Picking your day-to-day lights and their loadouts. What general system do you follow?

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a flashaholic you probably have your collection settled and an inventory of your choicest lights (both floody and throwy) awaiting future challenges. You strive to be prepared for every eventuality, but you obviously can't take all your lights and batteries with you...well most of you. :D

So it makes sense to have a carrying strategy for wherever you're going and a system designating what light(s), spare batteries and accessories to take and when.

If you where to put your system into writing, how and what lights including batteries and its accessories (if any) would you designate for each of the following tiers?

EDC TRAVELING

When traveling to any local home destination (i.e. get milk, restaurant or the movies.)
- Solo:
- Going with others:
When traveling outside of town/inside a city (i.e. commuting to work, going to the mall.)
- Solo:
- Going with others:
When traveling far out of town, perhaps to a suburban or unknown area (i.e. relatives.)
- Solo:
- Going with others:
When traveling out of state.
- Via ground:
- Via air:
When traveling out of country.
- Carry on:
- Luggage:

PRE-PLANNED

Camping
-
In my car
-
SHTF
- Bug Out:
- Bug in:

Add any categories if they are relevant to your situation/career/lifestyle which may foster ideas that others can utilize. :thumbsup:

scout24

Flashaholic
I generally travel by car with a box of 123's and an 8 pack of energizer AA lithiums already in the car. Backpack with an E1L and an E2e (MN02) with spares carrier stays in the car. Summer months, during the day, I may just carry an AA light, Proton or Thrunite T10 knowing I have more in the car, but generally have a McG ( Haiku or Mule) or my Milky Arnor in my pocket. Last time I traveled, I brought an E2e with twisty tailcap, MN02, and my spares carrier. E1L also. All in carryon with no hassles. :)

ASheep

Enlightened
My current loadout is multi-layered, and complete overkill.

Daily EDC, including Uni, work, and other general running around:
I usually wear combat boots, which have a pocket in them, containing a 4Sevens Preon 1 (Black head/tail Ti body w/limited run Warm White XP-G).
If I'm in the workshop, I'll have my Modified Novatac Storm with a Neutral White XM-L. It doesn't mind taking a beating, It's missing most of the anodizing on the bezel and clip.
If I'm not in the workshop, I usually have a neckchain with a Kuku427 40DD (High CRI XP-G with Ice Blue Tritium), and a Zebralight SC51w in my pocket.
In my car glovebox lives a Fenix TK20, and some spare Eneloops.

Formal/going out carry:
In a suit, I'll carry a 4Sevens satin Titanium Preon 2 (black body, Ti tail/head w/XP-G High CRI) for a little discrete class.
If I'm wearing a leather jacket (or similar large coat/jacket) I'll take my Surefire Aviator (with Koala onion ring super low Red LEDs and a Lumens Factory lamp).

EDC pack:

My EDC bag has an emergency kit (in a separate pouch) inside it, which contains a 4Sevens Quark AA Titanium, modified with a 90 CRI XP-G.
In a pelican micro case in my EDC bag I also have a Ra Twisty 85Tr, (for the super low red output in a bombproof body) and 6x 16340 cells.
I also usually carry a Zebralight H501w in my bag - one of my most used lights.
If I know I'll be walking/riding home after dark (usually winter only) I have a NW Olight S35 on standby in my bag.

On my bedside table lives a Ra Clicky 100 High CRI, with orange cerakote. And a second A2 Aviator YG.
Beside my bed lives a Surefire M4 Dominator for that "bump in the night" protection.

Camping:
If car camping, I take EVERYTHING!!! Plus solar chargers for eneloops and Li-ions. I generally end up using the Aviator and my H501w more than anything.
If we aren't using a coleman kero or gas lantern, I have a Solarforce L2 with a lantern head and Hicri XP-G drop in.

