Can i run a light on 300-400milliVolts???

L

LiellPlane

Hey im new to this thing so YO

Wanna hook a light (probably LED) to a guitar pickup output, with a current being induced via rotating magnetic disc

Is this possible??> I can figure out the electronic logistics myself eventually but dont know if anything can be run visibly or at all this low.... Whats the best thign i can get

Thanks in advance

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the best place for this question would be the modders forum.

However I'm going to say no, not directly from the pickup. Voltage is way too low and current is probibly even lower.

Now you could hook up an amplifying circuit to the pickup, that might be able to drive an LED. LED's need a mimimun voltage to light up. This is known as their Vf or forward voltage and a minimum amount of current too. The voltage for LED's depend on their color but if I remember correctly colors like red, orange, yellow need a little less than 3 volts, white, blue need a little less than 4 volts.

GregR

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would need to use a Omp-Amp since that voltage is even too low to saturate the gate of a transistor or even a FET

Its a very simple circuit, very few parts

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, wondered when you'd appear!

I'd go with what Mike and Greg have said. You're going to have to use an amplifier of some description. Not 100% sure of what type of wiring diagrams, but that certainly seems the way to go.

MIGHT, I stress MIGHT be possible to do it with a simple transistor driven circuit if you worked in a pull-up resistor on the input side of things, but I reckon that the problem then would be getting the darn thing to stay OFF when it's meant to be rather than getting it to light, as it'd have to have a pretty high gain!

*goes to get notes from yesterday's analog electronics class* Well, we were managing to get 2.8V out, from a 20mV input...so yes, I reckon it can be done if you think about it long enough!

markus_i

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LiellPlane said:
Hey im new to this thing so YO

Wanna hook a light (probably LED) to a guitar pickup output, with a current being induced via rotating magnetic disc
Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if I understand you correctly, your setup is:
- rotating magnetic disc
- close to
- a guitar pickup?

Have you measured output parameters (voltage _and_ current for open contacts, matched impedance and short circuit)?
If there is enough power in the system to light up a LED (let's use a high efficiency red, we'll need about 1 mW), yes, you can do it. Depending on your parameters, you might be able to connect the LED directly to the pickup or need an additional transformer. If not, you'll need an additional power supply and some electronics.

Bye
Markus