Curious: LEDs vs. 2.5 to 5 million CP Peak or Stanley lights

wvdavidr

Newly Enlightened
I was in an auto parts store and saw a Peak 5 million candlepower light. I'm curious how it would compare for throw and flood vs. an Olight M22, Nitecore SRT7, etc. (900+ lumens)? Also, vs. Fenix TK75 or Nitecore TMs? I am curious but don't think it's ethical to buy one, test, and return it without ever intending to keep it. I remember comparing a Brinkmann halogen vs. Fenix TK11 a few years ago (the halogen was brighter).

Has anybody compared or seen a video (link please)?
Thanks,
David

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in an auto parts store and saw a Peak 5 million candlepower light. I'm curious how it would compare for throw and flood vs. an Olight M22, Nitecore SRT7, etc. (900+ lumens)? Also, vs. Fenix TK75 or Nitecore TMs? I am curious but don't think it's ethical to buy one, test, and return it without ever intending to keep it. I remember comparing a Brinkmann halogen vs. Fenix TK11 a few years ago (the halogen was brighter).

Has anybody compared or seen a video (link please)?
Thanks,
David

Strictly speaking, there is no worthwhile comparison. I have had a few of the X-million candlepower hand-held spotlights with internal batteries and only one was worth the bother. I gave them all away. Deficits of the cheap spotlights: nearly all had a very intense spot, nearly no flood, and a terrible spot pattern. It was just about impossible for the eyes to adjust to the spot intensity. The higher the claimed candlepower the worse the spot. Maybe OK for boating. Short run-time of 30min or so. battery wears out rather quickly. The modern LED flashlight has a reasonable and usable spot/spill combination.

Which light was worth it? I purchased it at Gander Mountain. It had a reflector with a ring of small facets about half-way up the reflector to spread the beam and give some useful flood. It actually was not bad to use. I still gave it away since the Lead-acid battery was heavy.

Comparison videos in English I am not aware of. The best video analogy would be the GoingGear flashlight comparisons where he starts out beam comparisons with a standard x-cell maglight which also gives a very tight spot and nearly no spill/flood.