Help me choose the right light

bigred

Newly Enlightened
Ok flashlight gurus, I hope I don't seem like a pest with all my questions, but this site really is helpful and unlike any other on the net. I had inquired about getting a Tigerlight in an earlier post and after much deliberation, have decided that it (along with most rechargeables) is just too big and bright for my needs. Here's what I need. A light about the size of a G2 Nitrolon, that is a little brighter and a little further throwing. Can be powered by 123 cells, preferably waterproof, and must have a quality beam. I don't want a PT Tec40 beam, I am used to an ARC LSH-P beam, although it doesn't have to be as perfect as the ARC's. Must be a factory light, no mods. I don't want to pay 500$, but don't mind paying 100$ or so. So, what are my options? If I left out any criteria, let me know. Thanks again.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
How about an A2? Great beam quality, average brightness over the hour is probably the best with the incandescent regulation. Small size.

May sound passe' but how about a 6P? (I still love mine) Plus you can add the KL3 LED head if you want. Otherwise, about the same size, same bulb choices as G2 Nitrolon.

j

bigred

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I've been doing some research and have narrowed it down to the Pelican M6 and the Surefire E2e. The Pelican seems to win out in throw and brightness but the Surefire wins out in run time, size and quality. I see that the Nitrolon is rated at 65 lumens, E2e 60 lumens and M6 at 74 lumens. Would the E2e with its better lens and reflector outthrow and outshine the Nitrolon? This is what I am aiming for. I am leaning towards the M6 but am a sucker for high quality gear and obviously Pelican can't hold a candle to Surefire in terms of quality(perfectly understandable). I've read all the reviews and shootouts between these two and am still undecided. Boy, what a tough decision.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
bigred,
If you are going to EDC this light the E2E wins by a mile. If you MUST have the most throw the PM6 wins. You could carry the PM6 in a holster. I used to EDC a E2E in a holster, but now I EDC a Surefire A2 in a holster. The E2E is easy to carry in a front pocket, but even the A2 is a little too long for front pocket carry for me, the PM6 is larger still. The 2 cell C/D/G/P/Z are a little brighter than the E2E, but they are in the same ball park.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bigred said:
I see that the Nitrolon is rated at 65 lumens, E2e 60 lumens and M6 at 74 lumens. Would the E2e with its better lens and reflector outthrow and outshine the Nitrolon?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. The E2e will not come close to the G2 or any of the other SF lights that come standard with the P60 LA. Not in throw. It puts out a very wide beam with a larger hotspot, that is much better up close, but doesn't throw well.
P60 (65 lumens) on the left, E2e (60 lumens) on the right. Stinger in the middle. Not a great shot, but it shows how much more concentrated the beam of the P60 is.
fcf13da5.jpg

rlhess

Enlightened
Can it be an inch longer and 3/8 inch bigger in head diameter?

If so, then look at the Streamlight TL-3 incandescent. I don't like the feel of it as much as the Surefires and the tailcap doesn't truly lock out, but for $60 it is one heck of a light.

This is a relatively long throw light that still lights up a room nicely.

If I hadn't been infected with LED, it would still be in my day bag, but now an L6 is there and someday a KT4 Turbohead, too (they appear to be out of stock).

Cheers,

Richard

bigred

Newly Enlightened
The thing about the TL-3 is that it uses three 123 cells. I don't mind using 123 cells but I don't think I want to use three at a time. While at the Streamlight website looking at the TL-3 specs, I noticed the TL-2. It uses two 123 cells, has a runtime of approx. one hour and produces 105 lumens. This seems like it would be even brighter than the Nitrolon. How would the throw and beam of the TL-2 compare to the throw and beam of Pelican M6 and Surefire Nitrolon?