Votes: 1 1.0%
  • CR2

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your favorite light format? Mine personally would be the 1 x 18650 format, just the average ones not the particularly compact ones necessarily. Here is my trio of my most used 1 x 18650 lights:

Armytek Predator 2.5
Shiningbeam Blaze
Solarforce L2T with vinh 4000K XP-E2

I find that format is just the perfect size for jacket pocket carry so it is my go-to type of light for a night hike or any activity where I know I will need a light and it will be in my hand more than my pocket. It is also the perfect size to hold in the hand securely and a typical reflector size for that format allows potential for a good amount of throw. Not to mention, 1x18650 seems to be a real sweet spot in terms of performance/size.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 x 18650 agree - mine are a little smaller though.

Zebralight SC600w

Moddolar Pocket rocket stubby (triple)

Also recently resurrected a custom from Sabrewolf - 18650 MCE(warm) with L/H and lit tailcap (great for finding in a dark bag).

Also - Dark Sucks Alpha MCE (w)

Kokopelli

Enlightened
I find 1xAA lights very useful as EDC lights in city. You mostly need just a little lumens for indoors and AA can supply a 30 lumen light for hours and hours.

But still, AA format is usually too small for comfortable hand hold, put into your shoulder bag, or for those burst times you may need in special occasions. 2XAA format is too long, 18650 format is usually a little bit fat. I find 2xCR123 format to be ideal in length, width and power, like Olight T20.

18650 has the advantage in power, nevertheless.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find 1xAA lights very useful as EDC lights in city. You mostly need just a little lumens for indoors and AA can supply a 30 lumen light for hours and hours.

But still, AA format is usually too small for comfortable hand hold, put into your shoulder bag, or for those burst times you may need in special occasions.

I feel exactly the same, I've got 2 1xAA lights I enjoy alot (a Zebralight SC52 and Quark AA-T). 1xAA is perfect for pocket carry, any larger and it gets harder for me to justify pocket carrying it in jeans. However, that same advantage makes it not as ideal for extended use. Which is why I'll always try to bring an 18650 light even if the power or runtime is not an issue if I know it'll spend most of the time in my hand, its just plain more comfortable to me. It all comes down to that ratio of how much time I'll be using it versus carrying it . I take the 18650 lights when I'm doing a dedicated task in the dark, 1xAA for EDC may very well not get used all day, but I'll need it carry it and not be annoyed so it has to be small.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I like the capacity of the 18650, and the body style of the slightly smaller than P60 host, such as the:
Eagletac D25C2
Thrunite Neutron 2C (if only it was an 18650)
Niteye MSC20
Solarforce T1

any of those lights run the gamut of bright enough, to too bright for most tasks around the house, and walking a path, yet are small enough to be pocketable. They're too big as an EDC unless your job requires it, but they are not THAT much bigger than most single CR123 lights.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it really depends on what I'm using the light for. As a EDC I really like the single 16340-format but lately getting to like the AA-format. Those two just fit right next to my wallet in my pocket. But I also like the 18650-format because of its capacity-to-size ratio. All in all I have to say that I don't like flashlights with multiple batteries (my Maglites as an exception ;)).

rayman

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Single 18650 for me as well. I have a couple 4x18650 lights for serious outdoor use, and of course a few keychain lights, but just about everything else is a single 18650. Feel great in the hand, and unbelievable brightness AND runtimes from such a compact package.

My most used light right now is my Eagletac G25C2 Mk II, with the flip-up diffuser. Gives me almost instant access to a true thrower, and a very floody beam, perfect for indoor use. I wish more companies would start making this type of diffuser available - it is definitely BY FAR the best solution I have come across for versatility without having to carry around extra components. I actually strongly dislike the UI on this light (have always disliked twisties), but the diffuser is so good that I can't help but pick it up anyway. I just leave it on the same mode, and enjoy the wall of light.

Etsu

Enlightened
Obviously depends on the task, but my favorite format over the years has always been the 2xAA. Small enough to easily fit in a coat pocket or a belt clip, lightweight, but big and solid enough to hold on to and operate easily. Also gives reasonable run-times. I've liked that format right back to the old incandescent mini-maglite.

Second favorite is the 1xAAA format, simply for the small size that makes it really easy to carry almost anywhere.

makapuu

Enlightened
18650 or 26650 because I like the runtime and higher amperage they put out. Some of my friends like 14500 or 123 sizes because of the ultra compact size of the light. That's OK too, I won't argue their point. I recently got a Eagletac SX25L3 MT-G2 light that I feel is very small for a triple 18650 light. But this thing can sure pump out a wall of light. You can't even tell I'm carrying the light on me if I'm wearing dress pants or especially cargo shorts.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
For general use, I like the 2x123/1x18650 format. For EDC, I prefer my 1x123 twisty.

For me, it is a Surefire C2 and Foursevens Quark Mini123

Kokopelli

Enlightened
For an EDC light..2 AAA.

I love my Preon 2 Ti.

(So small,I usually don't even know it's there.)

Funny, I choose 2xAAA Maglite Penlight over 2xAA Maglite Pro Led. 2xAAA is a small enough, more powerful than 1xAAA but powerless enough not to get warm. They also make good EDC lights as you can just clip them in your pocket, bag like a regular pen.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I'm torn between 18650 and 1*AA format. If I had to choose ONLY 1, then it would be AA.

A poll would be good on this thread.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650. Power, size and weight can't be beat. AA format is ok but it seems the batteries would die out on me and need to be changed. Only happens once and a while with 18650 batteries. 1 18650 = 3 AA batteries.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
My most used light right now is my Eagletac G25C2 Mk II, with the flip-up diffuser. Gives me almost instant access to a true thrower, and a very floody beam, perfect for indoor use. I wish more companies would start making this type of diffuser available - it is definitely BY FAR the best solution I have come across for versatility without having to carry around extra components. I actually strongly dislike the UI on this light (have always disliked twisties), but the diffuser is so good that I can't help but pick it up anyway. I just leave it on the same mode, and enjoy the wall of light.

I agree with you. Only have a few 18650 lights but my G25C2 Mk 1 has got to be the most versatile light I own. I just received the diffuser a few days back and now this light could really cover almost all of my needs. But, it is just too big for EDC use.......

My current favorite formats are CR123 (16340/18350 compatible) and AAA.
With a CR123 format I can easily get up to 200 lumens with great runtime on lower settings in a generally compact light. Add 18350 compatibility to that and you have closer to 500 lumen bursts with great runtime for a rechargeable cell.
The AAA format is my personal favorite for EDC carry. Generally covers 99% of the uses I encounter in a day.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650. Power, size and weight can't be beat. AA format is ok but it seems the batteries would die out on me and need to be changed. Only happens once and a while with 18650 batteries. 1 18650 = 3 AA batteries.

Actually almost more like 5AA with the new 3400 mAh cells :)

I added a poll, I realize there is a little overlap between 2 x CR123 and 1 x 18650 but wanted to be able to designate separate since some lights (like Quarks) can take 2 123s but not an 18650.

Latest posts