Am I being unreasonable?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I was going to post a Jeers for Dell but rather than do that I thought I'd bring it up here.
Every company that deals with anyone is going to have some problems with customer satisfaction but I feel I have been patient.
Long and the short. I have had my Dell laptop for 2.5+ years and have about 4 months left on my "Next Business Day" service contract. I have had many service calls and rarely has one been next B D. Allowing for time of day called etc.. Now my modem won't work after having had my motherboard replaced twice (for hinge problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif ).
So they are replacing my whole computer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . But it will take 10-14 business days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif . Now it was their determination that the computer needed replacing so the part needed to get my computer running is a COMPUTER /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .
Dell CS has said that it is next day service based on parts availability. So I ask "doesn't Dell have any computers?".
None that are ready to go that are suitable replacements. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
So my question is am I being unreasonable in expecting this to be resolved quicker than two weeks?
I am working on the Library computer so I won't be back for at least a day, may be two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
Those smileys help sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
though the service for my Dell has been pretty good (after you wade through the forest of phone options), i have found that i have needed them all too often in the 1.5 years of ownership. i have purchased an extended warranty of 5 years.

the biggie was last January: damaged hard drive. i have no idea what happened. they sent me a new hard drive, and a tech came out and installed it. i didnt want to mess with it.

i am not sure if i would go with dell again.

anyway, just a comment or two.

good luck!

Bob

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think it's a lil unreasonable considering they're sending an entire replacement..

but i don't think it's unreasonable, depending on what you use your computer for..

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im wierd about pc,s i need em rock stable.so i build my own.but i hear lots a folks with a store built pc haveing problems

Tomas

Banned
I'm dithering on this one, Wits' End.

On the one hand they should have whatever is necessary to meet their one-day-turnaround contractual promise on-hand and ready to go at a moment's notice.

On the other hand, I can understand them using their regular custom-order production line to provide a correct replacement, rather than having several hundred shelved computers 'just-in-case' one needs replacement. (Several thousand? I don't know how bizarre Dell gets over 5 years with model varieties.)

One local service outfit has "loaners" (beat up old laptops they will transfer your HD contents into until they can get yours serviced) but that is a premium service.

My computer company does the overnight and on-site stuff, but for a repair I know I have coming up my computer will be in the shop for probably a week (validate problem, order CRT, replace it).

That's why, since the mid 80's, the "old" computer being replaced by a new one has always become the "closet backup" for me. I almost gave away my closet backup during my most recent binge, but am now glad I saved it since the new one needs service.

Wits' End, there aren't enough smilies to make it OK, but there might be enough to make it slightly less painful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

T_sig6.gif
fan.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think of it this way. Say you had a car that was 10 years old. Parts may or may not be readily available. Then say you took your car in for service and they said the part would take two weeks to get because they had to send to the factory to get it. You wouldn't be happy, but they are stuck too.

Now apply this to your situation. Your laptop is a little over 2.5 years old. Depending on how long your particular model was around for, and what Dell's product cycles are may determine if it's readily available. As we know, a computer that is over 2.5 years old is not obsolete, but not top of the line either like it may have once been. Being 2.5+ years old in computer hardware is somewhat old though.

Also, consider that as you stated the laptop is in essence as a whole now simply a "part". They did state next day depending on parts availability. Unfortunately, the "part" apparently isn't readily available. Even though Dell is the factory to most of us, the truth is they aren't. They have warehouses all over the place and many different parts vendors. So getting something old from them may not be easy ..... even for them. I totally understand your frustration and impatience as would anyone who uses a computer would. But two weeks may not be too unreasonable a time to wait if you take all the factors into consideration.

One option you could have explored was to possibly trade up to a more current model and pay the difference between what you paid for your old model and the cost of the new model. Dell, may or may not have allowed that but you never know.

Mike

Floating Spots

Enlightened
My mother had a Dell that the video card went out on.
They finally decided that it was the video card...
She had the one day parts service.

Three days later it wasn't there yet.
I called and they informed me that the one day service was really one day shipping AFTER they processed the order. Two weeks and much b@$ching later they got me a card. Guess what, they even shipped it next day air to fulfill the contract......Never will they see my money.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
you got it good!

dell is worthless.

we've gone through 3 motherboards, 2 harddrives, 2 ram sets, 2 cdroms, and who knows what else!!!!
the thing is so incredably unstable, and whenever we reformat the drive (8 times so far?) it's nearly impossible to get windows installed.
the idiots should have just replaced the system the second or third time, and not leaving it up to us to do it ourselves /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the wording of the guarantee I don't think you're being unreasonable. However, given what we should accept as reality perhaps you are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dell has done a good job getting stuff that doesn't completely suck for the prices that they charge, but they are still a commodity, lowest price absolutely possible joint. it's been more than 2 years since I've taken in any Dell machines, but I can't imagine it's any different now. You get what you pay for, or don't pay for as the case may be.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another reason why I wouldn't buy a laptop. Undersized keyboard, excruciatingly clumsy "pointing device", high cost, proprietary hardware, overheating, and the hard to read screen. I guess the newer screens are better than they used to be though.

