Malkoff        
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

I must be getting old. As much as I'd love to see it in Ti, the efficiency increase of Al is more appealing at this point. Can I reserve the right to change my mind?

I put in for a SS version. Love the weight of Al though.

Quote Originally Posted by KDM View Post
    I put in for a SS version. Love the weight of Al though.
    I think it is a problem when he makes it in a couple of different metals. I have a very hard time deciding which one, you can see what happened with the last lights from him:

And now I will probably add a couple of Zeus to that collection and also some Torpedoes.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

Very nice collection you have there HKJ! Ti would be my first option but it wasn't a listed option yet.
    Last edited by KDM; 09-27-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    I think it is a problem when he makes it in a couple of different metals. I have a very hard time deciding which one, you can see what happened with the last lights from him:

And now I will probably add a couple of Zeus to that collection and also some Torpedoes.
    Is the 2nd light from the left made of Bass? How do you keep track of the battery capacity so it doesn't over discharge? Does the light have Over discharge protection?

*Flashaholic*

Buttrock Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

These are pocket rockets...you (As in YOU) keep charge of the cell's charge by simply noting that the light's getting dimmer.

If its getting dimmer, its drawn down and you can throw in a freshie. You then use a DMM to measure the actual voltages to see how far down that was...and adjust your use accordingly.

If you leave the light on, it will suck the cell drier than a dingo donga.
    Last edited by TEEJ; 09-27-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Provided you're smart enough to use a DMM in the first place. I just attempted to measure voltage on a Samsung INR18650 20R while the DMM was set to Amperage. In about 3/100's of a second I burned 2 fingers and threw the cell on the floor! My 6 yr old was be-bopping all over the place asking a zillion questions and I got distracted. Duh! Bet I don't do THAT again! 20A hurts like ....well it's like spot-welding your finger tip.

Was pulling 5.18A through an XM-L2 T6 by the way.

Dale

*Flashaholic*

Good thing it burned you, because if the current went THROUGH you you might have been toast....fibbed out, etc.

People have died from a few ma if its routed bad.

I have large 12ga leads for checking amperage. I was pressing the tip of that lead onto the battery, spark bite toss. Finger still hurts! lol Yeah, lucky me, that's all I need is to get caught dead making a stupid mistake. :P

Thanks for all the posts and fassst signups to the list,
    and appreciate all the feedback too, some of which was as below

Titanium
    Definitely planning to make Titanium Zeus,
    its mostly a limit of how many things I can produce simultaneously which determines timing.
    Copper, same as Ti

Switch
    The Zeus switch is custom meaning its not like a standard P6 style switch-kit, rather its the raw smd/component switch, mounted on a custom PCB board/pad, with everything else completely custom too.
    We are currently reviewing the final smd switch choice to ensure the amperage rating is high enough to handle just about anything (upgrades). The switch is fairly easy to swap out though. (from memory) Requires unscrewing of one ring in the base of the tail and everything else is easily removed in case you ever need/want to upgrade/change it.

With all the designs I've delivered to date, the switch mechanism has often been the most difficult part to stabilize and implement due to size limitations and that in turn has resulted in hundreds upon hundreds of hours of inspection,testing and redesign, just on switches.

For Zeus, the switch design has to be simple to operate, 100% reliable in any circumstance, and also very easy to swap out.
    I believe its all of the above and more.

Tgwnn

Subscribed!

Actually I'm waiting for a Ti 3-mode (with a low around 3 lm), but most probably I'm not that patient and buy a Zeus from the first run

@Guy regarding the clicky switch and the waterproof features.
    * Are we going to be able to play with the switch (on/off l/h) underwater without damage the switch or flashlight?.
    * Since this guy is going to be used under a whole new diferent environment (underwater) how are you considering to stay away from wrong usage recalls, like people using this flaslight to go beyond +10m?.
    * Is it possible to use any kind of AA battery at that depth (10m)?
    * What is the expected life of the clicky switch?.

Guy what about creating a post with all the FAQs in that way you can direct the guys there if they want to read the whole subject, instead of answering multiple time the same question. That may save you some time ;-)
    Last edited by cactux; 09-28-2013 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post

If you leave the light on, it will suck the cell drier than a dingo donga.
    I never knew their dongas were that dry?

Prev- Xeray BB 75W HID, Acro 990X, JET-I PRO, M1X LED,Oracle 35W HID , P1D Q5, L35-35 watt HID, Zebralight H30, H31W. & H60W LED, Quark MiNi 123, Quark MiNi 123 TI, Fenix PD 10 ti, DEFT LED-35/80W HID Mule, OLIGHT-SR90-2200L LED, 1.9watt blue laser, FFIII HID, Nitecore TM26

Quote Originally Posted by emu124 View Post
    Subscribed!

Actually I'm waiting for a Ti 3-mode (with a low around 3 lm), but most probably I'm not that patient and buy a Zeus from the first run
    Thanks so much emu124

Quote Originally Posted by cactux View Post
    @Guy regarding the clicky switch and the waterproof features.
    * Are we going to be able to play with the switch (on/off l/h) underwater without damage the switch or flashlight?.
    * Since this guy is going to be used under a whole new diferent environment (underwater) how are you considering to stay away from wrong usage recalls, like people using this flaslight to go beyond +10m?.
    * Is it possible to use any kind of AA battery at that depth (10m)?
    * What is the expected life of the clicky switch?.

Guy what about creating a post with all the FAQs in that way you can direct the guys there if they want to read the whole subject, instead of answering multiple time the same question. That may save you some time ;-)
    Hi Cactux,

Thanks very much for the questions and the FAQ thing is such a great suggestion!
    Hopefully, I can keep it current but I'll plan to add an FAQ at the bottom of the first post and edit/update it as needed.
    Everybody, feel free to make suggestions on what to add or edit as needed.

