did i make the right choice?

robvulaj

Newly Enlightened
I went to REI to buy the fenix pd35 and came home with the fenix tk15 s2..

I needed a light with GREAT throw I could carry on a belt for work every day. I know the pd35 had twice the lumen but it was half the candella and almost 100m less throw according to the specs. Is it really possible this light has that much more thow and that much less lumen? I love the light so far but was there something else I should have considered?

also.. the reason this was even considered is because originally i ordered the Nitecore MT26 and because USPS sucks at their job it went back to the vendor about a month later

wjv

Enlightened
I have the PD32, PD32UE and the TK15 (R) older 337 lumen version. And yes, the TK15 out throws both of the PD32 versions. But you have much less spill. You can't say one is better than the other as it all depends on your needs. I have avoided the S2 lights because my only venture into a light (Fenix) that had the S2 LED resulted in a sickly green beam. Other people have had much better luck!

If you would like some visual proof, go to http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php and look at all of the test photos. He has them for the PD32, PD32UE, PD35 and the TK15.

From the photos you will be able to see that the TK15 out throws them all!

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I needed a light with GREAT throw I could carry on a belt for work every day. I know the pd35 had twice the lumen but it was half the candella and almost 100m less throw according to the specs. Is it really possible this light has that much more thow and that much less lumen? I love the light so far but was there something else I should have considered?

also.. the reason this was even considered is because originally i ordered the Nitecore MT26 and because USPS sucks at their job it went back to the vendor about a month later

It would come down to the actual range you need.

You can't go by the ANSI 0.25 lux associated meters of throw unless the targets are pretty close...most people need at least 1-5 lux to resolve details.

For perspective, 15k cd hits 1 lux at ~ 122 meters, and 5 lux at ~ 55 meters.

7.5k cd hits 1 lux at ~ 86 meters, and 5 lux at ~ 39 meters.

The PD35 is rated at 8,600 cd, so your 5 lux range would have been ~ 42 meters, and so forth.

Had you instead looked at the Armytec Predator XPG2, with ~ 40k cd, and about the same size, it would be ~ 670 lumens and ~ 200 meters to 1 lux, and ~ 90 meters to 5 lux.

That gives you the perspective on what these lights will do for you on a practical basis.

:D

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned

I can relate to the U.S.P.S.!!! My TK-75 went from Philly area to St. Paul then to Broken Arrow, OK. where is should have gone first!! Was suppose to take two days and took 6!

Good luck w/ your new TK-15.

Ciao,,,Roberto,,,,"Capo di capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

obik

Newly Enlightened
The TK15 is a great compact thrower. I carry and use a TK15 R5 (337 lumens, vs. 400 lumens for the S2) 3-5 nights a week.

robvulaj

Newly Enlightened
It would come down to the actual range you need.

You can't go by the ANSI 0.25 lux associated meters of throw unless the targets are pretty close...most people need at least 1-5 lux to resolve details.

For perspective, 15k cd hits 1 lux at ~ 122 meters, and 5 lux at ~ 55 meters.

7.5k cd hits 1 lux at ~ 86 meters, and 5 lux at ~ 39 meters.

The PD35 is rated at 8,600 cd, so your 5 lux range would have been ~ 42 meters, and so forth.

Had you instead looked at the Armytec Predator XPG2, with ~ 40k cd, and about the same size, it would be ~ 670 lumens and ~ 200 meters to 1 lux, and ~ 90 meters to 5 lux.

That gives you the perspective on what these lights will do for you on a practical basis.

:D

this is pretty much exactly what i wanted to know thanks for the great info, is that armytec the best throwing light of this size?

robvulaj

Newly Enlightened
also, i dont NEED the max throw per say but i am an elevator mechanic and on a daily basis i am in pitch black shafts that are up to 70 stories tall (around 700ft) I personally cant see in detail that far away anyway but, within reason, the farther and brighter your light can thow in my business the better.

wjv

Enlightened
The TK15 will light up the area where the light is pointed. Something like a PD32UE will light up the entire shaft for a 300 feet or more. But seriously, check out the photos at http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php . The have beam shot images that will answer many of your questions.

Comparison shots from that site.
LED_Compare_zps656810e6.png

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Armytek Predator is indeed a thrower. The one I have is the warm white Predator Pro V2.5. The main difference between the Pro V2.5 and the non Pro version is that the Pro version is programmable, otherwise the output and beam on max are the same. Although I do not own many other brands and could not comment much on who throw the furthest, I can say without a doubt that the Armytek Predator is probably the best throwing 2xCR123 / 1x18650 light I have ever had.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
this is pretty much exactly what i wanted to know thanks for the great info, is that armytec the best throwing light of this size?

Its the best stock reflector based light of that size. Only Vinh's souped up stuff and some aspheric lights throw farther.

as 700 feet is over 200 yards...thats a long shot for any 18650 light.

Last edited: