Help! I Just Plunged Into Debt Buying A M6!

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a Surefire M6. I don't know why and I can't afford it but I've always wanted one! I bought it off of a CPF member at a fair price even though I've seen them go for lower than I paid in the past. It's the one with a Pyrex lens and I don't know anything about them except from what I've read which is they're mostly "okay". Most folks nowadays do not recommend incadescent lights.

I live in a super rural area in the middle of a forest and would love a light that has super throw with a brilliant hotspot.

I've been a confirmed LED sort of guy but I've always wanted to try a M6. I know most of you confirmed LED people have long ago sold your M6's and I have always wondered why?

I know they eat batteries like a modern male Hollywood star does at a pile of dirty jockstraps but did I do okay? Please let me know and please be honest and also recommend any accessories that would enhance my M6 experience! Thanks.

Please help me justify my purchase!

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've just confirmed your Flashaholic status. Congrats!

Get a 12-pack of batteries and run the light on the LOLA (225 Lumens). If you start to think you made a mistake, put the HOLA in and you will be happy with it again and you can go back to the LOLA.

GET A BLACKHAWK M6 POUCH TO PROTECT IT. There's cheaper, and there's a couple that have thicker nylon, but the Blackhawk gives 100% coverage of the light and will also give you a great way to carry it.

Geode

Enlightened
Gene,

I believe you did just fine. I was looking at the one you bought and my web search revealed at least a couple of things. First the price was right. Second, the M6 seems like the Colt Anaconda (.44mag)among flashlights.

The only accessories I can think of are the FM27 Beamcover that you can see on Sean's site here and the humble Grip-n-clip. If you aren't familiar with the GNC, it is a neoprene sleeve with a cordura handle rig that makes carrying a flashlight easy and comfortable, especially in cold weather. Especially good for lights with the tail cap activation.

You are way ahead of me in flashlights and probably know this stuff already, but I wanted to support you on your purchase. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Heh, the 12 back of batteries doesn't begin to deal with the M6. Add a 72 pack ($90.00) to the 12 pack ($15.00) and you've got your order over $100 which gets you free shipping from Surefire.com and you'll have enough batteries to keep the M6 fed for a while.

Using the LOLA in the M6 seems to me to be missing the point. If you want LOLA, why not just get a dimmer light to begin with? If I get get an M6, it's HOLA all the way, baby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

By the way, the M6 does NOT have super long throw. It has a beautiful, round, smooth, even, WIDE beam. Just the thing for practicing those midnight helicopter rappels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geode,
First of all WELCOME to the forums!!! Thanks so much for your input and as a relative newcomer here, you know more than me about this thing! I like the advice about the FM27 Beamcover. I think I'll HAVE to go for one. Can you give me a link to that GNC my friend? I also appreciate your link to our dear friend Sean's site as Sean's site is a GOLDMINE of info and I always appreciate his easy to understand reviews and wonderful pictures! Thanks again Geode!

Beretta,
You've been here a long time and I respect your advice. Thanks so much for your input! I'll look into those Blackhawk pouches.

EDIT: paulr, THANKS!

Please keep the comments coming!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Gene,
Ya done good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
You're going to love it. I recommend the LOLA, lots of batteries (so many batteries that you don't mind using them) and the Blackhawk Pouch. here
http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=2488&d=1
Enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on! Let's hear some real critiques about this light other than it eats batteries! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'd rather hear accolades though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The M6 is great, you'll love it, it's not something you buy for its practicality, it's more like a high performance sports car. Beautifully designed and makes insane amounts of light. Do give the HOLA bulb a try even if you stay with the LOLA most of the time. Part of the fun of having a light like this is impressing your friends, and nothing comes anywhere near the M6 HOLA for that.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Using the LOLA in the M6 seems to me to be missing the point. If you want LOLA, why not just get a dimmer light to begin with? If I get get an M6, it's HOLA all the way, baby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

While the MN21 is awesome I use the MN20 most the time and love it. There is no other light that stays this bright and white for so long the thing is just incredible.

Geode

Enlightened
Grip-n-clip

Hello Gene,

Thanks for the welcome and kind words. The Grip-n-Clip is pretty low tech and will hide the beauty of your handle, but it is a sure way to be able to easily hold onto your flashlight in either grip and is great for extended holding times - walks, etc. Comes in D-Cell and C-cell size, not sure which you need. Should be able to find one at a local hardware store for less than $10.00. The link to a picture is below.

p.s. Dunsmuir is beautiful.

GNC

mporter

Newly Enlightened
Re: Grip-n-clip

Another low-tech solution for cold weather:

I've used that Johnson & Johnson Self-Adhering Elastic Bandage material, the stuff that sticks to itself but not to skin, to wrap around flashlight handles in cold weather. I know it sounds funky, but it works great.

You can custom wrap to fit any length or diameter you need and peel it off in seconds when you don't need it anymore. It's got a good texture for griping and, as a bandage material, it was especially designed to be skin friendly.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gene -

Your gonna love your M6. I run mine only with the 500 high output lamp. Like the others have said No sense in half measures here. It will be great fun up in the woods and mountains there. The light output is stunning and at a foot away the heat will warm up your hands.

It is a bad *** looking flashlight and the beam cover makes it look even more so.

I will never sell mine!

GregR

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Gene,

You want the bad news?

Ok, it's really hard to carry it inconspicuously in your pocket while wearing a suit.

Enjoy.

Tom

batterystation

Enlightened

I knew I should NOT have read this thread. That is one of the flashlights I do NOT have yet. You guys are NOT helping me. $5000 is a LOT of money for that light. (included are my burial expenses if my wife finds out)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Congratulations Gene. You have just done a wonderful thing. I love the M6. It's the only light that I've ever had that I really missed after selling it, not once, not twice, but three times..... only to purchase a replacement. The M6 is kick-*** with the HOLA and still very useful with the LOLA.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey guys, it sounds like I didn't do too bad after all! Ray, that endorsement coming from you really lights my fire because you've tried them all! Thanks for all the input gents. I figured it was time to take the debt plunge and get a REAL flashlight! I have some nice lights but the M6 always seemed to call out to me.

When they first came out, I thought they were just so much overkill. Twenty minutes to an hour on SIX 123's! That's nuts! Of course that was back when 123's were going at a discount price of around $5.00 a piece! With them down to around a dollar, the M6 doesn't seem so bad now. I WILL stock up on 123's!

Can you M6 owners help me out and tell me the best, (read CHEAPEST!), place to get the FM27 beamcover? I think they make the M6 look "beastly" and I like it! Oh yeah, does the M6 have a clickie?

Geode,
Thanks. It is beautiful here and especially since I have no neighbors! It's also a flashlight heaven sort of place. Some night raiding bears are going to get a shock as soon as I receive the M6! Thanks for the picture of the Grip-N-Clip. I just remembered I have one sitting in a drawer right now! It was off of a D cell mag and should fit.

Tom,
That's terrible but thank goodness I haven't worn a suit in over ten years!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

I have the beamcover, I thought it looked great too. Dan at TW tried to talk me out of it, but I wouldn't listen. I used it for awhile, but I got tired of it and I took it off. I thought it would protect the lens. IMHO skip the beamcover.
The M6 has a LOTC.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Hoghead. Wanna' sell the beamcover? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Gene,
No, I had to think about it though. I might want it to protect the lens in a backpack, etc.