L3 Illumination L10 Protected or Unprotected 14500?

izaic3

Newly Enlightened
I recently receive the L10 and am curious to try out a 14500 in it. To do this should I buy protected cells or unprotected cells? I know the pros and cons of both, I'm just wondering which would fit inside better. Thanks!

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using an AW 14500 P and it is a little long. Works fine and covers the o-ring. The AW 14500 IMR is a little shorter and also works fine. I believe the Eagletac 14500 P is a little shorter - check HKJ's reviews/site for the measurements.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Using protected Intl-outdoor 14500 cells in mine, the button top is fairly low profile so needs quite a firm turn to compress the foam ring.

markr6

Flashaholic
I think the button top is important to note. My Zebralight 14500 doesn't work in my L10. It's too long and doesn't have a button top. I wadded up a piece of aluminum foil to just to try it out, but certainly not something you would want to for normal use.

Minibear453

Newly Enlightened
Using 14500 in L3 IlluminationL10

Just wondering if it's a good idea. I know the product pages say not to do so due to heat... but supposing I didn't mind the heat.. is it safe? I'm wondering if it's more of a disclaimer to be legally safe from burns, or if there's a chance of some sort of explosion or catastrophic failure by using a 14500 battery in the flashlight. Any experiences? I'm using the 4 mode Nichia 219 one, if it makes a difference.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Using 14500 in L3 IlluminationL10

You need to be careful not to over discharge li-ion cells. The L10 does not have low voltage warning or cut off and protected cells provide this safety measure. It is important to regularly check the voltage of unprotected IMR cells. It is OK to top off the charge of li-ion cells when they get below 3.9 V - many chargers won't start charging if the V is above 3.9 V. The L10 will get hot running on H with a li-ion. Do not tail stand on H because you'll get a nasty surprise when you try to pick it up. When the L10 gets too hot, drop to M. The driver will not fry and my experience has been good. Also, a single cell application like the L10 is relatively safer than multiple cell set ups.

Etsu

Enlightened

I wouldn't use a 14500 cell, protected or not, in my L10. While supposedly it can be done, the heat and brightness will likely shorten the life of the LED, unless you just use it for brief periods. Then again, the L10 is a pretty cheap light, so it's not like taking the risk is that expensive to do.

On second thought, go for it!! :D

Oh, and use a protected cell. Don't mess with unprotected lithium-ion cells, unless the device is specifically built with battery protection in mind. (The L10 isn't, AFAIK.)

Minibear453

Newly Enlightened

So nothing's going to happen to the light right? Just uncomfortably warm/hot? Going to try it out! At least it's only $25 if anything goes wrong. I'm just more worried about something blowing up and hurting me/others.

ipig

Newly Enlightened

I'm waiting on some protected AW's myself, for my L10. Should be here Monday.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whatever you want to use in your L10, don't use a naked Sanyo 840mAh 14500 cell, since it won't work without some sort of spacer.

Chris

ipig

Newly Enlightened

Got my AW 14500's & the VP1 today. Everything working great. Pretty bright. L10 provides more than enough. AW's work fine in my generic Fordex amazon specials too. Pretty cool how far it can throw with the zoom. I might pick up another amazon special, or maybe something else with good throw too.