Armytek --- Not a Canadian Manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SemiMan

Banned
3rd time trying to post as the last two looked like they post, but do not show up in the list strangely enough.

What does it take to be considered a "Canadian" manufacturer ... or U.S. or .... etc.

Shouldn't that mean more than just taking a finished product out of box that is shipped from China?

Sounds like they have a huge design team and all the models would suggest quite a bit ...... yet the "headquarters" your typical detached house in suburban Toronto .... and the flashlights look like pretty much like every other made in China flashlight ...

Perhaps there is Canadian money behind it ... behind paying for things to be made and shipped, but a Canadian manufacturer .... nope, doesn't look like anything is made in Canada, so they are about as Canadian as any other Chinese flashlight company.

What do others think about this "truth in advertising"?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well true... but isn't Surefire one of the only companies that actually makes their lights in the US? Streamlight is US too... not sure where they have their stuff made though.

carrot

Flashaholic
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...tising-Armytek-Canadian-Manufacturer-unlikely
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...t-advertising-Armytek-Canadian-Mfr-not-likely

Personally not a fan of Armytek's claim to being a Canadian manufacturer. Feels dishonest. However, there are a few manufacturers who design in America and manufacture in China and I often feel like their designs are more in tune with what we want.

I feel unqualified to make judgement on whether or not Armytek meets better the needs of its perceived audience than other manufacturers, having no idea of its intended market or even seen an Armytek light in real life. But I agree that their choice of words is... distasteful, and that they should do a better job of labeling themselves.

"Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China." and so on.

carrot

Flashaholic
Well true... but isn't Surefire one of the only companies that actually makes their lights in the US? Streamlight is US too... not sure where they have their stuff made though.

Streamlight -- some products are US-made.
Pelican, Peak, Arc, Maglite, HDS, Princeton Tec are also US-made as well.

Peak, Malkoff, Mag, etc....
But look at 4sevens as an "American" company with Chinese manufacturing. They are really upfront that they make their lights in China, and nobody really minds. Their CS is in the US, though. It appears that Armytec is being a bit shady about their manufacturing and CS locations, but they are not fooling anyone. That is the difference to me.

[edit] Carrot beat me to a bigger list of US lights...

SemiMan

Banned

No there are other small custom vendors that do at least some machining, etc. in the U.S. or wherever they are based. It's the claim of being a XXX Manufacturer when you are not really a manufacturer but really a marketing company. It is not a statement of the products, but if you think you are buying "US", or "Canadian" or "German" or whatever based on claims, that is what you want to be buying.

Semiman

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure of the definition of a "Canadian Manufacturer". But with that said, Armytek seems interesting and builds good flashlight, according to the Reviews I have read. But Canadian they are not, and using the Canadian flag they should not. Because its a bit misleading. :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like their lights and find them very well made. I find their quality much better than some of my Surefire lights. I am truly in love with my warm white Predator Pro and I am looking forward to their redesign on the Predator Pro to include a proper solid mounting point for lanyard. Personally I don't care if they are made in China, marketed as Canadian manufacturer, or Canadian company. As long as they deliver quality products, who cares?

Anyway, I believe Armytek is the company of a Chinese guy based in Canada. When I buy my Predator Pro direct from them the payment was made via PayPal to a Chinese guy. I think this is the same business model for Zebralight. Chinese guy based in the US.

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
I like their lights and find them very well made. I find their quality much better than some of my Surefire lights. I am truly in love with my warm white Predator Pro and I am looking forward to their redesign on the Predator Pro to include a proper solid mounting point for lanyard. Personally I don't care if they are made in China, marketed as Canadian manufacturer, or Canadian company. As long as they deliver quality products, who cares?

Well if you are trying to support your neighbours you may care. It is also about promoting honesty and transparency which as consumers is important as well.

Semiman

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if you are trying to support your neighbours you may care. It is also about promoting honesty and transparency which as consumers is important as well.

Semiman
I have edited my comments above to add a new paragraph while you are posting this. Anyway, I fully understand where you are coming from and I feel the same way too. Granted, I would really like to see them manufactured in Canada.

holylight

Enlightened
Anyway to be more objective shouldn't we talk about quality, runtime, throw, flood, price. Than to debate on where is is make in and this goes on forever and ever. Btw I like make in Japan staff..... And never like make in china food.

stevenkelby

Enlightened
Anyway to be more objective shouldn't we talk about quality, runtime, throw, flood, price. Than to debate on where is is make in and this goes on forever and ever. Btw I like make in Japan staff..... And never like make in china food.

The problem is not where they are made. The problem is the company is being dishonest and misleading people. Maybe.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually you are right. That's what the LED Flashlights category in this forum was meant for, to discuss the merits, make, and quality of LED flashlights and not for debating on the origins of the company and manufacture.

mhpreston

Enlightened
I'm old enough to remember the transition from 'Made in Japan' (or Germany, for that matter) from what was considered inferior quality to what it is now. I'm impressed with the quality and innovation Chinese products can achieve.

LEDburn

Enlightened
In America (surely elsewhere too) you can purchase items which are labeled as "Made in the U.S." but were actually, for the most part, made in China or some other manufacturing plant in another country.

There is a law which allows it and I know for a fact that a certain global bicycle company went to court as they believed that having frames manufactured in Taiwan but painting and assembling them on home soil constitutes being "Made in the U.S." they were caught out and since label them accordingly but I wonder how many others haven't been.
Has anyone personally visited and seen, or know with absolute certainty where Surefires are being made? Makes you wonder..

To the O.P: have you used an Armytek? I have only had my predator for a week and it is simply stunning in every aspect. I could not care where it is made, designed etc. as the quality seems so far above everything else in the price range and higher!
Doesn't Zebralight claim to be a U.S. company? All my ZL's are shipped from China...

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the O.P: have you used an Armytek? I have only had my predator for a week and it is simply stunning in every aspect. I could not care where it is made, designed etc. as the quality seems so far above everything else in the price range and higher!
Agree wholeheartedly! I think the Predator or Predator Pro are over engineered for what I am paying for. I would take a Predator series anytime over other brands like Klarus, Nitecore, Jetbeam and the likes.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened

Semiman

"Neighbours" vs "neighbors," are you a Canadian?

I agree with you though, a Canadian "manufacturer" should manufacture in Canada. It is misleading, regardless of the quality of the product.

Last edited:

hatman

Enlightened
I try to buy my lights from dealers who are accessible and give good service.

Try to call Armytek in Canada and see if anyone answers. They don't.

I asked several times for a working number and Armytek responded that email is the best way to reach them.

Is anyone really there at their supposed Canadian facility?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a quote from something I posted in a thread in Armytek's forum on CPFMarketplace. I made this statement on 8/12 but they never replied to it.

Here is what I said :

"As an outside observer who is considering Armytek products, I would suggest a change in your advertisement banner on CPF. If states something like "Canadian Manufacturer" on it. It would seem that you are a Canadian company but that your products are actually manufactured in China. This is an important distinction. For example, there are a number of American companies(Eagletac, 4sevens, Zebralight, etc.) that are based in the U.S. and design their lights here but are open about the fact that they are manufactured in China. For most of us, this is completely fine and doesn't take away from their products. It's just that your advertisement leads people to think that your lights are made in Canada. Just my 2 cents
poke2.gif
"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.