HDS Systems        
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 969

Thread: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

  1. #121
    *Flashaholic* gunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    7,968

    Default MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Yes. I'm not thrilled by 2 modes, but the upgrade path is very enticing! I'm in for stainless!

  2. #122
    Flashaholic creyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    365

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Oh man this light looks PERFECT!

    I want one.

    I want one.

    I want one!

  3. #123
    Flashaholic Tofty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    271

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Is one of the cool features going to be the thing i saw a while ago? Cos that was really cool, and of course a unique design as always.

  4. #124

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Yes. I'm not thrilled by 2 modes, but the upgrade path is very enticing! I'm in for stainless!
    Thanks gunga,
    I'll be sure to add extra thrills into your package

    Quote Originally Posted by creyc View Post
    Oh man this light looks PERFECT!

    I want one.

    I want one.

    I want one!
    Thanks creyc

    Quote Originally Posted by Tofty View Post
    Is one of the cool features going to be the thing i saw a while ago? Cos that was really cool, and of course a unique design as always.
    Hi Tofty,

    You mean the thing that you instantly forgot about, the moment I put it away
    Kind of yes. Meaning, I'm not yet 100% sure if it will be ready for V1 but I've designed Zeus taking that "thing" into account so the install will be a snap! (though probably a twist rather than snap).

    I'm also working on implementing "the other thing" among other "other things"

    Tgwnn

  5. #125
    Flashaholic Tofty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    271

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name View Post
    Hi Tofty,
    You mean the thing that you instantly forgot about, the moment I put it away
    Kind of yes. Meaning, I'm not yet 100% sure if it will be ready for V1 but I've designed Zeus taking that "thing" into account so the install will be a snap! (though probably a twist rather than snap).
    I'm also working on implementing "the other thing" among other "other things"
    Tgwnn
    Hi Guy,
    To be fair it wasn't the MOST interesting of the things you showed me (that had to go to the Torpedo) but i'm glad it will be making an appearance soon.
    So long as it's retrofit-able to the V1, but even so how can people complain about a feature they won't be expecting, not being there.

    That's the problem isn't it, these project take so long to complete and you learn so much whist doing them that you end up with a dozen new project ideas for every project finished.
    I suspect the other thing has changed quite a bit from the prototype that i saw, perhaps some styling cues from the Zeus or a hole new look altogether.

    I know all your lights have had modularity as a key part of their design but might i suggest (not that there's a chance you haven't already thought of it) that your inevitable CR123/18650 sized light has a single unit light engine/reflector type drop-in like the P60. I think having the reflector/optic as part of drop-in is one of the important things that has made the P60 so versatile.
    I love the P60 drop-in but because of it's incandescent origins it's a pretty poor design for thermal transfer and the original Surefire cavity is a difficult shape to machine accurately. Others like Solarforce have tried to improve and simplify the design but this has led to some incompatibility.
    A new open-source drop-in design without the P60s draw backs would be great to see, and i'm sure your the person to pull it off.

    And then there's 'other things' as well, i can't even imagine whats next.
    Last edited by Tofty; 09-24-2013 at 02:03 AM.

  6. #126

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Quote Originally Posted by Tofty View Post
    Hi Guy,
    To be fair it wasn't the MOST interesting of the things you showed me (that had to go to the Torpedo) but i'm glad it will be making an appearance soon.
    So long as it's retrofit-able to the V1, but even so how can people complain about a feature they won't be expecting, not being there.

    That's the problem isn't it, these project take so long to complete and you learn so much whist doing them that you end up with a dozen new project ideas for every project finished.
    I suspect the other thing has changed quite a bit from the prototype that i saw, perhaps some styling cues from the Zeus or a hole new look altogether.

    I know all your lights have had modularity as a key part of their design but might i suggest (not that there's a chance you haven't already thought of it) that your inevitable CR123/18650 sized light has a single unit light engine/reflector type drop-in like the P60. I think having the reflector/optic as part of drop-in is one of the important things that has made the P60 so versatile.
    I love the P60 drop-in but because of it's incandescent origins it's a pretty poor design for thermal transfer and the original Surefire cavity is a difficult shape to machine accurately. Others like Solarforce have tried to improve and simplify the design but this has led to some incompatibility.
    A new open-source drop-in design without the P60s draw backs would be great to see, and i'm sure your the person to pull it off.

    And then there's 'other things' as well, i can't even imagine whats next.
    Hi Tofty,

    >>the thing
    Ahhh.... just wait till you see the new implementation!
    Its not just "the thing" anymore
    I borrowed a chapter from the disappearing coins magic book,
    and that way, no body would even know the feature is there until its time,
    and then a sleeping princess would come to life.

    and whilst I was reading the magic book, I came up with a few other new ideas too

    >>the other other thing
    totally new approach but most likely won't show up until V2 (perhaps most suited to the turbo head)

    >>a single unit light engine to fit future sizes...
    Yes, got that totally taken care of.

    and please....no more mind reading in public

    Tgwnn

  7. #127
    Flashaholic* KDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,009

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    When you rub the side of it a genie will appear. Sorry I gave it away.

