Dimensional question on 6P-sized custom body project

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,
I'm working on a custom flashlight project, and have come across something worrisome. It looks to me like the body will be .02" thick in a couple places. I'm using 6061-T6. At the tail, right where the threading stops, and where the gasket goes is pretty thin. I'm figuring on boring the inside to .734" (18.65mm). This won't leave much for strength. Will this be the first place the light breaks?

DWG #1, an overall (not all dimensions shown of course)
DWGME01.jpg

DWG #2, a tail closeup
Grey line is the interior boring at .734"
Green linetype is the bottom of the threads/ gasket pocket at .755"
Dashed Green linetype is the 18650 I'm patterning this from (a Zebralight ZL631 protected)
DWGME02.jpg

It seems too thin. Is this an area of concern, or will the aluminum hold up during normal wear? I intend on using this/ these lights, so I'd like them tough.
For the record, I've access to a full machine shop, everything except a radially-indexing head for the DRO CNC.

Thanks for your input on my first manufacturing project!
~Daniel

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
0.02" or 0.5mm....waaaay too thin. What tail cap and head are you using? Is this going to be Z44(?) compatible?

I'd move this over to the machining sub-forum as well by the way. I'm sure a mod will move it soon...

- Matt

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't know there was a sub forum like that. Where is it?
Yes, surefire compatible. I'll probably use solarforce bezel & tails. Have some incoming to test.

S4 via T4

Latest posts