SF e1b durability

ico

Enlightened
I'm just wondering how long did your e1b last or most likely how long has your e1b been running up to now? I just want to ask since one came up here in my place and is priced just lower than the new ones offered in cpfm. I would love to get a new one in cpfm but the international shipping is a PITA so I'm stuck with trying to find a cheaper one from where I'm from.

The difference now is the one being sold here was a user for about 2+ years I guess. A lot of scratch marks here and there(so I'm assuming some falls/drops had happened to it as well) so I'm wondering if I would still be using this, should I buy it, for years to come or it just might suddenly die on me. :confused:

creyc

Enlightened
I HIGHLY doubt you'll kill the Surefire with a few scratches here and there, the E1B is a tough little light and meant to be used. If you don't mind the cosmetics of a well used light and just want something functional, you'd be hard pressed to find a better light to buy used especially if the price is right.

And if down the road it does stop working their lights are backed by a lifetime warranty program thats one of the best of any warranty programs I've ever seen.

Last edited:

WDR65

Enlightened
Mine was my edc for about four years and it showed it. I think I've had mine now since 2008, the beginning of 2008 IIRC. It shows its wear and tear but still works just fine. Probably one of my favorite lights ever at this point.

I'd say go for it. If something breaks the warranty will back it up.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have a few of these, and use them specifically because of their durability :D

One of 'em (from CPFMP) looks really beat up, heavy scratches, etc .... Never had a problem with it yet :thumbsup:

Last edited:

gsr

Enlightened
The most fragile part of an E1B is the pocket clip. The light itself is tough as nails.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive beaten up my E2DL for about 4 years now without problems. i also have other E-series lights with the same head design.
all the components in the head are very secure. if you look at an e1b head opened up, you will realize why many regard surefires as more durable.
chances that the switch failing first are much greater i think. but switches are easily replaceable. i immediately replace the tailcap on my E1L with a McTC and McClicky switch. A Z68 tailcap is another nice option

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I had a daily user E1B that got kicked around quite a bit and is still going strong. You have to look closely to see all of the wear because it is silver. ;)

ASheep

Enlightened
I remember reading a thread a few years ago where a paramedic's E1B was reversed over by an ambulance and still worked fine. There was another guy whose wife accidentally dropped an E1L into the sink garbage disposal, and although the light had huge cuts in the body and a smashed optic, it still turned on.
I don't think you have to worry about a few scratches on a second hand one. It will last for ages. My E1e is a beater light, most of the anodising is missing from the body, and the knurling is worn smooth in places, but it keeps on trucking.

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited:

ico

Enlightened
Not even one disagrees eh? You got me guys. I'll be getting it then! :sssh:

I know surefire has superb warranty, though I don't think it can cover here and even the shipping would hurt my pockets. Either way you all seem to prove that this will still last for a long time. Time to contact the seller now. Thanks guys!

davyro

Enlightened
I've an e1b & i use it every day,i have a rotation with all my other lights but the one light that i always have & use every day is my e1b i suppose the other light i have with me is the back up light to my Surefire back up if that makes sense.Anyways in my opinion you can't go wrong with this great little light.I work in construction & my light gets some rough treatment every now & then but it's never gave me any bother at all.:twothumbs

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using my Surefire E1b for years without any problems. My switch eventually gave up, but SF sent me free tailcap.