Flashlight Use in Urban Areas

billygoat

Newly Enlightened
Living in a suburban area, I'm always challenged to find a place to use my flashlights in the evenings.

My favorite is along the old Pacific Electric right-of-way close by my house that has been converted into a county park. After the rails were taken out, it was landscaped with trees and plants to approximate native landscape outside the city. The best part is there is no lighting, and the trail runs for a couple of miles. Park is open until 10:00 PM. Makes for a very enjoyable late evening walk with my favorite light.

Other than everyday use around the house, where do the other "urbanites" of this forum utilize their flashlights outside?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I just wait for a hurricane or missing person call, etc....and that covers a lot of out door flashlight time....

...and while waiting I might go to a local park, etc.

:D

Raven-burg

Newly Enlightened
I usually water my pot plants around 11pm through the summer. Gives me a good excuse to use either my McGizmo Haiku, SC52 or L10 nichia 219. I have more lights but usually pick one of these 3. The rest of the time I just use them to check on the kids and navigate the house late at night when everyone else is asleep.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same dilemma. I'd like to use them more, but most parks are closed at dusk around here. I've been going backpacking pretty often lately so I can stay out in the dark as long as I want though. And around my place I usually delay working on the car for minor repairs until it gets dark, both so I can use lights and also because it's most convenient to do after eating dinner.

ericjohn

Enlightened
That is a damn shame that they removed those tracks...As a foamer; I am disappointed to read that. I wouldn't want to use a flashlight in an urban area unless it was the Maglite Tac with the crowned bezel. Of course I would also have a Mini Maglite Incandescent and possibly a 3D Maglite in my backpack. Of course in an urban area; the best luck you would have would be an abandonned warehouse or something similar. Unfortunately, there could possibly be undesirables in there, hence the need for the aforementioned lights. Since you are talking about urban area, maybe you could always be prepared if you are in a skyscraper, rail terminal or shopping mall and a power failure could occur. I think I have said it before, but it bears repeating that you could catch the interest of a lady by saving the day.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go trespassing into an abandoned crack house, or something
Go peeking into the rafters and cellars of your building

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually water my pot plants around 11pm through the summer. Gives me a good excuse to use either my McGizmo Haiku, SC52 or L10 nichia 219. I have more lights but usually pick one of these 3. The rest of the time I just use them to check on the kids and navigate the house late at night when everyone else is asleep.

One assumes that by 'pot plants' one means plants growing in a pot, other than cannabis. :whistle:

Raven-burg

Newly Enlightened
One assumes that by 'pot plants' one means plants growing in a pot, other than cannabis. :whistle:
Ha ha! That does read quite bad I guess! Nothing that interesting I'm afraid. I'm actually away at Disneyworld at the moment and just left the Magic Kingdom fireworks display with the help if my SC52. Been here a week and I haven't seen anyone with a decent light yet. They check your bags upon entry to the parks and they all use terrible cheap lights to look inside. One guy found my Zebralight H51 and asked what it was.
Its a dream job if you want to use a flashlight all day long!!!

RyeBread

Newly Enlightened
If you're into illegal and dangerous stuff, you could go in the storm drains. Always dark there. :p If you get arrested for trespassing, don't say I didn't warn you!

I use mine in local parks and around the yard. (At night) Also walking home from friends' houses. (Also at night)

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get lots of use in the city at night i.e. help a few friends and Ms. Butterfly sort their groceries once removed from the trunk. She'll place like 6 wholefoods market bags worth of stuff on the ground then out comes the Kerberos Quad C2. I'll hold it up high and shower a 6 foot circle of light spanning the open trunk and everything around us.

There is NO NEED to struggle with your vision anywhere there is darkness. You work efficiently and safely. The alternative? Perhaps being flanked by a 2 legged pest or anyone looking for an easy opportunity.