• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired TNT Reflector/Extreme service mods for Surefire KX1/KX2/KX2C/E1B/E2DL/LX2 heads

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
For people not satisfied with beam profile of Surefire TIR optics (yeah, there are few of us here, lol), this is a nice upgrade to your loyal EDCs if you're waging should you go for new line of Ultra's (EB1, EB2, E2DL-U) or upgrade your current EDC to certain point...

This mod is nothing new, lot of talented members do LED swaps and driver swaps and even install McR reflectors... but I've decided to put everything together in one thread as few members asked me to mod their KX1/KX2 heads which I succedded opening w/o scratching them and turning into Extreme or Reflector mod (Wild or Mild)...

To be continued...

lzzCJU6.jpg

OPkBDwb.jpg

sBLNjIX.jpg

tk56FM3.jpg

BEST WAY OF COMMUNICATION IS VIA EMAIL... you can send it to:

iDfBqtf.jpg

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
This mod is basically turning the KX1/KX2 heads into more potent, more modern and "reflectorized" setups... usual LEDs and drivers are possible to be chosen from the bunch for each individual mod... The gain is flawless beam profile, greatly centered hotspot with great throw (varies between LED choice and amperage driven them) - allows more throw compared to stock TIR with better spill for side-vision... Think of it as P60 module in e-series package... :)

Price for modding KX1/KX2 heads is:

Nichia 219B or XPG2 or XPE2 driven at 1.4 Amps (Reflector) is $80
and include all premium materials (custom aluminum reflector, copper PCB board, latest LEDs, arctic alumina silver epoxy, customized drivers or keeping stock drivers in place) and return shipping with registered priority airmail... Price includes fixed modes per wish (example: Low/High-NoMemory or High/Med/Low-WithMemory)...

CREE XPG2 driven at 2.6 Amps (Extreme) is $85 and has same premium components like Reflector above with additional components on driver to allow more amperage to the LED for greater output... Although I've seen XPE2 being pushed at this amperage (meaning it's possible to go with XPE2 for max possible throw) I don't recommend overdriving Nichia 219B as not much is gained except heat - beast to stay within factory specs... Price includes fixed modes per wish (example: Low/High-NoMemory or High/Med/Low-WithMemory)...

Upgrade driver to fully custom and programmable H17F (by Dr.Jones) is extra $22...
Upgrade LED to XPL HD or XPL HI is extra $7...
Upgrade driver firmware to LuciDrvFT (fully user programmable driver) is extra
$12...
Upgrade tailcap to McClicky (recommended for 1.5Amp, definitely needed for 3+ Amps is extra $16...

http://drjones.nerdcamp.net/h17f.html

http://drjones.nerdcamp.net/index.html#lucid

Reflector as I mark on label on heads is either XPE2 or XPG2 or Nichia219 driven at either 1 Amp or 1.4 Amps on high, usually with custom driver set to 2-mode and no memory (but can be setup any other way)... this setup can be left on high until battery is depleted... EDIT: Add $12 extra if LuciDrv (MumboJumbo) fully programmable driver with extra stuff is wanted to be used for the mod...

Mods with customized driver are optimized for single Li-Ion cell use but Reflector (XPG2 or XPE2 or 219B at 1.4Amps) is well within safe voltage for driver and safe current for primary cells - so in case of need 2xCR123 cells can be used to power Reflector mod (not with Extreme)...

Oh... the MAIN upgrade in these heads is - REFLECTOR... I try to not mess with stock TIR... reflector provide very close lux measurements and outstanding beam quality with tight hotspot so I will not play with TIR at this time... reflectorized KX1/KX2 is the way to go... :)

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, guys... KL1 heads requires some milling and I don't have it yet... I'm progressing step by step... :) So KL1 and KL4 heads are off the shelf for now... only heads from the subject (KX1B should be added)... I'm so satisfied how these KX1 type turned out that I'm fixing all kind of setups right now - for fun... :)

Nema na cemu... :)

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should you decide that you are ready to "play" with a KL1 I would be happy to provide a specimen:)

Thanks for the offer, dude... I do have one KL1 head that will be a testing mice... but for now there is really no point as KX1/KX2 works wonders with this specific custom reflector... I still have lots of setups in mind (different LEDs, different driver setups) for KX1/KX2 which is lots of experimenting... :) But I love how the setup turned out...

Now I need to find two black KX1/KX2 in mint shape... :)

Last edited:

flat-ray

Enlightened
I have a KX1 sleeping in a drawer waiting for a mod. I am following with interest the evolution of your drivers, particularly ramping modes and hidden modes.

