Flashlight Bulbs and License Plate Numbers

ericjohn

Enlightened
Here's a quick thought that I have been thinking for a while:

So; most people like to point out comical license plates when they are traveling up and down the highways and by ways. NOW; I have an idea about some license plate numbers that I (and anyone else who enjoys flashlights) would be amused by. The rest of you would probably not get it. In Louisiana, most of the vehicle plates consist of 3 letters and three numbers. So do some models of flashlight bulbs. I will attempt to list all of the bulb model numbers that could also be for license plate. In case you are someone out there who may enjoy flashlights, please take the time to read this:

KPR102
KPR103
KPR104
KPR113
KPR118
XPR102
XPR103
XPR104
XPR113
XPR118

There may be others; but these are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Explanation of the letters:
Model numbers beginning with the letter indicate that the bulb is filled with Krypton Gas. Models beginning with X mean that the bulb is filled with Xenon Gas. The letters PR indicate that it is a PR bulb. PR stands for either Parabolic Reflector or PRefocused; maybe both. PR bulbs (AKA Miniature) are probably the most common type of flashlight bulb. The last two digits in the model numbers indicate what type of battery(ies) they are designed for. 02=2 D cells, 03=3 D cells, 04=2 AA cells or 2 C cells, 13=4 D cells or 1 6 Volt Lantern Battery and 18=6 D cells. Now you know what replacement bulb to order when your current one burns out. By the way; if your flashlight suddenly stops working, even with new batteries, it means your bulb is burned out. This problem is easily solved by taking a trip to either Lowe's, Sears, Home Depot or Radio Shack. Some of your grocery stores sell these bulbs as well.

Sadly, these bulbs are getting exponentially less common as the transition to LED is gaining exponential momentum. I only pray that there will be at least a remnant of PR bulb manufacuring. My reasoning behind that is: In the event of an EMP attack; LED lights will be ruined, whereas incandescent lights will continue to function. The power grid will more than likely fail, as well. How will one be able to see at night or in dark buildings? I actually had a dream about that once, but that is a whole other story. Oh look I have gone off on a tangent, but I hope I have at least been amusing and informative. Now, the next time you are driving or riding; take note of the license plates (only if if this sort of thing interests you.)

Targaryen

Newly Enlightened
I live in Australia where the state I live in also has three alphabetics and three numericals.

Will keep an eye on above plates or flashlight models.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Nice thought but I think it's a bit obscure for the majority of flashaholics, if you have three alphabetics, would XPG and XML be possible partial combinations?

w.r.t EMP- Can you not just put flashlights in a faraday cage?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Here's a quick thought that I have been thinking for a while:

So; most people like to point out comical license plates when they are traveling up and down the highways and by ways. NOW; I have an idea about some license plate numbers that I (and anyone else who enjoys flashlights) would be amused by. The rest of you would probably not get it. In Louisiana, most of the vehicle plates consist of 3 letters and three numbers. So do some models of flashlight bulbs. I will attempt to list all of the bulb model numbers that could also be for license plate. In case you are someone out there who may enjoy flashlights, please take the time to read this:

KPR102
KPR103
KPR104
KPR113
KPR118
XPR102
XPR103
XPR104
XPR113
XPR118

There may be others; but these are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Explanation of the letters:
Model numbers beginning with the letter indicate that the bulb is filled with Krypton Gas. Models beginning with X mean that the bulb is filled with Xenon Gas. The letters PR indicate that it is a PR bulb. PR stands for either Parabolic Reflector or PRefocused; maybe both. PR bulbs (AKA Miniature) are probably the most common type of flashlight bulb. The last two digits in the model numbers indicate what type of battery(ies) they are designed for. 02=2 D cells, 03=3 D cells, 04=2 AA cells or 2 C cells, 13=4 D cells or 1 6 Volt Lantern Battery and 18=6 D cells. Now you know what replacement bulb to order when your current one burns out. By the way; if your flashlight suddenly stops working, even with new batteries, it means your bulb is burned out. This problem is easily solved by taking a trip to either Lowe's, Sears, Home Depot or Radio Shack. Some of your grocery stores sell these bulbs as well.

Sadly, these bulbs are getting exponentially less common as the transition to LED is gaining exponential momentum. I only pray that there will be at least a remnant of PR bulb manufacuring. My reasoning behind that is: In the event of an EMP attack; LED lights will be ruined, whereas incandescent lights will continue to function. The power grid will more than likely fail, as well. How will one be able to see at night or in dark buildings? I actually had a dream about that once, but that is a whole other story. Oh look I have gone off on a tangent, but I hope I have at least been amusing and informative. Now, the next time you are driving or riding; take note of the license plates (only if if this sort of thing interests you.)

Your idea is correct about the EMP....we use tubes instead of transistors in some sensitive military applications for exactly that reason.