want cheap multi-color led flashlight

stump

Newly Enlightened
My 8 year old grandson is fascinated by my flashlights. Most are led and most are white. He recently was playing with my Pal-light which emits blue. He was asking if flashlights come with different color beams. When I said they did, he commented how neat it would be to have one which allows the user to select the color.
Sounds like a great idea for a Christmas gift (in addition to all the stuff the wife already has bought him).
I've been searching online but all I could find is a $40 Eternalight. I don't want to pay so much for something which could, potentially, be lost or broken. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced led flashlight that does this? Just a flashlight, no flashing or sequencing is needed.

paulr

Flashaholic
I've got a Photon X-light Rainbow which was $6 or so but which I decided is useless. PM me your address and I'll send it to you if I can find it. (Lemme look for it first before you get too excited. It's probably around here somewhere but it's been a while since I saw it).

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waddya mean for a kid?

I want one too........

I think the Photon X-light Rainbow - that PaulR very generously offered - just shows multi-colors, and is not selectable to a single color.

I would be very interested in a pocket flashlight that one could select between red, green, blue and white - and any combination.

One can kind of do that with the Color Kinetics/Sauce color changing LED LightWand -
ckanim.gif
LightWand_pkg_150x223.jpg

This is their Micro LightWand -
MicroLW_Animation.gif

But as you see they're not exactly flashlights per se....

Also I think there was a kid's LED flashlight at Wal-Mart by Ray-O-Vac that that used 3xAAA - had Yellow, Red and Green LEDs(?) for about $8(?)

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sharper Image has one called the Three-Color Sliding Torch for under $10. Seems to have a separate LEDs for red, blue and white. Runs on 3 AAA batts.

Clik for link.

FYI - Previous discussions on the forum have indicated that Sharper Image provides financial support to organizations opposed to the 2nd Ammendment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Mark_Paulus

Enlightened
We got a 3 LED flashlight for our kids. They have Green / Amber / Red. Button advances through the colors, and only one color at a time. I will check with the wife where we got them. Runs off of (3) AAA in a 3 to D type holder. (Their own of course)

JJHitt

Enlightened
Walmart has a "Coleman Kids" (or something like that) that has red, green, and amber LEDs.. the switch cycles through the colors one at a time. Takes 3 AAAs and costs abuot 8 bucks. (This is one of my girlfriends favorite lights).

For those with bigger budgets there's the EternaLight Raven.

stump

Newly Enlightened
Well, I struck out at Walmart. The employee says they very well may have carried such a thing at one time but don't, now.
I'm going to just keep looking at various stores now that I know someone makes such an item. If I can't find it, I'll be doing some last-minute modding, I guess.
RonM: I looked at the Sharper Image offering and don't much like it and the 2nd ammendment thing clinched it. I won't buy Levis for the same reason.
I'll post again once I find or build something.
Thanks.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen those multo color small lights also at the DISCOVERY store (in most malls). Also ALL ELECTRONICS sells two kinds of color changing LED's one is a blob style, no focus, but good for bottom lighting glass blocks. The second is a standard 5mm casing. These are great, fast color flash for 8 secs then slow color fare in/out for about a min. $3.75 ea (3.50 10ormore)

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=340200&type=store

A quick search on EBAY you can find these in lots of 10 - 100 (lot of 10 presentally less than $4 +S&H)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2577667122&category=26207

I have run mine straight off 3.6 but will also work well on 3.0 (2xAA)

jeff

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
added note, a while ago 1 got a lot of those keychane fobs, photon knockoffs. I replaces a couple blue ones with these multi-color 5mm jobbies. they look cool (actually had several people want to buy them off me) a sub-note on that. for a kid toy, use an emery board and sand the outside of the LED (matte finish. in the photon case these LED's are QUITE bright and I have found that small kids (along with myself) will just stare into the bulb. (like a cheap acid trip).lol. later
Jeff

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JJHitt said:
Walmart has a "Coleman Kids" (or something like that) that has red, green, and amber LEDs.. the switch cycles through the colors one at a time. Takes 3 AAAs and costs abuot 8 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

My walmart also carries the Brinkman Rebel. 2AA, one white led, with red, yellow, and blue (I think) filters.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, that LED light is the dimmest one I've ever seen. Accessories are a nice addition/addon to the Brinkmann Legend LX /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif