Nitecore SRT 7 and Motorcycle Wreck, in action

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore SRT 7 in action at a Motorcycle Wreck

Thought I'd share this story since it involved a couple of flashlights, Nightcore SRT 7 and a LED Stinger.

About a week ago myself and a friend were coming from Home Depot buying some supplies. Cashier hit the wrong button which caused a delay as the supervisor had to come over and fix problem. About 9:30pm we were out the door and on the main road in an industrial district. A couple of minutes after being on the road we approached a single motorcycle going in the opposite direction. At the exact time we were about to intersect with the motorcycle there was a very load crash. The motorcycle and driver hit the pavement right beside us and as I turned all I saw was sparks flying behind us. At first I thought he had hit out vehicle and both of us were doing around 40 mph... My buddy and I looked wide eyed at each other and said let's get this Ford F250 turned around now! I pulled out my cell phone and dialled 611, first mistake! The adrenaline was flowing and in the back of my mind I had pictures of broken bones as it was a violent crash. We both realized we needed to move to stop the motorcycle driver from getting run over by traffic as it's a long fast road and he's in somewhat of a curve. Got the county 911 on the line before we exited our vehicle after blocking traffic in the oncoming lane. As I approached the motorcycle I was shocked to see the driver stagger to his feet all while I was trying to give 911 our exact location. He said to me he thinks his collar bone is broke and his shoulder is hurt. At that moment I thought he was drunk for sure. County 911 couldn't figure out where we were so they put me on hold and transferred me to the municipal PD and the location directions started all over again as our 911 system doesn't dispatch to individual units! Hence it took a while for uniform officers and ambulance to arrive.

The flashlights came into play at this point to try and slow approaching traffic from both sides. I had three vehicles approaching fast on my side led by an 18 wheeler. I switched the Nitecore SRT 7 to the police red - blue flashing led lights and shinned it directly at the approaching vehicles. There was ambient light around from street lights and the effect on the lead 18 wheeler vehicle was nil. The 18 wheeler and two other cars blew threw the accident scene and only slowed down at the last moment as it was obvious they couldn't see what was going on. I realized quickly this wasn't going to work and adding to the danger of another accident was vehicles going around our truck that was blocking the inside lane. I switched the SRT 7 to the high-powered strobe mode and shinned it at the approaching vehicles hundreds of yards out. Within a few seconds I could see them slowing down and as they got closer I switched back to the police red - blue. All the rest of the cars slowed to a crawl and drove by. My buddy with the stinger had good luck on slowing traffic with his strobe as the cars slowed and went around our truck. Took around ten minutes or so for the first uniformed police officer to arrive as we directed traffic in the interim. I couldn't resist shinning the high powered strobe at the approaching police vehicle with his lights on at about five hundred yards. The officer was in information overload as we were in the first few minutes trying to figure out what happened till 4 other officers and medical arrived. Although both I and my buddy are reserve police officers I was curious if they on-scene officers would say anything about the police led flashlight since I didn't know any of them personally.

The officers didn't say a word about the police strobe SRT 7. We did in the end tell them we were reserves as we gave our info to them. The police strobe on the SRT 7 works if your close and slow, the xm-l2 strobe works if your fast and far away in this type of situation... Turns out the motorcycle driver was totally sober and lucky as heck to come out of the wreck as he did. There was a big gash in the full helmet he was wearing where his face would have been. Below is a picture of what he hit in the middle of the road. At the last second he said he saw the object and tried to maneuver around it but was limited due to our truck and his motorcycle converging. Kinda made me think about that couple of minute delay in the Home Depot cashier line! Later that night from the hospital the guy called both of us and thanked us for helping him which made the day!

No uniformed officers on the scene yet, driver calling his family, my buddy at the back of his vehicle slowing traffic down with a Streamlight Stinger in strobe mode. Piece of metal the motorcycle hit was a little further distance than the telephone pole and street sign are (in the street of course!)

No uniformed officers on the scene yet:

Uniformed officer on phone and someone else with driver behind him.

Piece of metal in the street the motorcycle hit: Piece of plastic from the motorcycle beside it.

This is what we all thought the piece of metal came from:

plaguem

Enlightened
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great story! Quick thinking and I'm sure the SRT7's great interface made it possible. Once again the flashlight comes to the rescue. There is a thread of flashlight stories here that this should be added to.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
That blue piece of metal is from the wheel lift of a tow truck. It's too bad it fell off at night and the cyclist couldn't see it.