jay_rush

Unenlightened
just putin it out there....

2j51efo.jpg

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am thrilled!!!

:paypal:

( c'mon guyz, where's your enthusiasm? ;) )

ghodan

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore do seems to listen to comments on this forum:
1) You guys did not like the nicknames. These two have no nickname.
2) You guys wanted low mode of 1 lumen or less. These have 1 lumen low mode.

Nitecore sure has A LOT of models.
Only dedicated headlights/helmet lights and bike lights are missing.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, they have been announced on their website already and the manuals are even available.
After a first look they seem to have listened to a lot of feedback voiced on the forum. Aside from the 1-lumen low, they have:
- hidden flashing modes;
- enabled mode memory for strobe (even if hidden);
- called out the step-down (after 3 minutes) in their manual;
- introduced a crenelated bezel for the P16 - I think its their first 40mm light with a crenelated bezel.

Even though I'm not a fan of side switches and flashlights fancy electronics, I have to admit that together with the voltage reading and battery warning, they have implemented some very nice features on these lights.

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
I think nitecore is one of the most innovative flashlight companies out there and I love my two SRT3s and my SRT7 but I have to say that I don't get what's special about these new offerings. I don't see the appeal.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mode spacing in both P15 and P16, finslly they thought about. I don't like two things: side switch and long tailcap make them longer and:
- called out the step-down (after 3 minutes) in their manual;
There is 3-min. step-down in both flashlights. Even in P15 with XP-G2 driven at about 1,5A (much smaller EC2 with the same emitter can tun on turbo 10 times longer!).

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
I think nitecore is one of the most innovative flashlight companies out there and I love my two SRT3s and my SRT7 but I have to say that I don't get what's special about these new offerings. I don't see the appeal.
I cant get it either. I'm not saying these aren't special at all, just saying that it looks like any other 18650 led light.
I mean, just 960 lumens with the XM-L2? Yes it has a 1h45min runtime, which is not bad.

But after all, it looks like a good flashlight. :p

Sarlix

Enlightened
Efficiency looks good, although I'm a little sceptical after my EA1 experience.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing is special about these lights! If we think about it they are very similar to the Fenix TK15 and TK22. The Fenix TK15 has been around for nearly 3 years now!
They probably going to be a little cheaper and have a couple of new features such as low battery warning, voltage reading, memory mode on strobe, and a side switch that is probably easier to find - and which hopefully won't melt too easily!
They do have a 3-minute step-down (the Fenix have 30 and 20 minutes respectively) and a cheap clip. People looking for a flashlight in this category might be interested in these models and the new features they offer!

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing is special about these lights! If we think about it they are very similar to the Fenix TK15 and TK22. The Fenix TK15 has been around for nearly 3 years now!

Is it constant, flat output for the 5.5 hours on the p16?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
They probably going to be a little cheaper and have a couple of new features such as low battery warning, voltage reading, memory mode on strobe, and a side switch that is probably easier to find - and which hopefully won't melt too easily!
They do have a 3-minute step-down (the Fenix have 30 and 20 minutes respectively) and a cheap clip. People looking for a flashlight in this category might be interested in these models and the new features they offer!

The TK's max is lower than what the P16 would step down TO though, for example, so its not apples and apples exactly.

:D

After a while, its hard to make a flashlight that doesn't look or work like other flashlights, and still have people recognize them as flashlights/know how to use them, etc.

Lights like the Spy with the cells in a barrel next to the lens barrel, the HF's with the rotary tail cap controls, etc...can make a feature that works and makes sense, etc....but if you need a tactical light....the switch has to go on the side...and side switches have been around since the 1890's or so...as that's where MOST people instinctively hold a light and find it convenient, etc.

After that...how many ways ARE there to be different in a meaningful way?

The progress is incremental, and, they are definitely trying at least to make improvements...but, its obviously a slow slog.

Colors seem to be a good way to go for some...as long as the switch glows to indicate the charge...it can have a rainbow spectrum to tell you the levels w/o having to count blinks....or an OLEAD screen, a la TM26, as the switch, etc.

So, they're all essentially just tubes with cells in them and light comes out the front...after that, the changes are incremental.

:D

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
I'd be interested in reading a thorough review, with beam shots, on the P16 (I have the P25, and the EA4). I like the bezel on the P16 (as opposed to the flat bezel of the P25). The step-down after only three minutes (?) is kind of a turn-off, but not a deal-breaker. I suppose that would seem somewhat similar to the EA4. The overall run time seems impressive, for a single 18650 light with this kind of output.

I own numerous XM-L T6 lights, but have yet to own an XM-L2 version. Can anyone comment on the tint, compared to the previous generation XM-L T6? Has anyone picked one up. If so, would you so kind as to post some beam shots, along with your comments on the light?

I also own Fenix's TK15 (S2), and TK22, and wonder how the beam compares, between the P16, and these two. Thus far, I've been favorably impressed with Nitecore lights (in spite of the side switch "bubble" issue with the EA4, that people keep commenting on. I haven't had any issues with mine).

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I like the XML2's so far that I have...for the bins, the tints seem pretty comparable...but you can get more lumens for any given tint...or get a T6 XML2 and have it rival your XML U3's output but with warmer lumens, etc

david57strat

Enlightened
I like the XML2's so far that I have...for the bins, the tints seem pretty comparable...but you can get more lumens for any given tint...or get a T6 XML2 and have it rival your XML U3's output but with warmer lumens, etc

Good to know. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!