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using my TNT Extreme XPG2 R5 1C Cool White e2e light from Tana now on quite a few walks. This one has the custom reflector instead of the TIR optics and has the most beautiful beam and excellent throw and spill. This mod is excellent for all around use and walks. Now I want another with a xpg2 4500k. This mod will not disappoint anyone....THANKS Tana....Robert

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using my TNT Extreme XPG2 R5 1C Cool White e2e light from Tana now on quite a few walks. This one has the custom reflector instead of the TIR optics and has the most beautiful beam and excellent throw and spill. This mod is excellent for all around use and walks. Now I want another with a xpg2 4500k. This mod will not disappoint anyone....THANKS Tana....Robert

You're welcome, Rob... I'm slowly diverting one by one soul away from TIR in these heads... just by installing more efficient LED (XPG2 R5) in combo with reflector you get lux measurements VERY CLOSE to original lux numbers of XRE in combo with TIR even with stock driver... now just because it's XPG2 we can push it at 1.4A for more lux than stock or even 2.6 Amps as in your mod for much more lux and way more lumens...

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tana,
This is a good mod and a nice beam is a huge plus.

One thing that I have noticed is the smaller XPE type emitters when paired with Surefire TIR Optic produce a nicer beam than bigger XML/XPG emitters. So, maybe a XPE2 dedomed would still look nice in the TIR but needeless to say no way close to how pretty a SMO Reflector upgrade like what you offer here.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Tana, you're killing me here... but in a really, good way though! I just picked up an E2L + KX2A after I saw this thread. I really like the e-series form factor but never liked the TIR optics at all so this is perfect. Sending you a PM now...:grin2:

Btw, I've never seen so many sales threads for e-series lights than I have recently and I think Tana has a lot to do with increasing the value and usefulness of SF e-series lights with all his great work!

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tana, you're killing me here... but in a really, good way though! I just picked up an E2L + KX2A after I saw this thread. I really like the e-series form factor but never liked the TIR optics at all so this is perfect. Sending you a PM now...:grin2:

Btw, I've never seen so many sales threads for e-series lights than I have recently and I think Tana has a lot to do with increasing the value and usefulness of SF e-series lights with all his great work!

Well I hope you're wrong about that motion that it's partly my fault prices of e-series went up because I couldn't live with myself knowing I'm the reason why my collection is not bigger then now... :) But I don't believe that's the case... I've seen some E1E's on ebay reached some ridiculous prices and I doubt they ever heard of some dude from Bosnia modding them... lol

TIR vs Reflector... I would always pick slightly less throw but perfect beam quality over ringy beam profile... Don't want to pound on Surefire LED selection but about last dozen of their LED lights I've got are rather GREEN in output... really hurt my eyes... that's why I like Nichia219 so much - it really is easy on people with sensitive eyes... but even XPG2 CW or NW look way better to me with reflector instead of TIR... I'm glad I'm not the only one not really impressed with TIR setups... :)

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Please don't misconstrue my comments as I definitely wasn't implying at all about prices!:eek: Fleabay has insance prices for all SF lights. period. So definitely no impact there!

Seriously though: it's about e-series and their value as a host - I always thought e-series lights were mostly the unloved and neglected SF sibling next to the C, M hosts... until you started to offer your great work!

Last edited:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Hi Tana,

Just a question... for this mod, is there a need to upgrade the tailcap to a McClicky? My initial thought was that, since you're only driving it at 1A or 1.4A, the stock tailcap should be fine. Just wanted to confirm.

Thanks,
L

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tana,

Just a question... for this mod, is there a need to upgrade the tailcap to a McClicky? My initial thought was that, since you're only driving it at 1A or 1.4A, the stock tailcap should be fine. Just wanted to confirm.

Thanks,
L

Well, depends for which mod... for "mild" one that I had no smart name for so I called it simply "Reflector" no tailcap is needed as max current to installed LED would be 1.4 Amps (XPG2 or Nichia219 at 1.4 Amps and XPE2 at 1 Amp)... "Extreme" however is a setup that overdrives XPG2 LED (single LED) at 2.6 Amps so for that current a McClicky would be a better solution as it's more reliable and provides less resistance compared to stock SF clicky... but main thing - it's more reliable and SF is prone to failure soon or later at those amperages...

They both are using similar components except for the driver... mild is safe to turn on high and run until battery is depleted... Extreme will get hot on high in 4-5 minutes and step-down should be made to lower mode...