  8. #128
    Flashaholic Tofty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    271

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Quote Originally Posted by KDM View Post
    When you rub the side of it a genie will appear......And grant you all the lumens that you desire. Sorry I gave it away.

    Sorry Guy, i knew you'd have it covered.

    There's too much intrigue going on, i can't take it, i think i'll go and hibernate for a few months to stop myself getting too impatient, it's the only way.

  9. #129

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Quote Originally Posted by KDM View Post
    When you rub the side of it a genie will appear. Sorry I gave it away.
    KDM,
    That might be version 77

    Quote Originally Posted by Tofty View Post
    Sorry Guy, i knew you'd have it covered.

    There's too much intrigue going on, i can't take it, i think i'll go and hibernate for a few months to stop myself getting too impatient, it's the only way.
    No Sorry's needed here and not too long.

    How about posting a photo of one of your own marvels here in the meantime to make the wait go faster?
    I'm sure everyone would like to see one of your creations.

    Tgwnn

  10. #130

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name View Post
    KDM,
    That might be version 77


    No Sorry's needed here and not too long.

    How about posting a photo of one of your own marvels here in the meantime to make the wait go faster?
    I'm sure everyone would like to see one of your creations.

    Tgwnn
    Count me in for version 77! What? Too early to start an "I'm in" list?

    Tofty - please share... BTW, I feel like going into hibernation too! I was just thinking yesterday that I can't wait and I wish I could stop thinking about the X and Zeus so much.

  11. #131
    Flashaholic* DBCstm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Heart of Texas
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    You can bide the time by pricing upgrades for your car. Look at high end watches. Dig into what the equipment costs to start your own photography business. Then, when you've got all that stuff priced out, you'll feel really good about buying new flashlights! What a bargain!

    ie: I have 4 "flash lights" for my camera's. 2 of the more powerful units at over $500 ea, and 2 slightly less powerful at $300 ea. For a flash. The powerful one's reach 150 yds. For a split second. Really? I have a $50 flashlight that will hit 600 yds for an hour!

    Last edited by DBCstm; 09-25-2013 at 06:39 AM.

  12. #132
    Flashaholic Tofty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    271

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Thanks for the invitation Guy, i don't want to hijack this thread but as the Zeus' won't be making an appearance for a while yet i might as well act as a distraction.

    So what do we want to see and read about?

    My Ti Dive Torch w/QTC Tail.




    My Brass Heatsink Lights 1 & 2.






    My 3D printed silver Torch.




    Or how about some upcoming projects?

    My Magnesium UV Torch (my very next full torch project).




    My Wooden Clad Stainless Steel Light.




    Or my overly ambitious Tungsten Torch.


  13. #133
    Flashaholic* KDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,009

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    WOW!!!

  14. #134
    Flashaholic* DBCstm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Heart of Texas
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    SMHMoG!

  15. #135
    Flashaholic* windstrings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    N Central Texas
    Posts
    1,784

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Nice!

    _____________________________________
    Alan
    Prev- Xeray BB 75W HID, Acro 990X, JET-I PRO, M1X LED,Oracle 35W HID , P1D Q5, L35-35 watt HID, Zebralight H30, H31W. & H60W LED, Quark MiNi 123, Quark MiNi 123 TI, Fenix PD 10 ti, DEFT LED-35/80W HID Mule, OLIGHT-SR90-2200L LED, 1.9watt blue laser, FFIII HID, Nitecore TM26

  16. #136
    Flashaholic Mike9028's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Phoenix/Boston
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    WICKED COOL

  17. #137

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Thanks for sharing Tofty. And thanks Guy for letting us diverge from Zeus for a brief while.

    Tofty - silver is my favorite precious metal and that 3D printed silver torch really caught my attention. Is that a skeleton body showing a red battery within?

  18. #138
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    knowing guy he.probably try to fit a magic ring . in that glows red when near mount doom, and blue when low charge, and red when in standby..

    after all we will all be referring to it as...

    My Precious....

    I have been here along time but after.losding my

  19. #139
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    after losing my previous id I decided to come back as rogers lol...
    I clearly.like all the custom lights above but would love to see The Dive with a 3xcree drop in...

  20. #140

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Quote Originally Posted by NowIC View Post
    Count me in for version 77! What? Too early to start an "I'm in" list?
    Hi NowIC,

    Never too early LOL
    Ok you're in for 77

    [QUOTE=Tofty;4286694]Thanks for the invitation Guy, i don't want to hijack this thread but as the Zeus' won't be making an appearance for a while yet i might as well act as a distraction.QUOTE]
    Hi Tofty,
    Beautiful photos but let me just comment that as good as they are, Tofty's creations look even better in the flesh.


