The light just goes out? (E2e + SF123)

FrUitSkI

Newly Enlightened
Something strange just happend, I have been playing with my brand new E2e now for just over a week, but just a few minutes ago I whiped out my E2 and there was no light!! It scared <profanity edited by dano> me cause I had just used it an hour ago and then it was still fine.

Yesterday I was wondering how far my first set of 123's were depleted so I switcht them for new ones just to check (just for a 5 sec burst), and yes the hotspot was a little bit brighter with the new ones but the old set was still going strong, so I put them back in.

*back to the faillure*
Well after I checked the bulb I changed the batteries with a new set and I was reliefed to see the beautifull beam again!!

BTW I'm absolutely sure that I haven't left the light on!

But is this normal? Do the batteries just stop? without any warning? I don;t have a multimeter so I can't check the voltage just yet.

Like to hear your comments

torment

Newly Enlightened
Yes they just drop. As soon as you put new batteries in, the light output diminishes over curve. I had my E2e on for a while looking for firewood and then I turned it off and immediately back on. Nothing came from the lamp, so, I replaced the batteries and it was fine.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Same phenomenon happend to me a looooong time back and with an E2e! Same as you guys. Switched it off and after a little use I tried to switch it back on and .........nothing!
I actually posted about this at the time as I thought that there was a problem with the SF 123's. If I remember at that time there was an issue over SF QC with their own brand 123's. Anyway the problem seemed to have resolved itself until your postings!
Doug

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The same thing happens to me with Sanyo 123 batteries in the Arc LS. They seem to die when they aren't being used. But with the LED they don't die completely, the light is just very dim.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
It happened also in my Scorpion. Turned on the light and wa, la, nothing. I can now tell when it is time to change the batteries out. The light just doesn't seem as white to me as with fresh batteries. It is noticeable, as a matter of fact my Scorpion is now due... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
As you use SF123As more often you will be able to tell when the output isn't as good as it should be [on fresh SF123As] and that's time to change out the batteries.

SF123As are designed to produce brighter light for longer and therefore they will produce good output pretty much until they are spent.

I guess that those who have been used to the gradual slide into orange-dim-hell with Alk in "normal" flashlight may get a shock. It's not just SF123As that do this - my TigerLight will be fine until the last moment too.

So I've learnt to understand the discharge curve of each flashlight I use so I can know what to expect in use.

I've also learnt to carry spare batteries and more importantly a backup flashlight and mini-LED light such as an ArcAAA or Photon etc so that I'm not left without light when the time comes (as it does)

Al

paulr

Flashaholic
Yeah, it's normal, rechargeable batteries are like that too. Actually when the NiMH batteries in my EDC light go flat, it will run at full brightness for a few seconds then go out. If I let it rest for a minute, it will run for a few seconds again. A lot of the time, a few seconds is all I need. (But that also means I sometimes REALLY don't know when the batteries are going flat). Anyway, as everyone says, carry spares and/or a second light.

jbroker83

Enlightened
My SF G2 had that happen...I KNOW I just used it -- went to use it at night...and nothing happened. I was afraid my bulb burned out...put my backup batteries in and boom...there was the light....so I noticed that the light had been a little bit more dim but not too much to really bother me...they must just run out of juice fast.