5 Watt Turbohead Module (warning, lots of pics)

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been playing with a 5 watt turbohead drop-in module made by a fellow CPF member for a few weeks and the results are very impressive indeed. So impressive in fact, i decided that i needed to write this post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

First, a picture of the module itself, with the MN lamp assembley
fa672e58.jpg

Zoom

I needed a very good flashlight to compare this against, so the natural choice was my McGizmo X3T-PR.
fa672e5d.jpg

Zoom
Not exactly a fair contest given the size difference between the 2 lights, but as i dont yet have a KL6, this was the best i could come up with.
Vital statistics : PR-X3T driven by a BadBoy750, 5 watt module is a W5* driven by a DownBoy 833
Beamshots were taken with the lights approximately 3-4 metres away from the target (the corner of my room). Camera settings were the same for both shots. First up, the PR-X3T :
fa672e70.jpg

Zoom

Now the 5 watt Turbohead M4 :
fa672e63.jpg

Zoom
Not very scientific or precise, but it gives you the general idea.
Only problem is, the drop-in module was designed to use the reflector as a heatsink, and the KT4 being shock isolated also makes it thermally isolated. Longest ive dared to run it has been 10 minutes. The Flashlight bezel and body don't get warm at all, but taking it apart, the reflector is very toasty. It would be a lot better thermally in a Turbohead without the shock isolation.
So...anyone with an SRTH they want to part with?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

belyo

Newly Enlightened
I have another one.

M3TUV_01.jpg

W5V 5w Emitter
Downboy833

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
VERY nice guys.
I have been wanting to do a 5W turbohead for a while. But I cant seem to find a... cheap, turbo head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I just made my own PR Mclux X3T DB750 last night!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif One amazing light !

Next, will be a LuxIII PR Mclux. That should throw alot better. But I still want to do one of these turbos.

On a side note, anyone know of one of those cheap 6V lantern batt spotlights thats reflector is worthy of a 5W?
I was thinking of sticking 4 to 6 C or D cells in one with a 5W and DB converter. But I dont know if any of there reflectors will give me a tight beam.

Again, nice work on those turbos, those look SWEET! How about a couple outside shots, comparing the PR X3T and the 5W turbo?

Katokichi

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: 5 Watt Turbohead Module (warning, lots of pics

The Space Needle II (Maglite conversion) has been one of the LED throw champions around here for quite a while. So the Mag reflector does pretty well at focusing the beam.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
Re: 5 Watt Turbohead Module (warning, lots of pics

Whoa!

Gotta get me one of those!

Help?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT