Malkoff        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got to try out my lights in a REAL cave

Default Re: Got to try out my lights in a REAL cave

Great post and photos. When you listed all the lights you brought this time it made me lol. No disrespect. I would do the same thing after getting caught in the dark in a cave on your first trip.

​Welcome to CPF. I removed the long quote, as it was unnecessary.

Bill
    Last edited by Bullzeyebill; 09-15-2013 at 03:30 PM.

One thing I'm a little confused on. You mention needing alot of lumens, I could've sworn I'd read in several places that very few lumens were needed since it is so dark and your eyes adapt. Or does it depend on some factors? Is it safe to assume that bringing several reliable floody lights with a variety of outputs is the best idea?

You could easily get by on 100 lumens or less. . But lighting up an entire cavern is one way to really see a cave.

One problem is that the floor is very uneven. Imagine walking on a floor made up of rocks the size of marbles up to bowling balls, with drop-offs of 6"-18", and occasional rocks the size of coffee tables strewn about. Additionally, unlike a house with light color walls, the walls of a lave tube are dark black. . . And they just absorb the light!

Good lighting is essential for traveling through the cave without breaking anything! As I mentioned in post number one, when we arrived, EMS & Rescue were hauling a guy out who tripped on the uneven, wet floor and “blew” his knee out.
    Bill
    Pacific NW

It certainly is good fun to use lights where you really need them!

At the last CPF UK meet, we explored a vast mining complex. Amazing experience!

EDIT - Just to clarify that two of these photos were taken by me, and the others were taken by Jay_R (hence the reason I am in a lot of them wearing the orange suit). I just edited and published them, but thanks to Jay_R for risking a muddy camera to get these excellent shots.

Some of the motley crew getting ready to go.

The way in turned out to the be easiest of the entrances.

Nice to see the ceilings looking stable and safe to walk under.

Some of the miner's artwork.

An underground crane.

These tunnels are all hand cut.

We thought we would take one of the smaller blocks with us – "You take that end!"

After coming through a crawl space it got much more spacious.

Another one of those safe ceiling being held up while we all got through.

A lunch break.

Welcome to the Cathedral.

Light stick… that's not a light stick.

The quantity of material cut and removed by hand is astounding.

It looks quite a strong ceiling support, but the wood is now as strong as a wet paper bag.

Having to crawl through a small hole in the wall.

A nuclear bunker door just before the light sabre broke through.

Who put that door there?

Some slightly more modern ceiling support.

The remains of a WW2 wire mesh barrier. Looks like a great deal more effort went into making this than it took to get through it.

The miners used to come to work down this ladder.

Then down the steps.

One of the saws used to cut out most of these tunnels.

A crab-winch (I think).

A nicely built tunnel looking slightly out of place.

The way out was a much smaller opening you needed to wriggle through like a worm – glad to be out!

Last edited by subwoofer; 09-16-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    Tactical Reviews by Subwoofer
    Latest Reviews - @TacticalReviews and Facebook
    CandlePower Forums "Trusted Product Tester / Reviewer"

*Flashaholic*

Buttrock Re: Got to try out my lights in a REAL cave

Great pics!

I'll back up the prior mention that for some caves, you don't need a lot of light, and, for others, you do.

Some have flat black surfaces that seem to swollow the light whole, black hole-like conditions, and some are more reflective, etc.

Some have large areas and some have small areas.

The cd becomes more important than the lumens in some cases, as, we can't SEE lumens, we ONLY see lux.....which is the light that bounces back to our eyes.

Light falls off sharply with distance, so larger caves/caves with longer lines of sight....require more light, and, to GET the light TO bounce back, the flatter textured/black hole-ish ones....require a lot more light.

So, if you have a long line of sight in a flat textured/light sucking cave...you can need massive output to generate sufficient lux to see details at the involved distances.

So, yes, a variety of cd and lumen outputs, with a variety of beam patterns, is a handy thing to have along.

Last edited by TEEJ; 09-16-2013 at 02:36 AM.

Awesome photos subwoofer! Thank you for sharing them.

Great Photos subwoofer!!!!!

Thanks for posting them.
    Bill
    Pacific NW

Yes, thank you subwoofer! That looks like a great time.

Thanks for sharing. That's pretty damn cool!
    I have a love/hate relationship with caves, I LOVE to visit known caverns that have some space, but I have to be very careful not to trigger my mild claustrophobia <sigh>.
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

Sounds exciting. Will plan one caving next holiday.

Looks to me like a limestone mine and would explain the hand saw. I'm very envious to say the least.

Flashaholic

Those are amazing pictures and great narration. Thank you for sharing them with us. I wish there were caves like that around me. I'll probably never get to travel to see those beautiful sites.
    FENIX E01, E05, E15, LD22, PD32 S2, TK15 S2, TK35 U2. STREAMLIGHT PolyTac LED, Strion LED[B]. Foursevens Quark Pro QP2L-X. And a couple of old MagLights for nastalgia, and lets face it- if you ever lose your hammer... 18650 Charging provided by Xtar WP2 II.

Quote Originally Posted by houser23 View Post
    Looks to me like a limestone mine and would explain the hand saw. I'm very envious to say the least.
    Indeed it is a limestone mine. The very one that produced the stone for Buckingham Palace and pretty much all of Bath :-)

Quote Originally Posted by zespectre View Post
    I have a love/hate relationship with caves, I LOVE to visit known caverns that have some space, but I have to be very careful not to trigger my mild claustrophobia <sigh>.
    I can get claustrophobia, but this generally relates to a lot of people being present. The mine is huge and even regular visitors say they have maybe once or twice bumped into another group. Once you get going and the excitement of exploring takes over it is easy to forget. Well that is until

Quote Originally Posted by LightCrazy View Post
    Those are amazing pictures and great narration. Thank you for sharing them with us. I wish there were caves like that around me. I'll probably never get to travel to see those beautiful sites.
    It was an opportunity that came up only thanks to the offer of an experienced caver. One of those once in a lifetime chances you have to jump at. It was a bit of a worry, and does have risks.