    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRogersUK View Post
    knowing guy he.probably try to fit a magic ring . in that glows red when near mount doom, and blue when low charge, and red when in standby..
    Hi Captain,

    ...standby and mount doom may actually do better with a different color unless you like a bit of thrill in which case you could use one color for all the modes

    Allow me to quote Aslan who said its "a deeper magic from within".

    Tgwnn

  21. #141

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Tgwnn,

    What is the output of this light in lumens? Do we have options to pick the color of the trits?

  22. #142

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Quote Originally Posted by HaileStorm View Post
    Tgwnn,

    What is the output of this light in lumens? Do we have options to pick the color of the trits?
    Hi HaileStorm,

    Good questions, thanks.

    Trit colors > sure, these will be an optional pre-install choice so you can choose the colors.
    I'll have to check but as a minimum: green, blue, red, yellow, purple, etc...

    Output > still not released.

    Zeus has 2 voltage ranges depending on the battery type used
    1.5V AA (eg. Alkaline/NimH/etc)
    3.7V 14500 (li-ion AA)

    Power on 1.5V group will be lower
    Power on 3.7V group will be higher

    Pending some final testing but roughly 250lm with the 1.5V group on high mode (maybe more/maybe less).
    I'm tempted to push it a little higher, eg 300lm but may save that for V2 because I don't think the difference is worth the runtime impact (without additional modes to a AA only user) and of course the 3.7V group will provide you with many more lumens if you want it.

    Its funny but I was outside a couple of nights ago, and switched on one of the proto's running a AA and it was surprisingly more than adequate. The power of focus!

    Tgwnn

  23. #143
    Flashaholic creyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    365

    Default MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRogersUK View Post
    knowing guy he.probably try to fit a magic ring . in that glows red when near mount doom, and blue when low charge, and red when in standby..
    Actually I kind of like that irony..let's stick with the double red!

  24. #144
    *Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7,491

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™



    I NEED more UV lights...as long as they are very strong.



    Keep me in the loop on that.


  25. #145
    Flashaholic* DBCstm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Heart of Texas
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Nice tease. We already lust after Zeus, no need in making us drool while our eyes look all bugged. ;P

  26. #146
    Flashaholic* windstrings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    N Central Texas
    Posts
    1,784

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Focus eh?

    _____________________________________
    Alan
    Prev- Xeray BB 75W HID, Acro 990X, JET-I PRO, M1X LED,Oracle 35W HID , P1D Q5, L35-35 watt HID, Zebralight H30, H31W. & H60W LED, Quark MiNi 123, Quark MiNi 123 TI, Fenix PD 10 ti, DEFT LED-35/80W HID Mule, OLIGHT-SR90-2200L LED, 1.9watt blue laser, FFIII HID, Nitecore TM26

  27. #147

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Quote Originally Posted by creyc View Post
    Actually I kind of like that irony..let's stick with the double red!
    Hi creyc,

    Sure, no problem on my side

    Quote Originally Posted by DBCstm View Post
    Nice tease. We already lust after Zeus, no need in making us drool while our eyes look all bugged. ;P
    Some very nice work there...

    Quote Originally Posted by windstrings View Post
    Focus eh?

    _____________________________________
    Alan
    Hi Alan,
    I thought someone might pick up on that, but focus is relative because I'm so used to the flood of the HF's that even some modest focus can create some great results.
    I'll be holding off on the aspheric till the Turbo head is ready

    Tgwnn

  28. #148

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    PCB components for V1 PCB landed at the test facility today so whilst the design is done and has been simulated on software,
    circuits need to be tested to see how they really function when everything is on a board, and with different battery chemistries to see that everything is performing as expected.

    Everything is going extremely smoothly so far.

    I've been planning a crowdfunding debut, and was thinking of starting once the Torpedo X is in everyone's hands, feedback is in, and then as I move towards a production version Torpedo, launch it.

    At the same time, I'm also seriously considering a crowdfunding project for Zeus, with the primary benefit being I can make more than a handful, in addition to offering more metal variations right off the bat, along with rolling out the options/accessories at a faster rate than if I was to do it on an in-stock basis or even pre-order basis.
    I'd most likely be able to offer Aluminum, SS, Ti, Brass, Copper (all your favorites) in one spell, which is also very efficient in terms of component sourcing of course, rather than perhaps a new material every 3-4months.

    Feedback most welcome on that point of course (that means "please tell me what you think" )

    To keep things manageable in terms of who said "I'm in" for the meantime, and save me from having to come back and search through every single post, I set up a simple Zeus Interest Form on my website so you can reserve a priority spot for the first run when it happens.
    ( There's no commitment required at this stage so it might be wise to grab a spot if you even think you could want one).

    Tgwnn

  29. #149
    Flashaholic* DBCstm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Heart of Texas
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Nicely done! No less than what we've come to expect from the Master of Boxing Intensity. (ok, that one is kinda lame, but ya gotta admit that all MBI products are boxed superbly and have an unsurpassed intensity!)

  30. #150
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    321

    Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

    Done! And, but you could have guessed...Ti!!!!!!
    Th8tredude

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •