Maratac Rev-2 vs. Maratac Rev-3

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
What are the differences. I was unable to find anything on hear or YouTube that talks about the differences between the revisions. It appears that only the Rev-2 is available on the CountyComm website.

njet212

Enlightened
Rev 2 only comes with 2 modes low and high. Uses older emitter compared with rev 3 it's Cree R3. Sorter length on rev 2 it's 2.6"

Rev 3 comes with med-hi-low and it comes with gitd diffuser and gitd o rings. Also written on matarac rev 3 spec it comes with stronger clip. On rev 3 uses latest emitter from Cree XPG2 R5 Longer length on maratac rev 3 it's 2.75"

njet212

Enlightened
Are you looking for aluminum version of Maratac Rev.2 ? because it's only available just copper only at CC.

There is aluminum version available at other store, i will PM you the link.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check Out This AAA Powerhouse.
Specifications:

• Length: 2.75" Diameter: .5"' Weight: 20 Grams.
  • Glow in the dark Diffuser
  • Glow in the Dark front o-ring around reflector
  • Comes with extra o-rings
  • LED Type: Cree XP-G2 R5 with a life span up to 50,000 hours. ( Newest & Brightest Emitter )
  • Orange Peel Reflector for a smooth even beam
  • New stronger clip
  • The reflector is aluminum alloy.
  • Flashlight body is made of aircraft grade aluminum covered with Type III Military grade anodization.
  • The lens has been treated with a AR (Anti-Reflective) coating.
  • Its proprietary circuit design features reverse polarity protection and runs off of one AAA battery that provides3levels of brightness (Medium / Low / High).
    • Twist on for Medium
    • Twist on again for Low
    • Twist on again for High
  • 3 Second Memory and then resets
Using a single Duracell AAA battery we got the following results:

• Medium mode, 40 lumens output for upto 7 hours
  • Low mode, 1.5 lumens output for upto 55 hours
  • High mode, 138 lumens output for upto 70 minutes
  • ( Rev 1 model was 80 Lumens and 48 minutes) ( Rev 2 model was 115 Lumens and 60 minutes)

40 lumen for 7 hours? On a Duracell AAA? Hmm...I might believe 3 hours...then some moon mode glow out to 7 maybe.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I recently received a copper rev. 2. I really like this light, the two modes are spaced well. I also really like the tarnish that is developing on the copper. Mine did not come with any diffusers, so if you are after one, I would recommend another version. I did get some spare o ringsand a neat case though. I plan to order more Maratac lights in the future.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can one get rev. 3 copper versions of the AAA and CR123?

No rev3 out there yet for any copper versions. AA and AAA are both at Rev 2, and CR123 is still Rev 1. whenever CountyComm gets something new in, their "What's New" page is updated. New stuff comes in at the top of the page...

Theron

Newly Enlightened
No rev3 out there yet for any copper versions. AA and AAA are both at Rev 2, and CR123 is still Rev 1. whenever CountyComm gets something new in, their "What's New" page is updated. New stuff comes in at the top of the page...

Thanks. I think I'll hold off ordering until Christmas nears to see if the copper versions get the GID treatment.
I'll be happy either way though. :)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I just ordered a Maratac Rev-3 from CC. I'll hold-off to see if I'll want a Rev-2 or not. My biggest fear about this Maratac is that it's going to be too fat for me to carry it like I normally carry my E01.

gsr

Enlightened
I recently got both the rev 2 and the rev 3 versions of the Maratac AAA, both of which are black anodized aluminium. The only external difference between the two is the GITD o-ring on the rev 3. Nascar, I think you will really like the Maratac AAA rev 3. It isn't any bigger than your E01, and serves well in the keychain role. However, it does not come with a split ring, so you'll have to cope with that.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I recently got both the rev 2 and the rev 3 versions of the Maratac AAA, both of which are black anodized aluminium. The only external difference between the two is the GITD o-ring on the rev 3. Nascar, I think you will really like the Maratac AAA rev 3. It isn't any bigger than your E01, and serves well in the keychain role. However, it does not come with a split ring, so you'll have to cope with that.

Thanks. I appreciate that. My flashlight EDC regiment over the last few years has been a Preon on the keyring, an E01 hanging for a 2" lanyard clipped to my front right pocket and an E05 linked to a Victorinox Executive riding loosely in the bottom of my front right pocket as well. I keep the E05 with me because of the bright/white light it produces and the E01 for the very long runtime I get and even more importantly, the ability for the E01 to fire on a cell that has very low starting voltage. The Preon on the keyring is there for its 3-levels of brightness.

I'm hoping the Maratac does well and will be able to change my EDC routine.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I have no intent of doing a "review" on my Maratac Rev-3, however I will comment. I like the looks and feel of the light. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the clip and ring. I think I just need to apply more force in attempting to remove them. The beam is OK and the spacing of the levels are acceptable, however I would have preferred a dimmer light on each of the 3-settings. My biggest issue with this light is that it could never be in my EDC routine as a primary light, because of how much voltage this light needs to fire. This is why I always carry an E01 or even an Arc-AAA instead, due to their ability to fire on a really low cell. This Maratac is incapable of doing that. I've taken "dead" cells from the Maratac and ran an E01/AAA for hours after, with useable light. I've taken old AAA-cells that will allow an E01/AAA and even an E05 to fire, but will not fire the Maratac.

My intent was to have the Maratac replace my E05, which I EDC, along with a Fenix E01. The only way that I can see this happening now is if I resolve myself to the fact that I can use the Maratac as the primary, knowing that I'll have to transfer the battery to the E01 to get the rest of the life from it. The only problem with that is that I'm limiting myself to only having one light, on my person, that can get every usual piece of energy from a cell, instead of the two I have on me now. Not sure I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
You must be using alkalines. Switch to Eneloops and you won't have to worry about squeezing every bit of energy out of them, just recharge. You also won't have to worry about leaks.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the PWM on the Rev 3? The Rev 2 AA is slower than the Rev 2 AAA, IMO.
I had my Copper AA and AAA modded by Vinh with XP-G2 4000 K emitters and I like the 2 modes because it is a twisty. It is only the slow PWM on the AA that would justify an upgrade for me.