Acebeam        
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

Quote Originally Posted by DBCstm View Post
    Oversized is good. Too many slightly built ultra-lightweight lights out there. About time somebody made one that can be run over with a truck and have no ill effect. What with everybody modding lights and bumping power, it's also about time for some thick walled heavy construction. I'm up for it, make it weigh 5 lbs so it won't get lost in a pocket. I've seen customs made out of Tungsten, really cool! Don't know if we need you to go THAT far, but robust can only be a good thing in an over-driven light.

D
    Copper-Tungsten Alloy is really cool. nice copperish color and doesn't tarnish too bad... I've got a set of darts made out of it, and after 20+ years, just a slight, nice patina.

Sounds perfect!
    Most people don't like their copper tarnishing.

Prev- Xeray BB 75W HID, Acro 990X, JET-I PRO, M1X LED,Oracle 35W HID , P1D Q5, L35-35 watt HID, Zebralight H30, H31W. & H60W LED, Quark MiNi 123, Quark MiNi 123 TI, Fenix PD 10 ti, DEFT LED-35/80W HID Mule, OLIGHT-SR90-2200L LED, 1.9watt blue laser, FFIII HID, Nitecore TM26

Oversized is good. Too many slightly built ultra-lightweight lights out there. About time somebody made one that can be run over with a truck and have no ill effect. What with everybody modding lights and bumping power, it's also about time for some thick walled heavy construction. I'm up for it, make it weigh 5 lbs so it won't get lost in a pocket. I've seen customs made out of Tungsten, really cool! Don't know if we need you to go THAT far, but robust can only be a good thing in an over-driven light.

D
    Thanks Dale,

I'm being modestly tame in the overdrive part but of course, there's an option to overdrive.
    One of the key design criteria for Zeus is "Tough" so size is not a concern
    but with all the possible config changes its going to be possible to adjust the length.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbrat View Post
    Copper-Tungsten Alloy is really cool. nice copperish color and doesn't tarnish too bad... I've got a set of darts made out of it, and after 20+ years, just a slight, nice patina.
    Hi mcbrat,

Actually, I'd personally love to make a copper Zeus when the time comes

Quote Originally Posted by windstrings View Post
    Sounds perfect!
    Most people don't like their copper tarnishing.

Currently hammering away on the PCB side of things for Zeus.

Looking good in the software simulator and have completed testing the mounted components on a rough PCB.
    Some things can only be verified on a fabricated PCB due to differences in wire lengths, gauge, cross talk and other electronics related issues so we are now at the stage of getting that ready and assembled, then tested.

Tgwnn

IMO copper is great because develops a very peculiar and diferent patina on each item over time.

I might end up having to wait for the options on this one, wife's nephew is getting married in Jan and we're going to have to travel to be there...I've been "volunteered" to shoot the wedding. So not only does it not pay, but we've got to spend a fair chunk in travel expenses as well (1300 mile round trip, approx.) Not sure how we're gonna pull that one off, unless Santa gives Rebates.

But waiting for copper or Titanium in this light might be a worthy venture, copper would be an excellent body for pushing some limits with, would it not? Methinks some limits are soon to be nudged upwards...

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by cactux View Post
    IMO copper is great because develops a very peculiar and diferent patina on each item over time.
    Hi cactux,

Hard to go wrong with copper in general but not sure I'd use it as my full time light as scratches to a well developed patina can be somewhat shocking.

I might end up having to wait for the options on this one, wife's nephew is getting married in Jan and we're going to have to travel to be there...I've been "volunteered" to shoot the wedding. So not only does it not pay, but we've got to spend a fair chunk in travel expenses as well (1300 mile round trip, approx.) Not sure how we're gonna pull that one off, unless Santa gives Rebates.

But waiting for copper or Titanium in this light might be a worthy venture, copper would be an excellent body for pushing some limits with, would it not? Methinks some limits are soon to be nudged upwards...

Dale
    Hi Dale,

Can't you ask your nephew to delay the wedding a few months
    Did they know about Zeus when they set the date?

Just kidding of course.

but whilst I'm in that frame of mind....

