Thought I broke my LD10

wjv

Enlightened
So over the labor Day weekend we took 4 days and went to the coast (WA State). We stayed at a Rodeway Inn (which I cannot recommend :( )

Anyway, I used my Fenix LD10 with a Fenix diffuser cap as a night light. I set it near the bathroom door - sink area. I the middle of the night I go up to use the bathroom and grabbed the light and set it on the edge of the tub. When I went to grab it, I instead knocked it off of the tub and on to the linoleum covered floor.

The light went out!

After picking it up I tried turning it on and it would not come back on no matter how many times I clicked the switch. Went back to bed (somewhat ticked at myself) when the LD10 started blinking. So I picked it up and tried turning it off/on/off. Again, no luck. So on a whim I decided to try a new battery and the light worked just fine! Tried the battery I took out of the LD10 in my ITP A2 and it wouldn't work in that light either!

Yup! A 12 inch fall onto a hard floor KILLED THE AA BATTERY! I should mention that the battery was new, but it was just a cheap IKEA (yellow box) battery. I guess this is yet another good reason to always carry a spare battery or two when carrying a light.

But I have to admit I never heard of anyone killing a AA battery before, just by dropping it ~12 inches. . . While it was in a flashlight.

I would be using my Sanyo re-chargeables, but I have a bunch of IKEA and Dollar Tree batteries I want to burn through first before they expire from old age. . . I got 3 weeks of daily, walk-the-dog and "around the house" type of usage from an old Dollar Tree "gold" 4/$1 battery before my LD10 started dimming and I put in the IKEA battery. Had we not been going on vacation, I probably would have used the Dollar Tree battery for another week.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep, same behavior on E11. Blinking = low battery. Haven't noticed that on TK41 though, that one just starts stepping down intensity until you only have low mode.

I've beat the crap out of my E11, it lives in my pocket except when I'm using it, seems to be a rugged little light.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I would be using my Sanyo re-chargeables, but I have a bunch of IKEA and Dollar Tree batteries I want to burn through first before they expire from old age. . . I got 3 weeks of daily, walk-the-dog and "around the house" type of usage from an old Dollar Tree "gold" 4/$1 battery before my LD10 started dimming and I put in the IKEA battery. Had we not been going on vacation, I probably would have used the Dollar Tree battery for another week.

Glad your light is OK, but please throw away the alkalines before one of them leaks and ruins your flashlight! If you already have Eneloops, it's not worth saving a couple of dollars when a $50 flashlight is at risk. Just throw them away. The fact that one of the batteries was killed by a minor drop is testament to their quality.

Remember: "Friends don't let friends use alkaleaks!" :grouphug:

markr6

Flashaholic
Ahhh the tail-standing LD10...I miss mine. Getting rid of the tail standing on many of their models is one of the worst things Fenix ever did IMO.

Good to hear it didn't break!