Cheers,
Alex

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC TRAVELING

When traveling to any local home destination (i.e. get milk, restaurant or the movies.)
- Solo: EagleTac TX25C2 XM-L2
- Going with others: SureFire C2 w/Kerberos Quad XP-G2 R4-5C
* No spares, may or may not take the AAA Tain Piccolo Nichia 219
When traveling outside of town/inside a city (i.e. commuting to work, going to the mall.)
- Solo: EagleTac TX25C2 XM-L2
- Going with others: SureFire C2 w/Kerberos Quad XP-G2 R4-5C
* No spares, may or may not take the AAA Tain Piccolo Nichia 219
When traveling far out of town, perhaps to a suburban or unknown area (i.e. relatives.)
- Solo: EagleTac TX25C2 XM-L2, AAA Tain Piccolo Nichia 219
- Going with others: SureFire C2 w/Kerberos Quad XP-G2 R4-5C, AAA Tain Piccolo Nichia 219
* Spares: 1X 18650

The reason I may carry the SureFire C2 when out with others vs the EagleTac when solo is because there's less 'tac' urgency when there's numbers. Where the edge is lost in lux, the C2 w/Kerberos quad makes up for it with its wide area illuminating power. oh, and it has a pretty nice tint to-boot. :D

When traveling out of state.
- Via ground: EagleTac TX25C2 XM-L2, SureFire C2 w/Kerberos Quad XP-G2 R4-5C, AAA Tain Piccolo Nichia 219
- Via air: EagleTac TX25C2 XM-L2, SureFire C2 w/Kerberos Quad XP-G2 R4-5C, AAA Tain Piccolo Nichia 219
* Spares: 2X 18650's, i4 Intellicharger
When traveling out of country.
- Carry on: EagleTac TX25C2 XM-L2, SureFire C2 w/Kerberos Quad XP-G2 R4-5C, AAA Tain Piccolo Nichia 219
- Luggage: None.
* Spares: 4X 18650's, i4 Intellicharger, 2X AAA Lithium Ultimate's

PRE-PLANNED

Camping
- SureFire 6P A19 extended w/Malkoff M61WLL, EagleTac TX25C2 XM-L2, AA Zebralight H51C, 4 diffusers
- 4 PaK-Lite 9V's, car port USB adapter, AA USB power bank, Cotton Pickers lithium USB charger, AA solar charger
* Spares: 1X 18650, 4X Alkaline 9V's, 8X AA Lithium Ultimate's, 4X AA Enloop XX's
In my car
- N/A
SHTF Bug Out
- EagleTac TX25C2 XM-L2, AA Zebralight H51C, 1 Pak-Lite 9V, 1 Diffuser
- Car port USB adapter, Cotton Pickers lithium USB charger
* Spares: 3X 18650's, 4 AA Lithium Ultimate's
SHTF TEOTWAWKI
- SureFire 6P A19 extended w/Malkoff M61WLL, EagleTac TX25C2 XM-L2, AA Zebralight H51C, 1 Diffuser
- 2 Pak-Lite 9V's, car port USB adapter, AA USB power bank, Cotton Pickers lithium USB charger, AA solar charger
* Spares: 2X 18650's, 8X AA Enloop XX's
SHTF Bug in
- Everything above

Yeah that's about it. A good brain dump and rationalization for your purchases. :D

Last edited:

tam17

Enlightened
My current loadout is multi-layered, and complete overkill.

Great introduction, I guess this applies for most of us :D

My rather minimalist system (or lack of) is as follows:

a) Daytime ultra-minimalist EDC (inconspicuous i.e. suitable for job, security checks@gov't buildings etc.): One Fenix LD01/E05, or one Tank007 E09 (when a bit more throw is needed), or one Fenix LD15/Jetbeam PA01/UltraFire H2 XM-L + one spare Eneloop of required size (containered), Nichia Fauxton on keyring as mandatory;

b) Daytime general EDC (free time and generally all occasions excl. job or visits to gov't facilities): As per "a)", plus one Nitecore EC2 in bumbag, backpack or cargo shorts/jeans/jacket pocket (with or without spare 18650);

c) Task-specific lighting (mostly headlamps, used for close-up work around the house, car, or at any time/place when free hands are required): One Tikka XP1 (neutral XP-G) or Ultrafire H2 (neutral XM-L) plus one small-sized EDC light (suitable to be held between lips for hands-free operation);