I'd recommend

A Zeus for him, and Red HF-R for her

Seriously, wish them will and though these things can be a stretch,
    they are always for the good.
    Going out of your way to share, spread and enhance the happiness of others,
    nothing more worthy

Tgwnn

I thought I'd posted these but maybe not....

A quick snapshot I took as I was walking through a field some time ago with Zeus #X001.

Za control shotte (the spelling is fine if you use a cool European accent)

Ze beam shotte

No camera control, no fstops (whatever they are) just saw a chance and took it
    I was pointing towards the ground at a shallow-ish angle about 10-15 meters away to avoid waking/scaring any farmers and prevent the UFO hunters from honing in on my location.

As I recall, it was pretty dark and when I blasted the row of plants, it was a little too bright.

Plenty of time for more of those, in the meantime I'm still making some last minute enhancements to the wickedest duty-ish sized flashlight kit that's landed in your arsenal for....I dunno how long.

Its fortunate that the workshop don't get too shocked anymore each time I say "just one more thing" but I feel like the V1 spec is now nailed and ready. Working really hard on making some of the must have options available as default from the get-go.

Tgwnn

Flashaholic*

Default MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

That's perfect. Lets do this!

-Alex

Impressive! This was taken on your phone, no? Yeah, methinks me's gonna be liking this one!

Sammy Hagar:
    50,000 watts of power
    And it's pushin' overload
    The beast is ready to devour
    All the metal they can hold

Reachin' overload
    Start to explode

It's your one way ticket to midnight
    Call it heavy metal
    Higher than high, feelin' just right
    Call it heavy metal
    Desperation on a red line
    Call it heavy metal Zeus (the tungsten model)

Last edited by DBCstm; 10-11-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Flashaholic

wouldn't . these be cool if we could mount them on a head strap for hands free use...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRogersUK View Post
    wouldn't . these be cool if we could mount them on a head strap for hands free use...
    Nitecore HB02

Excellent headband. Every flashlighthead should have one or two.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, that's all my thinning hair needs is a hot light and blazing lumens perched on my noggin! :P

But, we could carry more than one this way, and have hands free for HF's and Torpedo's!!!

Flashaholic

ok I will.take credit for the idea. but in.no way am I to blame for beam shot burns on the scalp or singed hair.

lol.... me thinks torpedo over right ear two zeus on.top and a hf over left ear. but just be careful we don't make shops renavigate over the Atlantic ...lllol

Awesome! Can't wait!

Since were all talking about different flashlight materials, how bout making the Zeus (or Torpedo, or ______ ) out of. Nickel Silver at some point? It's a sweet metal, nice and heavy, and it patina's nicely too. Also, buttery smooth threads, even with no lubricant!

And Guy, I had a thought about switches. Maybe this has already been investigated. We each have our preference as to a normal clicky, or a reverse clicky. Is it possible to combine the best of both worlds? Here's how it would work. One would get the momentary on half press, click on with a full press. Then, once on, it would act like a reverse clicky, meaning a half press would let you switch modes and only a full press would then turn it off. Hope this made sense.

And could it be a "quiet" switch? Some switches seem to make quite a racket when they Click!!!

These are just a couple ideas flying around my head
    Welcome to the Dark Side! Which just also happens to be the Light Side.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatrowned View Post
    Since were all talking about different flashlight materials, how bout making the Zeus (or Torpedo, or ______ ) out of. Nickel Silver at some point? It's a sweet metal, nice and heavy, and it patina's nicely too. Also, buttery smooth threads, even with no lubricant!
    I think you're on to something. I really like nickel silver too. For most of my lights I usually opt for aluminum due to the lower weight and the fact that I mostly carry in or on my pocket and want to keep it from weighing down my pocket too much. But when holding one in my hand I definitely prefer the heavier weight of something like stainless steel. I only have one nickel silver light but I very much enjoy its look and feel. I would much prefer nickel silver over stainless steel or any of the heavier metals.

