Initial impressions and mini reviews of my Fenix flashlights

sydras

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks. I hail from Bangalore, India and I recently purchased a bunch of Fenix flashlights from Lightorati.

Here's an attempt to pen down my initial observations of each flashlight procured.

Small size flashlights:

E05 - Nice flashlight that runs on a single AAA cell. I use a Sanyo Eneloop Lite rechargeable AAA battery. I chose this over the LD01 as the LD01 price is double that of the E05.

I like that it tail stands and is usable around the house like a candle. It seems well suited for EDC purposes and I plan to use it accordingly.

E11 - Nice flashlight that runs on a single AA cell. The end switch is a little hard(but not as hard as the LD41). It has a floody beam and the LED on the E11 gives out NATURAL WHITE light.

I like that the E11 (and probably most single AA form factor flashlights) fits nicely into my hand.

I plan to use this light as a house light as it's too big for EDC and while the output is good enough and comparable or more that larger incandescents, the LD41 and TK21 already find use in both my cars.

E15 - Flashlight that runs on a single CR123A battery. This flashlight has been a bit of a disappointment. This is the only Fenix flashlight (from among what I'd purchased) in which the threads are not anodized. I run this light off a Nitecore CR123A battery.

The biggest problem is the irritating play between the battery and the tube when the light is turned off via the twist switch. I tried placing a 10p (paise not pence - what's a difference? a lot actually. Our indian rupee is worth dirt against the dollar/pound/euro and the 10p coin is not even in circulation i.e. not even legal tender) coin to compensate for the gap but both the tube and the coin got quite hot(the coin, very hot) when I powered the flashlight for around 5-6 seconds. At first, I thought I was imagining things but I re-tried this and voila, it happened again. After that, I decided not to mess around anymore more with my newly purchased E15.

This is unlike the E05 in which the battery fits like a glove. Also, the E15 is fatter and slightly heavier than the E05. You don't feel E05's increase in length over the E15 as much as you feel the thickness of the E15 over the E05 and overall, the E05 seems to be a much better EDC flashlight than the E15 unless you really want the higher output of the E15.

LD22 - Decent flashlight that runs off 2 AA batteries. The LD22 is a lot smaller that I'd imagined i.e. it's slightly fatter that a fancy writing pen.

I chose this light over the E25 even though the LD22 costed close to twice the price of the E25 mostly because of the hype surrounding this light. So far, I'm not thrilled to have done so but I'm also not exactly disappointed.

I like that the LD22 feels more premium that say the E11 or the E05. I also like the holster provided to protect the flashlight. However, I'm disappointed to note that the Fenix AOD-S diffuser that I'd purchased for use with this light does not fit will i.e. Ihave to force it down on the head a bit and I worry when/if it will come off.

I'm also unable to find a primary use for this light. It's too big for EDC and though the output is comparable or greater than larger incandescent flashlights, I now have larger LED flashlights for outdoor usage. Plus, the LD22 is a thrower and slightly less useful as opposed to a floody beam. I plan to use it as a standby house light.

Medium size flashlights:

E50 - Nice flashlight that runs on either one or two 18650 batteries. The LED on the E50 gives out NATURAL WHITE light.

It has the smallest hotspot as compared to my other medium sized flashlight (TK21, LD41) purchases. I like that it tail stands and that the output is The Fenix AOD-M diffuser fits nicely over the E50 head(can't say the same for my Fenix AOD-S diffuser and LD22).

I use the E50 as a house light for when the power goes out(which happens a lot in India). I would've really liked a holster instead of the belt clip thingy that came with this light as I don't plan to carry it around my waist.

LD41 - Nice flashlight that runs off 4 AA batteries. I use 4 Sanyo Eneloop XX batteries with this baby. I got it for the form factor. It is a little smaller than I expected it to be from seeing it online.

It does not tail stand and the end switch is the hardest to engage from among my flashlights. But, it's a nice light with the largest hotspot when compared to the E50 and the TK21.

No major gripes about this light. I would've liked it to tail stand (i.e. the buttons could've been recessed).

I like that it comes with a nice holster that protects the light. I'm considering keeping it in my wife's car to be used in case of an automotive emergency.

TK21 - Nice flashlight that runs of a single 18650 battery. I use a Fenix flat top 18650 battery to power this light. It has a cooler beam as opposed to the LD41 and the E50 and the size of the hotspot is in between that of the E50 and the LD41.

I opted for the TK21 over the TK22 as everything else being same, I could not perceive the lumen difference between the two in an online youtube video and I did not like the idea of using a different material for the crenellated steel bezel on the TK22. Plus, the TK22 is 1.5 times the price of the TK21.

The TK21 does not tail stand (which is something I believe Fenix should really incorporate into all of their designs) but I don't mind it so much for this form factor.

I like the tactical grip ring and it's removable too. I also like the nice holster provided and I'm considering keeping this in my car to be used as an automotive emergency light.

I purchased all my flashlights in the previous two months and I'm lucky to have gotten them just before the indian rupee nosedived against the dollar. What is funny though is that these lights are made in what can be considered our backyard (China and shipped from Hong Kong) and I have to pay dollar prices while sitting next door. But, I guess that's the thing about imports across the world i.e. you always pay dollar/euro price for what is not locally made.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a Fenix dealer and have no association with Lightorati besides being their customer for two orders. All opinions expressed are those of my own.

