HDS rotary with Nichia 219

creyc

Enlightened
It's starting to look like I've got Nichia emitters in almost everything I own!

I decided I would probably use my HDS rotary a whole lot more if I were more happy with its tint. I know its probably been said a million times already, but this light Harry designed is a work of genius! I was concerned it would be difficult to work on, not having done one before, but I was impressed with how simply its constructed. Using solid wire bus up to the MCPCB instead of wires is something I wish was more common.

Sw7pgzL.jpg

E1xEwdJ.jpg

I wish these came factory this way, I'm always impressed by how much of an improvement this 219 offers over the typical cool white option.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did my clicky over the weekend and debated between 219 and xpg2 5k. Choose the 5k. you are correct that the light is genius in its design.

My plan now is to buy a rotary and put in the 219. Do you notice a lot more heat?

eala

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nichia is a nice emitter .... I still like my old SSC-P4 though :)

Me too! I LOVE my high CRI SSC in my Twisty, one of the nicest beam I know. Too bad this led never got an upgrade. The form factor was a joy to use for any moder...

I also enjoy my 219 Rotary but I feel the SSC has a more natural tint...

andi15

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

how is the beam?
Once I put in a Nichia in a Rotary and there was a big white ring in the beam.

Thank you and regards
Fritz

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

how is the beam?
Once I put in a Nichia in a Rotary and there was a big white ring in the beam.

Thank you and regards
Fritz

I also have a ring with a 219 but I guess it is because I have a first generation unit. These had a donut beam because of the reflector used at that time but it was less visible with the stock XP-G.

For white wall hunter, it could be irritating but in real life usage, it's not noticeable.

creyc

Enlightened
The light doesn't have a 'perfect beam', nor did it to start with. See the faint ring of light around the hotspot.

I'm not sure anyone could ever detect it in actual use however.

ii2hH2M.jpg

andi15

Newly Enlightened
Hi, exactly this ring I meant, which is not acceptable for me.

Next time I will try to put 0.2 mm copper foil under the pcb, because the DIE of the XP-G is a little bit higher as far as I know.

Regards
Fritz