Ever get the feeling that........

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4jdn

Newly Enlightened
by the time the much awaited L4 hits the streets, it will be outdated? Seems like an eternity for a 1-watter to get to production. Now that the Luxeon III is mainstream and things are changing everyday, seems a little long to get to market.

Before the flaming starts............ I own a LSH-P first, and LSHF-P first, 3-2003 CPF AAAs, 3-premium AAAs, and an ARC AA first. I'm full aware of ARC quality. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

James

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the LS4 is a little outdated. The circuity certainly isn't, but the LED output seems a little behind. It will be Arc quality, and that is what people want. Too bad Arc didn't speed things up a little so that they could be releasing something like the LS4 but maybe with a lux III or something.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the lux3 is in no way superior to the 1w.
it is made to work with a different set of criteria. more current is needed for it to function optimally, and at that point, the battery life is reduced.

the for the ls4, the one watt is the [/b]ideal[/b] solution. even if it used 10 nichias, all the other features sets it in a class of it's own.

remember, the ls is supposed to be an edc light. i think for most purposes, the 1w is still the single best edc.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
I agree with Roth. My 1 watt LSs and BB/MM sandwiches put out plenty of light for every single need (as opposed to "want") I've encountered. Folks with other needs will have the LS5 to look forward to, a light that I understand will follow quickly on the LS4's heels.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdated for screaming bright output? Yes.
For its intended purpose? No! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif
It is designed to be a good all around EDC light, not to cook someones retinas at 200 feet! (I have my MR-X for that). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have read, the LS4 will drive the "1 watt" LS at 700mA for a short time until the thermal sensor tones it down. I am pretty sure that Peter is aware that is what the Luxeon III runs and will probably put an LS III in the LS4.
Personally, I would love a Luxeon III in the LS4, hit it at max brightness to see "what was that" for 10 to 20 seconds. I am interested to see how the reflector works in the design also...things should be interesting.
The reason I will only buy one with a Luxeon III is the really high bins that are out. S and T bins equate to Q and R bins in the 1 watters and my BB500's are R's. The introduction of the Luxeon III's play perfectly into Peter's plans of the 700mA short-term thermally controlled settings.
The Luxeon III and LS4 go together! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

LukeK

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
I am pretty sure that Peter is aware that is what the Luxeon III runs and will probably put an LS III in the LS4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter has already confirmed that the 1W WILL be going into the LS4. No need for speculation. Use of a Lux III in the LS4 would be wasteful and contradictory to it's purpose as a decently long running EDC. The Lux III's have higher Vf's and when run at low amperages (which is what the LS4's will be run at almost all the time) are less efficient than the 1 watters. The short 'boost' mode of the LS4 is not enough to justify the drop in efficiency at all the other levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.