Quote Originally Posted by NowIC View Post
    I think you're on to something. I really like nickel silver too. For most of my lights I usually opt for aluminum due to the lower weight and the fact that I mostly carry in or on my pocket and want to keep it from weighing down my pocket too much. But when holding one in my hand I definitely prefer the heavier weight of something like stainless steel. I only have one nickel silver light but I very much enjoy its look and feel. I would much prefer nickel silver over stainless steel or any of the heavier metals.
    I have a lot of lightweight lights and like you say I prefer them for daily carry but the Zeus will be something special and deserves a special material. Heavy does feel nicer in hand.

Guy, if you're keeping a list on this, switch my earlier in this thread Ali Zeus request for SS, if possible

I like that it has no cnurling but one thing i dont like, the tritium slots, i dont like tritium and when i order the light without tritium i will have the filigree empty slots, this could be looking weird

Here lurking still...once again, you have my attention Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by climberkid View Post
    That's perfect. Lets do this!
    -Alex
    Thanks Alex

Impressive! This was taken on your phone, no? Yeah, methinks me's gonna be liking this one!
    Thanks Dale
    Yes, that was on my phone.

Hi Captain,

If you have the right shape head, that should be no problem

Quote Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post
    Nitecore HB02

Thanks Steven

Quote Originally Posted by lightcycle1 View Post
    Excellent headband. Every flashlighthead should have one or two.
    I think I have one of those somewhere,
    just never used it.
    Maybe something I can plug directly into my ear would be cool.

Yeah, that's all my thinning hair needs is a hot light and blazing lumens perched on my noggin! :P

But, we could carry more than one this way, and have hands free for HF's and Torpedo's!!!
    I can make a custom velcro strip that you can super glue to your forehead and then you can easily attach/detach things as needed
    Alex had previously suggested a very cool helmet/hard hat attachment too, that should work just fine.

ok I will.take credit for the idea. but in.no way am I to blame for beam shot burns on the scalp or singed hair.

lol.... me thinks torpedo over right ear two zeus on.top and a hf over left ear. but just be careful we don't make shops renavigate over the Atlantic ...lllol
    Not sure if that's going to be enough but its a good start (just kidding of course)

Quote Originally Posted by rejsr View Post
    Awesome! Can't wait!
    Hi rejsr,
    Me tooooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Megatrowned View Post

And Guy, I had a thought about switches. Maybe this has already been investigated. We each have our preference as to a normal clicky, or a reverse clicky. Is it possible to combine the best of both worlds? Here's how it would work. One would get the momentary on half press, click on with a full press. Then, once on, it would act like a reverse clicky, meaning a half press would let you switch modes and only a full press would then turn it off. Hope this made sense.

And could it be a "quiet" switch? Some switches seem to make quite a racket when they Click!!!

These are just a couple ideas flying around my head
    Hi Megatrowned,
    Thanks very much for the suggestions.

Nickel Silver, never considered that before.
    No idea how popular it is but I recall that some folks had nickel related allergies.
    Happy to consider it

Switch,
    actually that was exactly what I sent to some of the switch manufacturers.

1/2 press for mom-on (during off position)
    1/2 press for mom-off (during off position) to allow for easy mode changing

At the moment, I have some McClicky switches on the way to the workshop for a size check.
    I'm hoping they can squeeze in with no required adjustments length wise.
    My preference is a custom made switch but as the McSwitch is both popular and well tested,
    I'm happy to use it in V1 or at least until I feel we have something that is:
    as reliable (or better)
    as power compliant (or better)
    functionally equivalent (or better)

Quote Originally Posted by NowIC View Post
    Thanks NowIC,
    Ok, now I have to look into this....

Quote Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post
    I have a lot of lightweight lights and like you say I prefer them for daily carry but the Zeus will be something special and deserves a special material. Heavy does feel nicer in hand.

Guy, if you're keeping a list on this, switch my earlier in this thread Ali Zeus request for SS, if possible
    Thanks Steven,
    Sure, not a problem.

Feel free (everyone) to re-submit the interest form with any updated preference and I'll default to using the more recent submission.

I'm finding sometimes, I feel like I want the heavy one and sometimes the lighter one.
    choices, choices....

Quote Originally Posted by Danielsan View Post
    I like that it has no cnurling but one thing i dont like, the tritium slots, i dont like tritium and when i order the light without tritium i will have the filigree empty slots, this could be looking weird
    Hi Danielsan,

We can think of something to put in there for you
    I might be able to offer some tails with no tritium slots if I have an estimate in advance.