There was one section where the guide said "Stay quiet, don't touch the ceiling and move through as quickly as you can". Only afterwards was it mentioned that the ceiling was going to come down at any time.

Just to set the record straight about the photos, two of them were taken by me, and the others were taken by Jay_R (hence the reason I am in a lot of them wearing the orange suit) - I'll edit the photo post to clarify.

Default Re: Got To Try Out My Lights In A Real Cave

Quote Originally Posted by houser23 View Post
    I've explored hundreds of mines but this one was always the most special to me. The Hawver cave was a natural limestone cave filled with prehistoric fossils and other wonders. They dynamited the entrance but as a kid I would squeeze through a tiny opening that would send a claustrophobic person into panic mode and explore for hours. Now they are opening the cave back up to the public and are planning tours as early as this Fall. Can't wait to bring my Tn31mb and Fenix Tk-75 with me this time.

http://hawvercave.org/MQM_HC_Tour_Guide.html
    Lol, glad to hear that you made it to adulthood ... "explore for hours" ... that's awesome for a kid ... scary for a parent.

It looks like the Mines of Moria.

You didn't see a pair of bulbous eyes or hear the pitter patter of wet feet following you's, did you?

"My precious..."

I realize this thread is a couple of years old; but I know plenty of people who would love to visit the Ape Caves - myself, included :-). Seems like the perfect place for a flashaholic to make good use of some nice lights.

Flashaholic*

Always good to see these older "special experience" threads, especially as a new member of CPF. Thank you all!

A good friend of mine took me to the Great Orme Bronze Age copper mine in Wales (link) while I was visiting him several years ago, but they have permanent lighting in all areas. I still had my LED Lenser V2 with me, though, just in case! If you're in the area, the mine's well worth a visit, even if you don't get to use your lights
    Phlogiston is the main constituent of Magic Smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by subwoofer View Post

Welcome to the Cathedral.

The quantity of material cut and removed by hand is astounding.

Everything about this post is unbelievably cool. Should have made friends with you @ the CPF meet.

I WANNA GO!

EDIT:

Still think we should do a CPF run through the Catacombs, no joke, even if it took a year to plan. That would be AWESOME.

GREAT stuff!!

Flashaholic* MidnightDistortions's Avatar

I love cave exploring!! I haven't been in one since the late 90's, but they would be a great place to use your lights .
    LED Lights: Nitecore EA81, EA41, EA42, ThruNite TN4A, Ti3, Coast HP7-410, 530, LEDLenser T7, Fenix E25, LD4, Maglite XL50, 2D, 3D (3rd Gen), AA MiniMaglite Pro+
    Chargers: Maha C9000, La Crosse BC1000, Panasonic BQ-CC17, Eneloop user.

Quote Originally Posted by dealgrabber2002 View Post
    I would use a quality low lumen light to keep the place spooky.
    Yeah.

Back in undergrad I once visited a sand cave out in the desert near San Diego California. These were temporary caves created when runoff drilled holes through the dunes and then flowed to the river. The caves were made out of sand and sometimes only a meter high.

White LEDs didn't exist back then. I brought a 4C Underwater Kinetics dive light. It was blindingly bright... far too bright for such an enclosed space.

I would have brought MUCH different lights but great writeup and pics!

Just bumping these older ones so they show up in the thread list; I assume most people only have it set to show 30 days back.

Great pics subwoofer!

Carter Caves state park here in ky offers flashlight tours but I have yet to make it up there to do them
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

Quote Originally Posted by Tac Gunner View Post
    Great pics subwoofer!

Carter Caves state park here in ky offers flashlight tours but I have yet to make it up there to do them

Thanks, that was an awesome meet and exploration of a closed mine. The advantage of the caving as opposed to official tours is that you have more opportunities to go where you want, for however long you want, stopping to take photos. 'Officially' that visit was 'trespass' so shh, don't tell anyone it was me.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestChump View Post

Everything about this post is unbelievably cool. Should have made friends with you @ the CPF meet.

I WANNA GO!

EDIT:

Still think we should do a CPF run through the Catacombs, no joke, even if it took a year to plan. That would be AWESOME.
    It would be fun, I would bring lots of spares though something tells me that light is the last thing a lost group of flashaholics would run out of.
    The darkness is not my enemy, it is just where they hide: my fears, the unknown, and those that would do harm fear the light. I must always carry it with me to dispel the darkness and reveal the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by zespectre View Post
    My experience is that the cure for claustrophobia is to get comfortable, and take a nap. -after a few times of that, a few 20-30 min naps, the fear is never the same, ever again.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

My worst claustrophobia times have been under cars btw, which are much more likely to crush you to death than any cave is... never trust a hydraulic jack, and don't work under your car on days when they are calling for earthquakes. ;-)
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by eh4 View Post
    My worst claustrophobia times have been under cars btw, which are much more likely to crush you to death than any cave is... never trust a hydraulic jack, and don't work under your car on days when they are calling for earthquakes. ;-)
    And, always use jack stands. The more the better.

No caves in my area...definitely something I should add to my bucket list...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast