is around 8H pencil hardness, our KG cannot be scratched by a 9H (hardest) pencil. That translates into a hardness that is equal to or greater than tempered glass. All that being said, this is not a service we can offer all the time. We are extremely busy with our knives, but since we coat our knives anyway I can work in lights here and there when we're coating runs. Just shoot us a PM or email and we'll let you know what can be done.

As far as the glow application and lens frosting are concerned, we can offer that until we can't. I know that's pretty vague, but we have very busy spurts. It's not extremely difficult to offer the glow and frosting service so that isn't a problem.

Recommendations:

There are a few things I would recommend to maximize the usefulness of this modification.

1. Buy two lenses for the light you want frosted. This way you have a clear throwy beam with glow when off (like the light on the left above), and one frosted floody beam with glow.
  2. I would recommend a light, or dropin that has multiple modes (at least Hi/lo).
  3. The higher the OTF lumens the better your experience will be.
  4. These are awesome with emitters colored between 3000K-5000K tint. For instance the Customlites/Nailbender XM-L2 4Mode 4500K droping is amazing with the frosting. It lights up a whole backyard like you turned on a streetlight, and the color is awesome!
  5. You get what you pay for. Although the Solarforce dropin's do a fantastic job on low and medium with the frosting, they lack a little on the top end because their lumen ratings are at the emitter and not OTF. Go with a reputable dropin manufacturer for best results and you'll be amazed.
  6. I can frost both sides of the lens. However, I recommend only frosting one side and leaving the smooth side facing out. It makes it easier to clean the lens with a cloth, or microfiber and keeps the porous frosted side sealed inside the bezel and protected. It yields the same results regardless of how many sides are frosted.

I can only apply the glowing material to an emitter or pill I can get to, same goes for the lens. I have to be able to disassemble, the dropin, or light to accomplish all this. Most all P60 style D36 dropins are fine, also, complete lights that can be disassembled at the bezel. If you can touch the emitter with your index finger, or remove the pill from the reflector I can apply the glowing material. If you can remove the lens I can frost it. Also, if at all possible, I would much rather you just send the dropin, or pill/reflector, and lens. Not the whole light. This keeps shipping down, saves time for me, and also saves me space in a shop full of knives. If coating a light it would, of course, need shipped.

My partner and I are extremely busy. We make knives full time and my partner is also a full time LEO. Modifications to flashlights are not our full time gig. So, please PM or email us first so we can plan for your order accordingly, or let you know when we can fit you in. Thanks

Prices:

If you just want to send (or drop ship) a bunch of lenses to be frosted----$5 per lens
Putrid Frost (lens frosting and glow at the emitter)-----------------------$45
Glow at the emitter only------------------------------------------------$40

KG 2400 Coatings

*Limited Basis, Time permitting*

Whole light, single color-------------------------------------------------$45
Whole light, two colors (ie. bezel ring, and clip differnt than the rest)------$50
Additional colors after two-----------------------------------------------$20 ea. additional color

We accept PayPal: [email protected]

PM or Email me at [email protected] for questions, or orders.

Shipping

You ship your parts to us and we'll ship them back anywhere in the good ol' continental U.S. of A. via Priority Mail for $6
International Shipments will be charged actual shipping charges and shipped via the shipping method of your choice.

Taclites

Anyone sending Taclites parts for the Putrid Frost treatment will get a $10 discount on the service. We love them that much! Not to mention, we will be working on a few very near future projects with Anthony. Stay tuned for some very cool lights and knives! And, if you haven't already treat yourself to one of Anthony's lights. They are excellent, handmade one at a time, and top tier build quality. There is nothing else out there that can touch them for the money. I have a feeling his excellent pricing won't last too long!!

-Gene
Nocturnal Knives

Some Outdoor Pictures

The setup used for these pictures was a Solarforce XM-L2 T6 (5000K) 2.8-9v 3Mode Dropin on one Ultrafire 18350. As far as dropin's go, this is the minimum performance you can expect from the Putrid Frost mod. They rate the dropin at 700lms, but OTF I would estimate it to put out 500-600lms. The performance is enhanced CONSIDERABLY with a quality XML2 dropin. Like I mentioned above, one of my favorites is the Nailbender/Customlites XM-L2 T5 (4500K) 4Mode OP reflector. I would say it's pretty accurate at 800lms OTF, the runtime is great, and the low is excellent with the frosted lens.

All Images are unedited (except for a resize) and all objects are roughly 25'-30' away. Pictures were taken with a Nikon S9500 on Auto setting. This camera is notorious for taking images that look as the eye sees. These pictures are exactly as the beam looks in person.

