SST-90 in 130mm reflector mod

Vidar2032

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Thought it was time to post my little project here. The flashlight has been used frequently for a year or so, so I know it works well.

I bough a cheap LED flashlight. The original LED are relatively weak (5W or so) but even with that power, the big reflector throws the beam pretty far. However, enough isn't enough for me, so I modified it with something better - well better isn't allways a good thing, but anyways...

This flashlight has a 4V lead battery (Approx 4.5V fully charged). Capacity of approx 6Ah (factory rated). Perfect for a 30W SST-90 LED :)

What about the LED-driver? Well, I made it simple. In series with the LED I put a small coil which has an internal resistance of approx 0.09 Ohm. That would limit the voltage to approx 3.7V over the LED with a draw og approx 9 amps.
I know the coil probalby would generate a small voltage spike when I turn the light off (Due to the break down of magnetic field around the coil), but the inductance is very very low so it isn't a problem. As said above, the flashlight has worked great for a year or so.

The original LED was surface mounted on the metal reflector. Some additional aluminium discs for even better cooling. I did the same with the SST-90 LED.

I replaced the original switch with one that handles more current. The small board you see in the picture is disabled (not in use anymore). That board also have a chip which controlled the orange blinking LEDs (Removed those LEDs).

I hope you enjoy the pictures. I will add some night-pictures later where I compare this flashlight with the headlighs from my car (I only need to find a USB cable that fits in my Olympus camera). The present pictures was taken with a cellphone...

Coil (resistor) closeup.
01.jpg

Coil (resistor) at the left, switch at the right. Aluminium discs fixed on the reflector.
02.jpg

SST-90 closeup
03.jpg

Mounted SST-90
04.jpg

Reflector diameter @ 130mm
05.jpg

Flashlight housing
06.jpg

Beam at 0.5 meter
07.jpg

Beam at 5 meter.
08.jpg

New switch
09.jpg

10.jpg

The battery. Lead, 4V.
11.jpg

Latango

Newly Enlightened
I Love it! Nice and simple. Take some outdoor beamshots some time, looks like it has a nice hotspot :)

Vidar2032

Newly Enlightened
Here is some pictures for comparison purpose. It is in the middle of the night, and my camera is set to 4 second exposure time, F8. Parts of the image is a little over exposured, but for the comparison purpose it is relevant. The visual appearence is slightly less than what you see in the pictures.

The road is slightly curved into a downhill, so it seams that the low beam is throwing to far away, but a perfect spot for light comparisons.

The birch (That is lit up on the last picture) right in the middle of the road at the end is 720 feet away (220 meters). I must say this flash light modification was successful :)

Low beam on my car.
01-low.JPG

High beam
02-high.JPG

High beam + 4x (no brand) LED aux-lights (Not in use on public roads).
03-high-plus-4xLED.JPG

Then the modified flashlight with 130mm reflector. Thows pretty far, doesn't it? Same exposure setting for the camera as the above pictures.
The birch that is lit up over there is 220 meters away. None of the car lights ar on - they are all turned off.
04-SST-90-130mm-reflector.JPG

Last edited:

Hoop

Enlightened
That's a tight beam alright. Nice diy resistor too. I am surprised though that the led survives with that small of a heatsink and no air exposure. I have an SR-90 and that light gets HOT on high and the heatsink is massive.