Black Diamond Moonlight Pro?

UltraRunner

Newly Enlightened
Newbie's 1st post.

In the latest edition of Trail Runner Mag. they mention a new model of the Black Diamond Moonlight called the Pro. It takes 3 AA's vs. 3 AAA'a. Would that make it brighter as well as run longer? I really like the 3AAA version I have except for it's run time. I run and race in 100 mile events that go all night, so my headlamp has to also. Are there any other new lightweight LED headlamps I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance. (I've been lurking here for months and really appreciate all the good info.)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the tip Ultra! I use the 3 aaa BD Moonlight alot, using three rechargeable aaa batteries (expensive!) and always wished they would make an aa version -- know where they can be had? welcome to cpf, and thanx agin..
wink.gif

UltraRunner

Newly Enlightened
I did a Google search and came up dry. The Black Diamond site does not have them listed yet but Trail Runner has a photo of it so it must be near to release.....

UltraRunner

Newly Enlightened
Somebody messed up. Here is the reply from Black Diamond about it:

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for writing. We actually didn't come out with that headlamp. At the
last minute, we decided to hold off on that model until next season, and
bring it out with some different features. So, it does not exist at the
moment. You might check out our Moonlight, as it's the same thing, but takes
AAA batteries instead of AA.
http://www.bdel.com/backcountry/headlamps_moonlight.html

Best,
Tommy

Tommy Chandler
[email protected]
(801) 278-5533
Black Diamond Retail, Inc.
2084 E. 3900 S. SLC, UT 84124

www.blackdiamondequipment.com
www.biblertents.com
www.scarpa-us.com
www.franklinclimbing.com

D

**DONOTDELETE**

thanks B@rt :>) -- I just ordered one Black Diamond Pro (AA) from Outek..we'll see what happens..

D

**DONOTDELETE**

...and I always wanted to see a skeleton riding a unicycle, so I guess I owe you one..
winkie.GIF

D

**DONOTDELETE**

maybe mr. bones would be better off on a Segway..
icon3.gif

(think he'll do it? hold on...
yellowlaugh.gif
)

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
We've been doing racing through the night for the last few years. The lights we ended up using are: Off-road: Arc-LS 2AA (One battery change per night)-handheld because it provides better view of road conditions, Good roads: Petzl Zoom fitted with LS led - 10-12hours per block battery. We have used PT matrixes, normal Zooms, Duo's, Maglites, Black Diamond's. The multiple led lights and specifically the LS lights give by far the best area lighting. For example: we are able to easily run 3'45"/km on gravel roads with the LS lights.

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
It IS here already. I saw it in a local outdoor store last week. As far as I remember, the only difference from the original moonlight is that it takes AA instead of AAA.

UltraRunner

Newly Enlightened
Where did you get the Zoom modified with the LS head and how much does it cost? I'll be running my first Western States 100 this June and am a bit worried about getting lost on the trail since I've never seen it before.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ladies and gentlemen, let us bow our heads...
---------
Hello,

We are currently out of stock of the Moonlight Pro and cannot say when they
will be in. Sorry for the inconvenience. Your order has been canceled and
your card has not been charged.

Thanks,

Darlene
-----------
(from Outek...
bluesigh.gif
-TTL)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Lux, isn't the headstrap sewn onto the case covers?
If so, do you sew the strap back on or what..?
Can the Moonlight head can be attached directly to the Lunar head mount?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Ted the Led:
Lux, isn't the headstrap sewn onto the case covers?
If so, do you sew the strap back on or what..?
Can the Moonlight head can be attached directly to the Lunar head mount?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nope. The strap isn't sewn in. Just pay attention to how it goes together before you unravel it, though.

Also, the headmounts on both those lights are exactly the same, so the easiest way to do it is to solder the leads from the Lunar battery compartment to the Moonlight head.

edit: I take that back. Now I remember that the Lunar has a thicker wire, and it won't fit in the Moonlight head. So just swap battery compartments, which is an easy thing to do once you take all the straps off.

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
We modified the Zoom's ourselves over here. Best bet for you would be to get a wizard circuit board and LS from dat2zip. Then you only need a switch. Fit it yourself inside the Zoom. The Wizard would be a bit brighter since we only drive our lights at about 300mA. This setup would allow you to use the 3 AA adapter for training (cheaper), and the block battery for races (duration). Put in a search for Petzl Zoom on the CPF. There are articles & pics.