Control Image
33B9B16F-8BA9-48DA-B867-5C6FCD7B238D-631-00000057F46D4617.jpg

High Mode
F55124C6-4DCF-4E20-B280-1A5C1DA6788B-631-0000005822F53E22.jpg

Control Image
608275D5-14CE-4DC3-9551-6FB9839FD154-631-00000057796B8102.jpg

High Mode- Tree is 30', fence is roughly 40'
1812F35E-3006-4D19-A689-A11B205B3AAA-631-00000057A5BE1B80.jpg

As you can see from the pictures the frosted lens smooths out the beam completely. It completely erases even the slightest hint of a hotspot. Just a big wall of light. -Gene

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More

8B70AC5D-8F6B-49AA-A9B6-241732272D4D-905-0000014DEBCBDED1_zps762bfcbb.jpg

FF5AF005-CB94-492C-A21D-A546A61B926B-905-0000014E2E7B3D02_zpsdaf21368.jpg

EC80A144-12EA-450A-B44E-0F1178597280-579-0000008605CDCD3E_zpsefad52bb.jpg

40217B23-69E8-4F07-BC23-893C4E450463-579-00000086495D163F_zpsa89e6f42.jpg

Last edited:

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
This seems like a really cool mod. I would be interested I having an HDS lens frosted for my rotary just to try it out. I will have to see if I can come up with one to send you. Will you be offering some of the more common lenses already frosted for sale?

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good! How thick is the glow application around the emitter? I'm worried when I assemble the light back together, the flow might hit the bottom of the reflector

NocturnalKnives

Newly Enlightened
This seems like a really cool mod. I would be interested I having an HDS lens frosted for my rotary just to try it out. I will have to see if I can come up with one to send you. Will you be offering some of the more common lenses already frosted for sale?

I will not be offering any lenses. As far as common sizes go though any of the dealers that offer Surefire, Solarforce, Pyrex, UCL, or otherwise can be bought via them and shipped to me and I can frost them. My business is making knives, this is just something really cool I was playing with on my own lights and decided I could work it in for everyone else in between knife runs. -Gene

Looks good! How thick is the glow application around the emitter? I'm worried when I assemble the light back together, the flow might hit the bottom of the reflector

I can make it as thin or as thick as it needs to be to clear the reflector housing. I've had excellent results with a few different popular manufacturer's P60 XPG, XPG2, XML, and XML2 housings. I've also had great results with HDS, Fenix, SUNWAYMAN, Surefire, Jetbeam, and Nitecore lights. Not all lights in these lines will work of course, but if I can get the lens free, and get to the emitter I can make it work. -Gene

Last edited:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
can all lenses be frosted? as in the ar, ucl?
i have an m2 that needs taming, too much throw as of now, this should be awesome for it, love the front yard picture, your right, its just like you turned on a light bulb.

NocturnalKnives

Newly Enlightened
can all lenses be frosted? as in the ar, ucl?
i have an m2 that needs taming, too much throw as of now, this should be awesome for it, love the front yard picture, your right, its just like you turned on a light bulb.

Yes, any lens can be frosted. Glass (UCL, etc.), and mineral work the best, but even the plastic and colored lenses work out well. Anti-reflective coatings make no difference after the frosting treatment. Frosted lenses are non-reflective by nature. -Gene

Last edited:

NocturnalKnives

Newly Enlightened
Cool - I'm out of the country right now but some lights I want the glow treatment on for sure. Will get in touch when I am back in the country.

Sounds good. We're in Columbus. If you'll be back in Cinci we can meet half way and forgo shipping altogether, maybe grab some lunch and drop off your parts if we can work it that way. Or better yet, you can drop off your parts to me, you can go get lunch in Cbus and pick them back up and take them home after. It doesn't take long for the mod, we can do a few in that kind of time frame.

NocturnalKnives

Newly Enlightened
Kind of interested in getting this done to the lens of my SX25L3. That would be $45, correct?

If you just want the lens frosted it's $5, if you want the glow material and lens frosted it would be $45. I've never done this to an SX25L3, but based on the spec's on EagleTac's site it looks like it shouldn't be a problem. -Gene

donn_

Flashaholic
Kind of interested in getting this done to the lens of my SX25L3. That would be $45, correct?

Instead of doing it to the AR coated lens, you might want to consider using a mineral glass replacement. Go here, and order the 43.5mm x 2mm flat mineral glass watch crystal. $2.50 each, compared to $9.95 for an AR one from Eagletac.

It's a snap to get into the head of the SX25L3.

NocturnalKnives

Newly Enlightened
Instead of doing it to the AR coated lens, you might want to consider using a mineral glass replacement. Go here, and order the 43.5mm x 2mm flat mineral glass watch crystal. $2.50 each, compared to $9.95 for an AR one from Eagletac.

It's a snap to get into the head of the SX25L3.

+1 Most definitely. As I recommended above, it's best to get another lens for the light you'd like to frost. That way you get one clear (throwy) option, and one frosted (floody) option. Mineral glass would be just fine. It's like combining two options above but paying half the price :) -Gene

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone here know the lens size for a SWM V10R? I wanna get some of them lens frosted as I would like to use them as my macro photography fill in lights :D

NocturnalKnives

Newly Enlightened
anyone here know the lens size for a SWM V10R? I wanna get some of them lens frosted as I would like to use them as my macro photography fill in lights :D

I can find out. But, I'm sure someone here on CPF knows. My partner has one and he's heading to the shop now. I'll tell him to bring it with him. This would actually be excellent for photography.

-Gene

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info...Now I've gotta source for a few of these lens :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2