Modding the Streamlight Propoly luxeon 4aa

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have read various threads on this subject. It pretty much stops at Seoul emitters. I'm gonna try my hand at modding soon and was wondering has anyone tried an XP-G or XM-L in one of these lights? This is a great light for my truck VI, but if it was maybe a 1/3 brighter that would be cool. :thumbsup:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Propoly Luxeon 4aa that was modded with a XPG R5 (I believe). I had a guy on here do it for me a few years ago, when the XPG R5 was the absolute top of the line emitter. It's around 160 lumens out the front, which was damn impressive when I first had it done.

I think you'd be better off getting the new Streamlight Propolymax, considering you can pick one of those up for around $40. 300 out the front lumens and 2 brightness levels!

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light is quite a challenge to get apart. I did 2 with SSC P4s and have some pics if you want to see the guts. Because they are built around the old Lux star dimensions, I would expect to need to build up a mount to get a modern XP-G or XM-L into the right focus. I've done this on other lights by using 8mm MCPCBs and shimming with a copper disc or another MCPCB and holding it all together with Arctic epoxy.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I agree for that price it would be easier to get the new model light. Streamlight wont say what emitter is in it though. C4 lol. I wont buy one til i'm reasonably sure whats in there. Thanks again.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a close-up look at the business end and I'm almost entirely sure its an XM-L. Very nicely done also. For $43.95 @ Brightguy I think i'm gonna pick one up.........