There are however multiple holes in the tails (lanyard, clip, trits) so i don't think it looks especially weird.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Here lurking still...once again, you have my attention Guy.
    Hi nbp,

Thanks again for lurking

Tgwnn

p.s. for the lurkers who haven't posted, thanks so much for lurking also

The nickel plated aluminum lights that Jason at Prometheus lights builds have a extremely durable, functional, and beautiful finish to them. I also like how it coats the threads for wear resistance and improved electrical continuity.

Looks great so far Guy.
    (lurker who hasn't posted yet)
    "We're all born bald, baby." Telly Savalas
    "Who loves ya, Baby?" Kojak 1973
    "Greeks don't threaten. They utter prophecies." Kojak 1973

I just put together a small light (4") with triple xp-g2's and a solid inch of copper in the head (3 ounces worth, nearly doubling the weight of the light to 6 1/2 oz). The weight feels superb in the hand, front heavy to be certain, but it makes me very aware of what a solid copper Zeus or SS version would feel like. There is something reassuring about the solid bar stock feel of a heavy light in hand, and when it performs, well then it's just Sweet!

At the moment my little beastie is running in direct drive at some 1800 lumens, will be toning that down for longevity and heat control to probably 1300 lumens.

Really looking forward to seeing the Zeus and it's refined bossy character.

Edit: forgot to mention...I have a McClicky in this one as well as several others I've modded and find that the momentary half-press is extremely sensitive. It takes very little pressure or forward movement to activate the light. I am actually thinking about taking one apart to see if this sensitivity can be addressed. To easy to inadvertently engage the mega-blaster. Makes me somewhat afraid to drop this one in a pocket, as it's 7A+ start-up is quite intense. Thought it should be known to be careful with these, taking the bezel off or making relatively simple adjustments can fin the touch sensitive switch engaging the light in your eyes. Ask me how I know....
    Last edited by DBCstm; 10-15-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Flashaholic*

I just put together a small light (4") with triple xp-g2's and a solid inch of copper in the head (3 ounces worth, nearly doubling the weight of the light to 6 1/2 oz). The weight feels superb in the hand, front heavy to be certain, but it makes me very aware of what a solid copper Zeus or SS version would feel like. There is something reassuring about the solid bar stock feel of a heavy light in hand, and when it performs, well then it's just Sweet!

At the moment my little beastie is running in direct drive at some 1800 lumens, will be toning that down for longevity and heat control to probably 1300 lumens.

Really looking forward to seeing the Zeus and it's refined bossy character.

Edit: forgot to mention...I have a McClicky in this one as well as several others I've modded and find that the momentary half-press is extremely sensitive. It takes very little pressure or forward movement to activate the light. I am actually thinking about taking one apart to see if this sensitivity can be addressed. To easy to inadvertently engage the mega-blaster. Makes me somewhat afraid to drop this one in a pocket, as it's 7A+ start-up is quite intense. Thought it should be known to be careful with these, taking the bezel off or making relatively simple adjustments can fin the touch sensitive switch engaging the light in your eyes. Ask me how I know....
    Pictures or it didn't happen.

-Alex

Alex, I assure you it DID happen! Being the stubborn individual I am, well, my friends are happy about my persistence even if my wife and family sometimes are not.

Out of respect to Guy's thread, I won't elaborate here.

@DBCstm, would a hard press switch boot help? I've also loosened the switch, sometimes when it's tightened more they tend to require less pressure to activate.

I'll check that KDM, thanks. I would have sworn that I got a hard-press boot as well as a soft-press boot when I got my first McClicky from Lighthound, but do you think I can find it now? Nooooooooo! lol I'm about out of time on this build, but where could I find hard-press boots, Lighthound?

Flashaholic

Hey DBCstm, I've gotten them at Oveready.
    Th8tredude

Thanks th8tredude, Oveready had a medium press for $2, with a $4 shipping so I got 3 of them. Those copper Cryos bezels were very hard to turn away from! Does anyone know if one of those will fit onto a Solarforce L2P light? (As if I really need to know...)

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast