Does Anyone Still Use Incandescent?

pal251

Newly Enlightened
I am and I plan to for quite a while. Why spend 100 dollars or so for a light that has the same brightness of my g2?

TrevorG

Newly Enlightened
I am, I still prefer the intense hot spot for my lights that stay with the firearms. There are a few exceptions...
For example, I have an L4 that stays with my "nightstand" pistol for indoor use. I love the LED's for utility lights and I think in the not too distant future I will be able to replace the incandescents with LED's across the board.

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
My primary duty flashlight remains a Surefire G2Z, with a A2 carried for backup, and a Stinger in the car.

electrothump

Enlightened
It's still hard to beat the little UKE 2-AAA pocket light. I've used them for about three years now. I haven't tried the LED version of this light yet.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Tigerlight bedside & to use for walk between house & garage.
G2 and new Tigerlight in the car.
8nx in my coat

The LSH-P in my pocket gets used many times each day, but it's far from bright enough even to do the nightly light up the yard & hunt for the left-out toys.

Or... maybe I just need to ask for a 5-Watter for XMas??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
My main EDC is a Princeton Tec Blast. It's just about perfect. It's slim (doesn't bulge in pocket), runs fine on two rechargeable AAA's for low running costs, has a pocket clip so it rides on top of my pocket, the pocket clip doubles as a hat/clothing clip for handsfree operation, and because of its plastic body it weighs noticably less than an Arc LS. Plus it cost under 10 bucks so I don't get too upset if I lose it.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i still use incans.. but i'm slowly losing my taste for them..

my main things is runtime..

i don't own any super-bright lights 'cause i haven't really had much need for them.. in fact my brightest light is the Legend LX..

i used to use my PT40 for all things i did around the building, such as taking the trash out after dark, going to the car for things, just taking a walk to relax..
i now use my Sreamlight 3AA Luxeon.. it's been great, and i haven't needed to change the batteries in the same time that i would've changed my PT40's batteries twice..

so. runtime. yeehaw.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think one day the LED's may surpass the light intensity of the traditional incadescent however I think that technology is probably two or three years down the road yet. I will stick with my incadescents for now. I do own the TT-3C and probably use the LED's in that torch more so than the incadescent but that light is just used around the house/garage as a utility light...

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own only 1 incandescent light that hasn't been consigned to the future mod box. Thats a Brinkman LX modified with a SureFire P61 bulb and a piece of wonderful almost invisible glass from flashlightlens.com /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There is a place for the ludicrously bright, high class regular bulb. But anything less than a P61 is better in an LED /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still haven't found an led that I am hapy with. They all seem to have a very flat light to me. If there is something that over comes this I would love to hear about it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I use my SL35X, with dimmer control, when I hear serious noise outside. Extremely bright with decent side light, and oh yes, it is long and heavy. Otherwise I use my Elektrolumens Tri-Star for less serious outside purposes. Wife uses a Stinger HP nightly. I use SL15X with modded LA (UltraStinger bulb) for throw. I am playing with a Mag 4D that will house a
high intensity bulb and an orange peel reflector, both from Carly. All of my lights get used, led and incandescent.

Bill

richpalm

Banned
Sure do... still a sucker for long throw incans. M3 is an EDC at work. And nothing beats the 10X. When LED's can do that, I'll really be happy! Plus the Vector spotlights for the fun factor.

But.... for most tasks my LSH gets used more than anything and I have a McLux 'sub addiction' along with flashaholism! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rich

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still using LED's 50% and Incandescents 50%

Not there yet. I'm not going to toss my incandescents, especially after just having bought a SF M3 this morning.

GregR

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Yes. I EDC the ARC LSH-P,ARC AAA, Surefire A2.
Tactical lights are Surefire M3 & M6. Each car has a G2. The lights I use the most are LEDs, but I still use incandescent lights too.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pal251 said:
I am and I plan to for quite a while. Why spend 100 dollars or so for a light that has the same brightness of my g2?

[/ QUOTE ] Because the L4 is regulated, white daylilght in color, clickie, pocket clip and drops into moon mode instead of fading to nothing.

nascar, my EDC is an L4 but I use a twin task in the house and my truck will eventually carry an SL20x.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lot's of serious thinking here. Number one here is that LED's are a good way off from throwing as far as incandescents. Most folks will say an incandescent LA won't last as long as an LED. I know that's true but I want to say I have used incandescent LA's for an incredibly long time and have NEVER had one blow out except for an early, original 9N bulb that Surefire admitted to that they had a bad batch. I think the difference is that LED lights give better cell life than incandescents and they are whiter. Incandescents though will have their place for a long time to come.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
My carry varies based on what time of day it is. I prefer incandescents for daytime as there's no LED's that quite meet the throw and brightness of an M3T or M6. When it's getting dark, I like the LED's because they generally have a larger, softer hot spot and nice even side spill, but if I need to see something further than 50 yards, It's gotta be Xenon.