Maratac AA rev 3 blows out lens

whill44

Enlightened
Okay, maybe someone on this great forum can steer me in the right direction. This is the email I sent to county com that explains my problem.

Hi Mike,
I writing to you about a flashlight I bought on Jun. 29, 2013. It's one of two purchased that day. The AA polished stainless. On friday the 30th I was riding home in my truck when I felt & heard a pop in my pocket. The lens had shattered. There was nothing else in my pocket. The light was not on as far as I could tell. The battery was a eneloop still in good condition and in fact the light works fine but no lens. I have no explanation for why this happened. I have no way to fix this so I need to know if you will repair or exchange it.
Thank you..
William

This is his reply,

Rule #12. Reposting Private Communications - Norm

Sorry about the rule breakage. But the rest of my post was his reference to out gassing with no help forth coming. And my request for any info on a replacement lens that I could install myself. For the record I'm not bashing cc I just want to try to fix my $40+ light.

OK then. I guessing from his clipped response no repair or replacement. Does anyone know what size lens would fit and where I might be able to purchase one. If I can find one I'll try fixing it myself.

Thank you in advance for your time, William

Last edited by a moderator:

ragweed

Enlightened
I stay clear of CC. The main reason is the shipping is outrageous. I feel sorry for your lack of response from CC.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
This is a little concerning..i have the same light on its way. Along with the aaa model. Id be curious to know what they said as it doesnt sound like negligence.

Tesla

Enlightened
I agree with RedForest, this sounds like a venting battery. I've experienced the phenomena with my CMG Infinity (it has no glass lens, but made turning the head more difficult until pressure was released), but it can happen with any well sealed light, particularly smaller ones. I understand some tightly sealed dive lights have capsules in them to alleviate this issue. It may be an issue that's more properly addressed to the battery maker.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well this just plain sucks!

The only time I ordered from CC I had trouble with the order and never got any satisfaction from them.

I vowed to never buy from them again but then.......just Today received the order I placed last week in a moment of weakness.
Of course there was a SS AA Rev3 in it too!
I also got the D cell TLL which is very interesting and also a radio.I just lost my mind I suppose?

Well I will have to see if there is joy or sadness as this goes forward and I hope you get the problem taken care of.
It is also tough to comprehend fully what they said obviously but I take it it was not that you should not worry,they will take care of it?!?

Ed

whill44

Enlightened
This is a little concerning..i have the same light on its way. Along with the aaa model. Id be curious to know what they said as it doesnt sound like negligence.

I have no reason to believe you light would suffer the same problem. I stand by their aaa lights as one of the best pocket models out there.

Theron

Newly Enlightened
Glad the outrageous shipping stopped me from ordering a few lights there.

MBI Torpedo will be better anyways.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
well. Keep us posted if they make it right for you! Looking forward to getting mine. How do you like it otherwise? How does the AA compare to the aaa?

whill44

Enlightened
well. Keep us posted if they make it right for you! Looking forward to getting mine. How do you like it otherwise? How does the AA compare to the aaa?

In comparison to the rev1 AA that I gave to a co worker it seemed less bright. The rev1 had a tighter hot spot. This is in fact my third AA in about 5 years or so and most likely my last. I had a lot of trouble with the first one which cc replace with no problem. Eventually it was given to another in need of a good flashlight. Since cc isn't stepping up to solve the problem this time I'm on the hunt for a lens replacement. In my opinion the AAA is the way to go and is my most carried light. Ironically I just recived and order from cc for three of the AAA rev3, one to test and the others for my brothers trucking friends.

whill44

Enlightened
Ok, I may have found my lens, ironically the web site is called flashlightlens.com. Their not what I'd call cheap but if you need a lens I bet you can find it on the site.

whill44

Enlightened
Did CountyComm at least tell you the size of the lens?

I didn't ask. I was offered no help at all. He made the statement that even surefire lens had failed due to battery out gassing. I assume they consider it a battery problem and not a flashlight failure. I've moved on. However due to the amount of money I've spent over the last 5 years or so for merchandise and shipping, I think I'll take a break for the next year or two. I'm sure they call me by the end of the week begging me to come back.:whistle:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something tells me they also have no parts at all though they claim to manufacture the lights too?

I am always amazed at the lack of customer service that some companies maintain.

I think I got lucky this time and all 3 items I ordered made the journey somehow but as an example CC for some reason will just not ship anything inside an outer box,ever?

My recent order was wrapped and wrapped over in bubble wrap shipping envelopes and the entire package was 3 times bigger than needed if only they had used a box!
Also a box would prevent crushing but instead all 3 wrapped parts were mushed inside the soft packing.

Give me a break!
The shipping is high and the packing is terrible!

I haven't decided how I feel about the products yet.

Ed

whill44

Enlightened
Update.
I received my new lens and started to remove the pill from the head. I was using the heating trick posted from a member on this forum. I managed to remove the driver board without damage, but the aluminum heat sink with the led is stuck fast. I've heated and chilled with no success. I've now damaged the two wire holes leading to the led in my last attempt. So for now I'm shelving this project until later. Even though this repair is a failure I wouldn't have been able to even try without this forum.

Thank you each and every one.
William

Glynnbebee

Newly Enlightened
Glad I found this thread. A few weeks ago a Maratac AAA Rev3 popped in my pocket, blowing out the lens. I had no idea why? Now I know. It was a cheap grocery store battery, I guess.

Was bummed until I used the event as an excuse to dedome the XPG2 R5 LED and drop in a 10440. Compared to another stock Rev3 I have, it is quite a difference.

Will check out flashlightlens.com. Thanks.