What's your car EDC?

mhpreston

Enlightened
Hi CPFs - all these EDC posts got me thinking about my car. I carry my Nitecore SRT 7 in the glove compartment, but with some longer winter drives planned for later this year, I noticed this item being sold by a well known roadside recovery organisation here in the UK. I like the concept for what is probably the highest risk activity I do nowadays. Any thoughts? Have you used one or is there anything better on the market?

y5ybepu7.jpg

Glock 22

Enlightened
A Surefire Fury that I've converted into a single mode.

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer 2xAA Led and a Streamlight 2xCR123 led are in the car. Main reason they are in the car is to be used as loaners if need be. Otherwise I have about 3-6 lights on me for personal usage.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always have 4 or more EDC lights on my person so they are also always in each of my cars if I am in there too.

I also have been carrying the EA4 and Predator most places in the Briefcase ,Just in Case!

Poppy

Flashaholic
Hi CPFs - all these EDC posts got me thinking about my car. I carry my Nitecore SRT 7 in the glove compartment, but with some longer winter drives planned for later this year, I noticed this item being sold by a well known roadside recovery organisation here in the UK. I like the concept for what is probably the highest risk activity I do nowadays. Any thoughts? Have you used one or is there anything better on the market?

y5ybepu7.jpg

Before I was too young to drive, I learned how important it is to have a set of road flares in the car. I probably have about ten in the trunk. I also have a pair of reflective vests, and flashlights. I also carry 2-3 reflective safety cones. OK... that's a little overboard, but being able to set up the scene with warning devices can't be overstated. You don't want to get struck (because you broke down around a blind curve) and you don't want others getting hurt trying to avoid your disabled vehicle (at 65 MPH) because there wasn't sufficient warning that you are blocking their lane of travel.

I also carry at least one 22 inch LED traffic safety wand, (search ebay for "traffic baton") and a 2D Cell flashlight with a maglight style traffic diffuser.

I made a holder for the wands out of PCV pipe so that they can be placed atop the traffic cones.

According to this US Federal study, lights that are raised above the ground are significantly better than those that are at ground level.
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/224277.pdf

They compared a number of LED safety lights to each other and to chemical road flares.

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good advice Poppy. Three of those large reflector triangles are good too. People don't handle freeway breakdowns well and giving them a lot of warning, with flares or large reflector, can save some lives for sure.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it's a Nitecore D20 i got in a sale a while ago. Modded it with a neutral XR-E and it's in my drivers door since then.

rayman

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice idea for a thread.

In addition to whatever I am personally carrying I always have a SureFire G2X in my console and a Malkoff Hound Dog in the cargo area.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA2 (now called a Quark QP2A) and a Zebralight H51 headlight in both cars. I keep each of them loaded up with rechargeable eneloops and 4 lithium AA batteries as back up in each car too. Having lights in our cars has come in handy several times in the past (so far for fun reasons and not for emergencies.) Truthfully, the real reason I have these lights in our cars is mostly for fun. In an emergency, I have lights on me already, so I'm prepared (lightwise) well enough I guess. But, when we show up somewhere at night, I like having the extra lights in the car so we each (wife & kids) have a light to play with....like at a friends house, or in a park, etc.

In my pocket is always a Zebralight SC52w, and on my keychain is my ITP A3 EOS (AAA light.) I have a spare lithium AAA on my keychain and a spare lithium AA on me too for the SC52w. I recently discovered that the SC52w will also run on a single AAA battery without loosing conectivity (even when shaken very hard)....cool.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I have a Surefire E1L with F04 that lives in my glove compartment, along with whatever light I happen to have with me that day.

Redhat703

Enlightened
Surefire 6PX in glove compartment and MD3 hi-lo + M61 219 in the trunk (survival pack). A Gerber Infinity Ultra AA inside the first aid kit.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Got my BOB in the trunk, loaded with gear. And a bunch of other gear in the trunk that most of which I honestly can't recall right now.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Wow! Some of you guy's carry some spendy lights in your car. Since a car EDC is assumed to be a loss at some point (broken due to riding around, getting banged up and the worse. Easily stolen) I went with the cheapie UltraFire WF501 with the XML-T6 P60 and a Sanyo 2800mah.
To make the light a decent and trusty one all you need to do is unsolder the driver board and replace the wires with 20ga silicone. Then pry off the LED (which is glued in with RTV) clean the pill and reseat it with ArticSilver Aluminia adhesive. Put it all back together and then replace all the o-rings with red silicone seals.
Total cost about $17 with the battery. And if the light gets swiped? Well wouldn't be happy but its not like losing a $40 SF 6P. And with the 5 mode regulator you get many hours on the low setting should you be stuck longer than expected.

John