Q. Are we going to be able to play with the switch (on/off l/h) underwater without damage the switch or flashlight?.
    A. Yes, that is the plan. We'll need to test of course but the design goal is to allow you to use it Zeus underwater.

Q.Since this guy is going to be used under a whole new different environment (underwater) how are you considering to stay away from wrong usage recalls, like people using this flashlight to go beyond +10m?.
    A. Wrong usage, the way I understand it is not a reason for recall if the usage instructions/limitations are made clear.
    I plan to make the limitations clear in the manual and package.
    Hoping I understood your question correctly but if not, please feel welcome to correct me as needed.

Q.Is it possible to use any kind of AA battery at that depth (10m)?
    A.Yes. Just like being in a submarine that is pressurised.

Q.What is the expected life of the clicky switch?.
    A. It will depend on the final choice but typically between 10,000 clicks as the absolute low end to 100,000 as a high end number.

Tgwnn

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by windstrings View Post
    I never knew their dongas were that dry?

If you use a DMM (Donga Moisture Meter) just be carefuil to not burn yourself!

You mean the DMM isn't for batteries?!? So THAT's what I was doing wrong! Where's a Donga, I've got something for his ornery a self!

Um, what's a Donga?

Never mind....reconfiguring my DMM to believe Li-ion cells are Dingo's.

CATARACT! See if Uni can catch the dingo! He's got DMM leads hanging from his ...well you'll know him when you see him!

Pesky varmints!

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by DBCstm View Post
    CATARACT! See if Uni can catch the dingo! He's got DMM leads hanging from his ...well you'll know him when you see him!

Pesky varmints!
    Those aren't leads, that's his....well, you'll know when you see him...

Default MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

Hmmm. Is this a mechanical switch (clicky) or an electronic switch?

I'd love 3-4 levels and titanium too

Quote Originally Posted by DBCstm View Post
    You mean the DMM isn't for batteries?!? So THAT's what I was doing wrong! Where's a Donga, I've got something for his ornery a self!

Um, what's a Donga?

Never mind....reconfiguring my DMM to believe Li-ion cells are Dingo's.
    Now see you there? You caught my mind in the gutter again!

When I'm tired my thoughts are like static electricity they go all over the place no real circuit board the follow!

Prev- Xeray BB 75W HID, Acro 990X, JET-I PRO, M1X LED,Oracle 35W HID , P1D Q5, L35-35 watt HID, Zebralight H30, H31W. & H60W LED, Quark MiNi 123, Quark MiNi 123 TI, Fenix PD 10 ti, DEFT LED-35/80W HID Mule, OLIGHT-SR90-2200L LED, 1.9watt blue laser, FFIII HID, Nitecore TM26

. :thumbup:
    Last edited by windstrings; 09-28-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Hmmm. Is this a mechanical switch (clicky) or an electronic switch?

I'd love 3-4 levels and titanium too
    The spec on the first page says clicky. I hope he sell spares.

Oh thanks, missed that. I put my name on the list. Really looking forward to this...
    Funny, I wasn't before. Now I WANT ONE!

Guy also states that testing is being done to ensure the switch is capable of handling the amperage of future upgrades meaning that it's fully capable of handling the current as it's set up and he's even going to lengths to ensure it will still be capable when he get's new heads, drivers, emitters in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name View Post
    Hi HaileStorm,

Good questions, thanks.

Trit colors > sure, these will be an optional pre-install choice so you can choose the colors.
    I'll have to check but as a minimum: green, blue, red, yellow, purple, etc...

Output > still not released.

Zeus has 2 voltage ranges depending on the battery type used
    1.5V AA (eg. Alkaline/NimH/etc)
    3.7V 14500 (li-ion AA)

Power on 1.5V group will be lower
    Power on 3.7V group will be higher

Pending some final testing but roughly 250lm with the 1.5V group on high mode (maybe more/maybe less).
    I'm tempted to push it a little higher, eg 300lm but may save that for V2 because I don't think the difference is worth the runtime impact (without additional modes to a AA only user) and of course the 3.7V group will provide you with many more lumens if you want it.

Its funny but I was outside a couple of nights ago, and switched on one of the proto's running a AA and it was surprisingly more than adequate. The power of focus!

Tgwnn
    Thanks, tgwnn! This sounds like an outstanding light! Very, very tempting as I've never owned a 14500 and a custom light. This might just be my first. :thumbup:

Do we have an expected ballpark price yet?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by lightcycle1 View Post
    Do we have an expected ballpark price yet?

This from Guy's post #33 in this thread...

"No firm idea of price yet as that's always the last thing in my mind when I design something.
    I just like to aim for best, and then let the rest work itself out.

I'm still waiting on final costs for the circuity, etc..
    but a very rough guess for AL/SS would be $130-$160 (+optional trits pre-installed).
    There are still a few things to work out on the cost side and some things not yet factored in and of course depends on the final "what's in the box" and what could be an "option" but as long as everything falls into place the way I'm planning it,
    Zeus™, could well be the last AA flashlight you ever need/buy."

Good enough thanks. I didnt read closely the whole thread. Sounds reasonable.

Reserved a slot for a Zeus and subscribed. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by lightcycle1 View Post
    Good enough thanks. I didnt read closely the whole thread. Sounds reasonable.

I know, it's easy to miss posts when the thread is active, and if you aren't reading almost daily then you're sure to miss stuff. I happened to remember that Guy posted something about pricing and since this thread is still young and therefore short, it was easy for me to find it.

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast