Dissembling malkoff md2 head ring

american

Enlightened
I'd like to remove the p60. I have snap ring pliers to go in the slots but its not budgeing do I have to depress that pin thing too?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing to depress, it just needs to be turned to screw it out of the head. If it's in a turn-key MD2 it may require a good grip and some muscle as it might have a little thread locker on the threads.

Norm

Retired Administrator
No, just twist.

I've had some that were very tight, requiring me to hold the in the vice with suitable protection.

Malkoff also sell a special tool to fit the rings.

EDIT:

There is nothing to depress, it just needs to be turned to screw it out of the head. If it's in a turn-key MD2 it may require a good grip and some muscle as it might have a little thread locker on the threads.

There is no thread locker.

Norm

cubebike

Enlightened
I have emailed Gene regarding how to remove the Hi Lo ring. Gene said all the Hi Lo ring now has thread lock and required to use the special tool they sold to turn it open. I had one MD2 head that had some blemishes and i asked one of the dealer to send me a replacement head. He could not open the hi lo ring and in fact he damaged 2 heads coating while he was trying to open the head. I emailed Gene afterward and he said they are now with thread lock.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I have emailed Gene regarding how to remove the Hi Lo ring. Gene said all the Hi Lo ring now has thread lock and required to use the special tool they sold to turn it open.
That's a backward step in a light that is supposed to be modular, why would it need thread locker?

Norm

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can speculate here. I only recently got the Malkoff tool. Before that I just used some pliers.
I found my high lo ring tended to come lose.
After this happened a few times I used more force when tightening and it stayed secure.

I can see how the amount of force required could be considered high enough for threadlocker to be used as alternative.
I assume not as permanent threadlocker as surefire uses..

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the Malkoff tool recently, too. I couldn't get enough forch with pliers. I didn't realize the problem was thread lock. I just thought I needed more spinach in my diet. The tool works well, but it is disappointing if they now use thread locker.

Tracker II

Enlightened
I actually had both nubs on the special tool shear off trying to remove the h/l ring from a light I bought a year ago. I eventually got it off using the pliers on a Gerber multi-tool and a pair of vice grips, but not without badly marring the head (I wrapped a dish towel around the head twice first but the grips still marred the head).

I now buy everything separately. It may cost a bit more but it's well worth it to have the lego option. I now get it in there pretty good with the replacement special too I bought as it stays tight but can be removed.

Redhat703

Enlightened
This is how I got mine done:

file_zps7a5ddaf8.jpg

file_zps43555981.jpg

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I have also had luck with the tips of the pliers in my (SOG) multi-tool. It stinks there is thread locker in there now, but I can understand if it is being sold to a non-flashaholic crowd.

american

Enlightened
Ok guys just got mine out it took a vice with leather glove in it and snap ring pliers ( they looked like they were gonna bend) I don't see any loctite but it feels alittle sticky

Tracker II

Enlightened
Does anybody know how tight to put it back in does it strip easily?

I don't think you have to worry about stripping the threads. The bigger danger, if you are not using the official tool, is to have your pliers slip causing you to scratch or make gouges in the brass ring.

If you play around with it, changing drop-ins or doing the same one once in a while, you can get a good feel on how tight to tighten it. Kind of like screwing a nozzle on a garden hose - you can feel when it's snugged in, so no need to add brute force.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not completely surprised for Gene to begin using LocTite. I always tighten mine down pretty tightly, with a screwdriver or similar object through the tool for additional leverage, and they eventually work themselves loose enough to be easily removed without a screwdriver.

I plan to up the torque on all of them during my next serious swap session.

Grizz

Norm

Retired Administrator
I use snap ring pliers like these

9710853047_fcc13d87fa.jpg

I never had a problem with a ring coming lose.

Norm

Gene43

Enlightened
We don't use any thread locker. We did use some for about month over a year ago. Stopped over a year ago due to complaints.

Gene

Norm

Retired Administrator
We don't use any thread locker. We did use some for about month over a year ago. Stopped over a year ago due to complaints.

Gene
Thanks for the reply Gene. Glad I was correct in what I said in post #3 :thumbsup:

Norm