d) Night-time EDC (pretty much all occasions after first dusk): Nitecore EC2 or Solarforce L2/S7 XM-L, sometimes Jetbeam PA40W, all with or without spare batts (in accordance with estimated lighting needs and available space) plus one of the small-sized EDC flashlights as a backup;

e) Cycling combo (all night-time or any suspected prolonged daytime rides): Fenix AF02 cycle mount plus Solarforce L2/S7 LC-XML with anti-glare sticker, plus a filtered UltraFire H2 as a tail blinky (both with spare batts);

f)
Standby preparedness kit (title says for itself): Jetbeam PA40W plus couple of sets of Eneloops plus all available AA alkaline spares, or AAAs with extenders.

Cheers

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting post!

My day to day EDC is driven by what I'm wearing. If I have big pockets I carry bigger lights. My most common EDC is an Arc AAA plus what is in my backpack (workday carry). If I'm out on the town without my backpack I usually have a E2e w/Malkoff bezel or a E2DL strapped to my hip with a spare set of batteries.

Traveling over seas, I usually take my LX2. That most likely will be bumped for a EB1T. I love single cell lights. I always have a headlamp, a SF Minimus so I can use the same batteries. Those are in my backpack with a SC3 and a white AAA Glotoob. In my luggage I stash a E2e, SC3 with a MN02 LA, and a few AAA lithiums. The E2e has a twisty tailcap. The Arc AAA is alway in my pocket.

kelmo

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Flashlight app on phone and Peak Eiger 10180 on the keys carried for 95% of waking hours.

Remainder of lights are a bit 'picknmix' depending on my mood and not always used for the same situation- SC600, H51c, Xeno G42, Peak Logan 17500, 6P with triple 219...

Tyler A

Newly Enlightened
EDC/off duty- nitecore srt-5
On duty- surefire fury w/ combat ring on my duty belt, and surefire e1b in my back left pocket.
In my patrol car- fenix rc-40 and klarus xt-30. I keep a box of cr123a in the car as well to refill with because I am new to 18650s and am building my supply of them, and the car charger for the rc-40
I have a g2xpro in each of my emergency bags with 6 batteries in surefire spares carriers

T45

Enlightened
EDC TRAVELING

I almost always have 2 lights on me. My first criteria is format, ie, AA with AA, or CR123 with CR123. An Eagletac D25A2 and a Sunwayman L10A. Another setup I like is my Sunwayman C10R and a Quark Mini 123. At night I add a General Purpose light like my Surefire 6P or Quark 123^2, or maybe my Surefire E2L.

Again, matching battery formats is my first criteria. So I will pack extra batteries. My favorite battery carries are the Surefire SC3 for CR123s and the PowerPax Slimline for AAs. Recently got into the single spare battery carrier like those at Going Gear.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
Everyday EDC I carry a 4/7 AA Quark Tactical in Neutral white with a 14500. My work may cause me to leave from there and travel across a couple of states on an hours notice. So its nice to have a AA light so batteries are available at gas stations along the route. I also have a Jetbeam PA40 neutral in the glove box running 4xAA as back up to that. I also have a work bag with a 2x123 Neutral Quark X running on 16340's that stays on my person a work in a Maxpedition pouch with some basic tools, and tool kit. Woods/Camping/Fishing/Hunting I like the 18650 format (lots of runtime) and use a Nitecore MT26 or a bored Surefire 6P with 3 level neutral drop in. (Jetbeam 18650) Along with a Zebralight H51Fc running on Enelops. A pairing like this will get me through almost anything I need. ( I am looking at getting an 18650 headlamp) Night stand Lights I have taken to keeping a Jetbeam BC40 or Nitecore MT40 (Eagletac 18650's) in the night stand drawer along with a Quark 2xAA (lithium energizers) set to moonlight or low for bumps in the night. I have about 10-12 other lights that just sort of never found a home and get played with and put back on a shelf, some are outdated, or had some thing that bothered me in the UI or feel. Those lights just sort of hang around as spares.