Anyone tried this light before?

stockwiz

Enlightened
never tried it. Probably makes a good around the house flood beam that's slightly brighter then a 1 watt luxeon, but it's nothing to scream at. I wouldn't buy it because it uses size "N" batteries.

Negeltu

Enlightened
I have nothing against n batts myself. They are quite abundant here...lol. And they aren't THAT bad as far as capacity.

B@rt

Flashaholic
It looks like a Led Lenser knock-off ( the V16 chipfire)
v2_16chips_klein.jpg

The Led Lenser uses 3 "C"sized batts though. I wonder if three "N" cells are able to drive it to full spec... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
HI.
It is a knock-off of the LedLenser V2-16Chip (got you Bart! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) that is much bigger than this one (about 24cm total length) and uses 3xC-Cells in a stainless steel body.
Read more about it here if interested. It is much more expensive, too.

I do not think that 3xN-Cells could power 16 LEDs to full spec as Bart already pointed out, and the runtime would be ridiculous, too.

bernhard

EDIT: pics of the V2-16Chip
fb9f5aa9.jpg

fb9f5aae.jpg

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hey B,
you are the LL expert here on CPF... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm just tagging along... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
B@rt, this is just because you let me do it ... we know it ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like lights as much as the rest of you, But I just don't get the constant increase in led's per light. then to run them on N's, I just dont get it. I could make a 10x10 and run it on N's, for a few nims anyway. just my two cents worth.
jeff

Kiessling

Flashaholic
WE know this is mostly an inferior solution.
BUT for the uninformed, a huge number of LEDs sounds very good, AND they are still cheaper than an LS AND you do not have to worry about the beam since the 5mm LEDs provide their own optix, it is much easier to do a light like this.
AND ... SF did it as well, think KL2 ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
As for the power source ... small cells for small lights, big cells for big lights ... but this combo with small cells in a big light is funny.
bernhard

Negeltu

Enlightened
I personally enjoy modding lights to use 5mm led arrays. They put out alot of light...I can experiment more because it's not that expensive to screw up...as opposed to the LS's. I can run 20 5mm on 3 D batts for quite a good amount of time. The 5mm leds are more versatile than the LS's ... they have no lens that easily pops off... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I agree for the number of leds in this light...n cells are not appropriate. Just wanted to see if anyone has tried this light before. I DO find n cells great for 3 to 4 white 5mm leds in 2AA flashlight bodies. At least for my purposes.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I totally agree. A few 5mm's are fine with N-Cells and can deliver quite a punch for a decent runtime. Anything more would be too much for the little guys IMHO.
Except for their well known flaws thiose two do this job quite well:

fce9202d.jpg

LedLenser V2 Triplex

fce92027.jpg

LedLenser V12 Triplex

bernhard