I sometimes envy those with easy-to-carry laptops, but they ain't for me.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Just to be fair to Dell (Yup, I'm being fair to a PC company) when my Axim pooped they had a new (refurbished) one on my doorstep the next morning. Maybe that just tells us a lot about Axims though, that is, that they have a warehouse full of refurbished ones.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
There are only 2 tools required to build a computer- a phillips screwdriver and a credit card. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (Damn, I wish I could find all those missing .dll's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .)

Larry

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a CTX EXBook 700E series notebook, and it was reliable. The pcmcia modem finally overheated from my excessive use of it. It had a measly 3.5 GB hdd in it. The only reason I got it, was I could take with me, when I came up to visit my parents or a friend (less chance of it being stolen by leaving it where I lived).

I doubt I will ever have another notebook. I don't trust OEM systems, as I have read too many horror stories about unstable hardware, hardware failures, etc. So I build my own and get reliability and stability.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wits' End -

Here is what is probably happening:

Dell does not have a replacement for your 2.5 + year old machine. They don't stockpile replacements. Technology has changed and it is highly unlikely that they still offer a machine that matches your machine's specs. They are not going to build an exact match either.

If you bought it as a refurb you should get a new refurb. If you bought it new you should get a new machine. Accept nothing less.

They will have to look at the major specs on your old machine. Then they will have to locate a new machine that has specs that meet or exceed those of the original. They will try to find the least expensive machine that meets this criteria. Hence, "None that are ready to go that are suitable replacements."

Replacing a part and replacing a machine come under different rules. Doesn't seem fair but it's written into the warrantee. I think two weeks is too long and would probably have escalated the ticket. They may have sped it up but they don't have to.

The thing you might look forward to is this. Since the machine coming to you must meet or exceed the original machine's major specs it is likely it will exceed the specs in at least one area and possibly more.

No, I don't work for Dell. I went through a three month long trouble ticket with them a few years back and learned some about how they operate.

Hope this helped.

Bill.H

Enlightened
I'll never buy a notebook. They do not hold up as well as a regular desktop. And I'll never buy a "proprietary parts" computer from ANY company.

I strongly agree with raggie33. There's a lot to be said about being able to go to any store (or online) and get a replacement part from any number of manufacturers - and for a lot less money.

I know this doesn't answer the question in the subject line, but I had to say it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Are you being unreasonable? I think you are not. But there's nothing you can do about it but spend your money elsewhere next time. Wouldn't hurt to drop them a note then and tell them you did and why.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the feedback. Sort of sums up my feelings.
Reality and our preferences rarely line up, we just have to know when to stop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
As far as laptop? We live off grid I charge up batteries at work or now in our store so we can use it at home, easily.
I'll post here again when I get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill H. I am so with you on almost everything you said, except for the fact that I'll never use anything but a laptop again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But then, I purchase a different brand than is normally discussed in threads like this... I pay a premium, but I get a premium product /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm Back...
On a Dell Inspiron 8200
So lets compare these machines
Inspiron 7500 Inspiron 8200
PIII 500 GHz PIV 1.7 Ghz
10 G HD 40 G HD
192 M RAM ++ 128 M Ram
3 Batteries ++ 1 Battery
CD, 3.5 removable DVD fixed 3.5 removeable
Ports are similar except 8200 has 1394 port (is that FireWire?)
++ The Batteries I purchased from Dell at time of laptop purchase, The memory upgrade I got from Crucial-anyone know if they'd be compatible? I'll check w/Dell later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
So all in all I have a good deal here I will try to get Dell to swap out 1 or 2 of my old batteries for ones that will work with this machine.
You don't know (well it is like getting an Arc) the excitement we felt whem FedEx pulled up front of our store today!! It had to be our "New" Laptop!!
<font color="green"> Edit: "WHEM FedEx pulled up"
Well the new computer didn't fix my typing 'skills' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif </font>

Tomas

Banned
I dunno what I/O ports your machines have, but for the ones I have I've used three methods: For moving everything on a machine, I backed up to an external SCSI HD then just connected it to the new machine. I've also used Ethernet to connect two machines so I could copy info, and most recently I hooked two computers together with Firewire so that the "old" one was just an external drive on the new one. Made copies and moves quick and easy.

I considered using a 4.7GB DVD, but that was more hassle than other methods (but it would have given me a backup copy ... ).

T_sig6.gif