Last edited:

regulation

Newly Enlightened
I always EDC my E11 in my bag, the old version one. And use the TK21 at home with the diffuser. Not as many as you have. Lucky that you bought the lights before the rupee slump.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
E11 - Nice flashlight that runs on a single AA cell. The end switch is a little hard(but not as hard as the LD41). It has a floody beam and the LED on the E11 gives out NATURAL WHITE light.

I like that the E11 (and probably most single AA form factor flashlights) fits nicely into my hand.
Do you have the new version? I saw it in-store and the size looks fantastic.

sydras

Newly Enlightened
Do you have the new version? I saw it in-store and the size looks fantastic.

Yes, I have the new version of the E11. It fits well in my hand and looks pretty good. I think that I might've preferred the look of the earlier E11 though. The knurling can get a bit boring when you have many lights from the same manufacturer.

sydras

Newly Enlightened
I always EDC my E11 in my bag, the old version one. And use the TK21 at home with the diffuser. Not as many as you have. Lucky that you bought the lights before the rupee slump.

Yep, I'm really glad I got most of them before the rupee free fell last month against the USD. I was contemplating purchase of the TK35 and the TK41 but I've postponed those plans. Also, I'm having a re-think about the TK41 (8 X AAs are just too many and Sanyo Eneloop XX AAs are not exactly cheap).

I was considering the TK60 over the TK41 but considering the issues with buying into the D-Cell ecosystem, I've given up on the idea. Why no interest in rechargeable D cells is something I don't understand. It's a shame really. 2 rechargeable D cells seem much easier to handle that 8 rechargeable AAs. We don't get Tenergy here which I believe is about the only company that sells rechargeable D cells. And, I don't know where to get a D-cell NiMH charger from.

yowzer

Enlightened

You're the first person I've heard call the E11 a floody light. TIR optics like it has produce a fat hotspot and dim spill. It's a spotlight, not a floodlight. The E05, on the other hand... now that's a floody light.

(Both are nice flashlights)

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy sydras, and welcome to CPF :welcome:.

A very nice and helpful comparison of your lights. Well done. For me, tail standing is one of the basic criteria I have for a light purchase. I end up tail standing virtually every light at some point, and I'm always surprised when I see an otherwise excellent light released that looks like they went out of their way to make it so that it won't tail stand. Oh well.

In any case, I'll look forward to more of your impressions as you get a chance to really use all your new lights. Have fun.

RyeBread

Newly Enlightened
Your E15 got hot because you shorted it out. :(

As you probably already know, the battery tube is part of the flashlight circuit. Electricity flows from the positive end to the negative. The insides of battery tubes are not usually coated with an insulator, so when you put the coin in your tube, electricity flowed from the positive end, through the coin, then branched off, since the coin was in contact with 2 grounded conductors.

Some of the current went through the LED (I'm surprised any did at all actually), but the rest of the current went directly to the battery tube, to the negative end of the battery. That was the short circuit which caused the battery (and the rest of the light) to heat up so fast.

To remedy this, you could paint a few layers of paint onto the edge of the coin. That would act as an insulator.

Nice reviews! I'm considering buying another Fenix light, and seeing so many reviews in one place was really helpful!

sydras

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for taking the time to post your impressions.
You're welcome :).

You're the first person I've heard call the E11 a floody light. TIR optics like it has produce a fat hotspot and dim spill. It's a spotlight, not a floodlight. The E05, on the other hand... now that's a floody light.

(Both are nice flashlights)
I believe the packaging mentioned the light to be a floody light(I don't have it now though. I threw it away after noting the serial no.).

Also, the images of the E11 from the Fenix website i.e. http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=45&tid=11&cid=1#.UlZ-JhC9Jzc mention the lens to deliver a bright "flood light".

But, I'm not able to reach a conclusion from looking at the hotspot of my E11. I think that there may be something wrong with my E11 as the hotspot is all weird and not at all uniform. The LED does not appear to sit flat at the centre (Maybe I should send it in for a replacement).
Howdy sydras, and welcome to CPF :welcome:.

A very nice and helpful comparison of your lights. Well done. For me, tail standing is one of the basic criteria I have for a light purchase. I end up tail standing virtually every light at some point, and I'm always surprised when I see an otherwise excellent light released that looks like they went out of their way to make it so that it won't tail stand. Oh well.

In any case, I'll look forward to more of your impressions as you get a chance to really use all your new lights. Have fun.
Thanks Derek. Glad I could be of some help at CPF. Totally agree with you about the tail standing ability. It just makes the light so much more useful. I especially find it necessary when the lights go out and I need to tail stand a flashlight in each room.

Your E15 got hot because you shorted it out. :(

As you probably already know, the battery tube is part of the flashlight circuit. Electricity flows from the positive end to the negative. The insides of battery tubes are not usually coated with an insulator, so when you put the coin in your tube, electricity flowed from the positive end, through the coin, then branched off, since the coin was in contact with 2 grounded conductors.

Some of the current went through the LED (I'm surprised any did at all actually), but the rest of the current went directly to the battery tube, to the negative end of the battery. That was the short circuit which caused the battery (and the rest of the light) to heat up so fast.

To remedy this, you could paint a few layers of paint onto the edge of the coin. That would act as an insulator.

Nice reviews! I'm considering buying another Fenix light, and seeing so many reviews in one place was really helpful!
Hmm....I never thought about the possibility of the coin edge coming into contact with the battery tube. Thinking about it now, it actually explains what happened. A short certainly explains the sudden and rapid increase in heat.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. I will now look for something that is insulated around the edges.

Last edited:

Latest posts