*new* Fenix UC40 rechargeable light

kj2

Flashaholic
Fenix will announce this light tomorrow (22 August). But I already found some info on the internet :)
(Price; €84,90 )

2hpocg0.jpg
6oid7l.jpg

6t1c00.jpg
bifs.jpg

wj6kow.jpg
w7zs3m.jpg

b4ulgi.jpg

So it looks like it will have that instant strobe, what many of us wanted :)

Last edited:

hayhomeno

Newly Enlightened
whats the point of rechargeable small lights?
you get no water resistant and I can charge my 18650 myself 4 at a time.

njet212

Enlightened
Love head and tail cap design but not the knurling on the body, look's like budget light.

hayhomeno

Newly Enlightened
It has a IPX-8 rating.
ok, but I still dont get the idea of rechargable small light.
If it is a big light with a separate battery pack or use 4 18650 then rechargeable can be a convenience but why small lights?

Norm

Retired Administrator
ok, but I still dont get the idea of rechargable small light.
If it is a big light with a separate battery pack or use 4 18650 then rechargeable can be a convenience but why small lights?
For a non enthusiast user, there is no need to purchase a charger, they can buy just the flashlight without buying extra gear, the flashlight is all they need.

Norm

jay_rush

Unenlightened
WHAT!!? i says on the battery pic " can only be recharged when fenix ARB-L1S batteries are used" and that your can use other types of batteries also... DA faQ!?!?! if thats true i will never buy another fenix light again..

Ishango

Enlightened
WHAT!!? i says on the battery pic " can only be recharged when fenix ARB-L1S batteries are used" and that your can use other types of batteries also... DA faQ!?!?! if thats true i will never buy another fenix light again..

Yes, the internal charging mechanism only supports the ARB-L1S battery they supply with the light. It's a flashlight, not a charger for different battery formats.

I think it's a great idea. Most rechargeable lights have an internal battery which cannot be replaced at all. Which makes it hard to use for Law Enforcement/ Camping/ Survival or any other moment you might want to be able to switch batteries for instance without the means to charge the light. This one can be replaced with a 18650 which you can charge yourself or even primary CR123A's. You have the benefits of a rechargeable light with the benefit of an ordinary light which allows battery replacement.

Interesting light, thanks for the heads up kj2!

kj2

Flashaholic
It's a nice light, but it isn't a must have light for me.
Can be a light for someone who isn't that into 18650-batteries. Charging is simple, and no need to buy a charger.

holylight

Enlightened
Depend how small is this light to make it its selling point cause have a lager p25 with higher lm and throw and usb rechargeable.

mmjsport

Newly Enlightened
I think the light will be around the same size of a PD35/32. I actually think this light is a great value and product. It's going to appeal to a lot of new buyers since they don't need to worry about 18650s or cr123. You can just charge it and your good to go. I can't wait for the reviews and tests.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely for non-flashlight people.
For the lumens output, the throw is pretty low.
2 hours runtime is about right with an 18650, but it that an accumulated runtime?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely for non-flashlight people.
For the lumens output, the throw is pretty low.

Are you suggesting that throw is always desired? I do truck inspections for work, and I often use a PD32UE (which also has a 6000cd rating). It has a very large hotspot, and it is excellent for my application. Just because it is not a thrower, does not mean it isn't a good light.

I agree it isn't ideal for flashaholics, because we already have plenty of cells, DMMs, and chargers - and we don't want to settle for 2600 mAh cells in our brand new lights. No argument there.

The runtime on turbo is unimpressive, though, even with a 2600 mAh cell. The PD32UE I have is rated for 2 hours 40 minutes at 400 lumens, and that is with a neutral white LED. Not saying it is bad, but it is nothing special...the PD32UE is just all around a better light, in my opinion.

Divine_Madcat

Newly Enlightened
I love all the "non flashaholic" garbage. Love flashlights, and I love the idea of having one that I can recharge straight from my Goal Zero panels. Not having to bring an extra stupid charger in an already filled bag (anyone who hikes knows that EVERY ounce adds up).

And as noted.. throw isn't the be all, end all. In the field and on a trail, a good mix of flood and throw is good.. seeing 200m down the path is no good if you don't see the root 2 feet in front of you...

markr6

Flashaholic
Sounds like something uninformed consumers will leave plugged in their car all the time and then complain when the battery doesn't last "long enough".

Beckler

Enlightened
Seems this should make a good bike light, having a battery indicator and usb for easy charge at work.