afraid of the dark? Nope...

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Screenshot_2013-08-22-06-44-39.png

I can't ever remember being afraid of the dark. Even as a small child, I'd love the mystery and intrigue of a darkened space.

Image blatantly copied from the In Science We Trust page on facebook

Last edited:

MBentz

Enlightened
Depends on the context. Pitch black in my house? Nope, not afraid. Pitch black in Afghanistan? Not really a fan of it.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy the dark, but I don't enjoy it if it's my only option. If there's a light at hand then I enjoy exploring other senses such as sound in the dark, but if I'm stuck with no way to turn on a light then I might be uneasy after a little while.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
There can be many things in darkness. Living in the city, it's apparent that many of my fellow urbanites have no appreciation for night vision and will go to great lengths to avoid using it. I'll admit that it took some time in my youth for me to come to terms with the inherent low resolution of night vision, but in many places at night - especially in the city where one is rarely far from some sort of artificial lighting - it's fine for navigation and many tasks that can be done via tactile feedback for fine details. There's something to be said for making the most of your senses, navigating quietly in the darkness like a cat.

Of course, there are times when it's too dark or you need greater visual acuity, so you light up a flashlight and the world is again full HD in all its colors.

In my residence, I've begun to find myself using just enough light for the task. My office is usually lit by just a desklamp. The master bedroom/bathroom is usually lit by a ceiling-bounce LED array spitting out perhaps 500 lumens. I'll often use a flashlight to navigate a dark room or hallway rather than turn on the lights.

Well yes, a little. What I'm really afraid of, is not being able to see what I should be afraid of.

~ Chance
There is the terror of the forests, where everything is hidden; then there is the terror of the plains, where there is nowhere to hide

Can't recall where I read that, but I surely don't claim it.

XTAR Direct

Newly Enlightened
Depends on the context. Pitch black in my house? Nope, not afraid. Pitch black in Afghanistan? Not really a fan of it.

lol totally! or just about any dark alley in los angeles! ive been out there in the dark after a dinner night. gotta love my flashlight. sense of security big time

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well yes, a little. What I'm really afraid of, is not being able to see what I should be afraid of.

~ Chance

I agree that it's more the fear of the unknown that is scary. Our church's pastor put it this way: "Some people are afraid of falling. Some people are afraid of lobsters. Some people are afraid of the dark. Some people are afraid of falling on lobsters in the dark."

For me it's a fear of being unaware of the known, i.e. raccoons, skunks, neighbors dog, prowler, and now lobsters. I prefer to be aware of their prescience before it becomes an encounter of the close kind. I've never really enjoyed surprises. :eek:

~ Chance

Last edited: